Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592717 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2450 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
If we all just ignore Patcher, he'll go away. Speaking his name only gives him more power.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2451 on: March 12, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
The Wii U will be successful just on the premise of allowing gamers to have Nintendo first party and third party games on one single system. Why spend money on a Xbox to play GTA and then buy a Wii U to play Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash Brothers when you can have everything on one console?

Because most of them already own PS3s and Xbox 360s. Just saying.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: March 12, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
To be fair to Pachter, he did say the Wii U will be a Dreamcast for Nintendo if it is a X360 with a tablet controller that is priced more than US$150. It's a hypothetical. Also, he goes on to say (what we all know :p) that he knows nothing.

Sure, it is annoying that he doesn't seem to know of the rumblings and rumors of the Wii U's capabilities, but whatever.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 12, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
If we all just ignore Patcher, he'll go away. Speaking his name only gives him more power.

like Voldemort!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: March 12, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
The only logical connection I can see between the Wii U and the Dreamcast is the possibility that the Wii turned off core gamers the same way the 32X/Saturn nonsense turned people off of Sega.  This assumes that the Wii U cannot succeed with only the casual audience.  This also is not the argument that Pachter is making.  He's thrown out some random prediction and I had to come up with some logical argument to support it.  He's just basing it on inadequate hardware, which wasn't even a factor in the Dreamcast's demise.

Having the weakest hardware is not suicide by a longshot.  However I think it is also ridiculous to assume that having the worst hardware is somehow a requirement for success.  The SNES was superior to the Genesis and it outsold it and prior to the Wii no one INTENTIONALLY tried to put out weaker hardware.  The previous winners were all cutting edge hardware when they were released and only got bested by hardware that came out after.  It isn't like Sony intentionally decided to make weaker hardware with the PS1 and PS2; both consoles were beasts when they were released.  And realistically wasn't the Saturn the weakest console in the 32/64 bit generation anyway?  The PS1 doesn't even follow the "rule".

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
Saturn was more powerful in some senses, less in others.  It was a pain to program for (worse than the N64) but because of the RAM expansion there were games on the Saturn that were perfect ports, whereas on the PS1, they had to be modified.  This particularly affected fighting games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: March 12, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
Inadequate hardware would have been a major problem for the Dreamcast if it had lived longer than it did. Since it was more or less dead by the time the GameCube and Xbox launched that issue never became that prominent.

The Wii U has the potential to be like the Dreamcast in that it may launch too far ahead of its competition. If Sony and Microsoft were willing to wait until 2014 and Nintendo weren't able to build a sizable user base of traditional gamers by that point, Nintendo could be in real trouble by then. Of course, that's a whole lot of ifs and it's way too soon to be saying anything like that, which I'm fairly certain Pachter isn't.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
To be fair to Pachter, he did say the Wii U will be a Dreamcast for Nintendo if it is a X360 with a tablet controller that is priced more than US$150. It's a hypothetical.

Hasn't it already been confirmed that the Wii U is at least 5-6 times more powerful than the PS360? Every developer who has received dev kits seems to have been pleased and impressed. I doubt that would be the case if it was just a 360 with a tablet tacked on.

The SNES was superior to the Genesis and it outsold it and prior to the Wii no one INTENTIONALLY tried to put out weaker hardware.

Actually, the CPU of the Genesis was faster than that of the SNES, but the SNES had better sound and graphics capability. So it is debatable which of those two systems were the more powerful; the Genesis had the speed (making fast games like Sonic possible), but the SNES games looked and sounded better. So which criteria do you go with in deciding which was more powerful? If you were to factor in the 32X addon I think that would probably put the Genesis ahead, at least in theory.

It also should be noted the Genesis was ahead during the early years of the 16-bit generation, but the SNES eventually did catch up and overtake it. But in the end it was still a close race. Kinda like a neck and neck PS3 vs. 360 kind of race.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:44:14 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: March 13, 2012, 12:56:05 AM »
Two Tribes Talks Toki Tori 2
try to say that 3 times fast....
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2012/03/11/4cr-interview-two-tribes/
4. With the game now set to release on the Wii U digital store (WiiUware? Wii U eShop?), what are your plans for this specific version? You have mentioned a level editor, but I’m sure you already have other ideas as well.
There are a lot of things we can do with a controller like that. We’ve been thinking of using the camera to measure light intensity and translate that into the game, or perhaps having a Tokidex for all the creatures in the game.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: March 13, 2012, 01:29:17 AM »
Epic VP Mark Rein say's he'll be shocked if Wii U doesn't do well. That's cause he knows he's got the UE4 on it!

"I like the Wii U. I think E3 will be a big eye-opener for people,"

"I played Batman: Arkham City on the Wii U and they are doing some really cool stuff with the controller.

"Do you remember the Zelda demo they had on it? Would you not buy a Wii U just to play that? Of course you would. That's what Nintendo is all about. Their hardware is the software delivery service for their great content. That Zelda demo was gorgeous and we can do even more than that with Unreal Engine 3. I think it will do great."
It's a great brand that a lot of parents really trust and they're probably ready to buy their kids an HD Wii that does that much more than just being an HD Wii.
"I'd love it if they'd done it last year, but I'm excited for them to do it this year. I'd be shocked if it doesn't do well.

"Did you play that Battle Mii game? Two players would play with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk and one would play with the Wii U controller?

"I would buy a Wii U to play that game in a heartbeat. And I hope people make those kind of games with our technology. I think we've yet to really see what the Wii U can do and I think at E3 this year they're going to shock us."

Edit:
Just saw a whole topic about this. Honestly I didn't make this post late on purpose!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:44:51 AM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »

I heard you have to trick him into saying his name backwards and he will be sent away to his home dimension.

(sorry for the off topic remark, I just couldn't help myself.)  :)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 13, 2012, 03:33:38 AM »
Was that a Lois and Clarke episode at one stage?

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 13, 2012, 04:28:57 AM »

Nah, it's a know recurring Character in the comics of Superman and Superman the animated series, where Supes always comes up with a way to get his to say his name backwards to send him back to the 5th dimension.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2463 on: March 13, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
It also works on Alex Trebek.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2464 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »

Nah, it's a know recurring Character in the comics of Superman and Superman the animated series, where Supes always comes up with a way to get his to say his name backwards to send him back to the 5th dimension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Mxyzptlk

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Mxyzptlk
I was fairly sure he been around for a while.  He always screamed Golden Age to me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »
The Wii U has the potential to be like the Dreamcast in that it may launch too far ahead of its competition. If Sony and Microsoft were willing to wait until 2014 and Nintendo weren't able to build a sizable user base of traditional gamers by that point, Nintendo could be in real trouble by then.

Actually, if the NextBox and PS4 were 2014 machines, I think the Wii U would be in an   excellent position. I think there's a lot of pent up demand amongst the traditional gaming crowd for new hardware, and Nintendo's first party IP should be able to pull in at least a sustainable baseline of users in the worst case scenario.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
The Wii U has the potential to be like the Dreamcast in that it may launch too far ahead of its competition. If Sony and Microsoft were willing to wait until 2014 and Nintendo weren't able to build a sizable user base of traditional gamers by that point, Nintendo could be in real trouble by then.

Actually, if the NextBox and PS4 were 2014 machines, I think the Wii U would be in an   excellent position. I think there's a lot of pent up demand amongst the traditional gaming crowd for new hardware, and Nintendo's first party IP should be able to pull in at least a sustainable baseline of users in the worst case scenario.

That's why I included the second part. If the Wii U builds up a significant audience that buys traditional games made by third parties, PS4 and the next Xbox would be screwed launching in 2014. The problem is if enough people hold off and wait for one of those other consoles.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 13, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Either way I think it works in Nintendo's favor. If the competition doesn't show up until 2014 then the Wii U will have about two years without any competition, but if the competition shows up in 2013 then it will be so soon after the Wii U that the hardware couldn't possibly be much more powerful, while still giving the Wii U a year head start. So either way Nintendo will do well.

The only potential problem is if the 420 comes out EARLY in 2013 in like March or something, because then the Wii U's head start would only be a few months, and hardcore gamers would probably skip it in favor of that. But a 1st or 2nd quarter system launch has seldom ever worked well for anything, so who knows.

The PS4 may not appear until 2014, but we are already hearing so many rumors swirling about the 420 that it can't be that far off. So the Wii U will be 2012, the 420 will be 2013, and the PS4 will either be 2013 or 2014.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:14:59 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2469 on: March 13, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
I agree with Chozo Ghost.  2014 would be a gift from MS and Sony...even if there consoles are 10X more powerful than Nintendos.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm becoming more and more convinced we'll see the 720 in 2013.

Btw, would't it be great if the Wii U got a lollipop chainsaw port from grasshopper? Oh geez, if only...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 15, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
Btw, would't it be great if the Wii U got a lollipop chainsaw port from grasshopper? Oh geez, if only...
Yes. Yes, it would.

I'm holding off on buying it since it'll likely drop in price rather quickly. I would definitely buy it on Wii U if ported over, especially with Wii Motion Plus support. It'd be No More Heroes with a hot chick and zombies. Shut up and take my money!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 15, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
It'd be No More Heroes with a hot chick

No More Heroes had several hot chicks.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 15, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
It'd be No More Heroes with a hot chick

No More Heroes had several hot chicks.
Not as the main character though.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2474 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
I keep asking Grasshopper about it. Hopefully, they get the hint.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report