Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592797 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2350 on: February 19, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
5 Minutes of Ninja Gaiden 3 footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R5PVFk_nSE0

So Ninja Gaiden guys, is this more of the same or does anything look different and exciting?

Well, it certainly looks more stylish and fun than the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo I played a few years ago.  From what I've heard, the big change this time around is that the game is being made so mere mortals can actually finish it, something that's causing a lot of whining from the Ninja Gaiden fans.  To me, making the difficulty less than utterly sadistic can only be a good thing.

I like the idea of Team Ninja toning down the difficulty of the new Ninja Gaiden game because that was what always turned me away from that series was its ball busting difficulty. I like a challeneging game as much as anyone, but Ninja Gaiden games just takes the cake in that department. I played Other M and thought that what Team Ninja did with the bosses in that game  was great, but the overall strategy in beating those bosses was so asenine that I simply put the game away on just every other boss encounter. Lastly, Other M had the most anti-climatic final boss battle I have ever experienced, and I am not talking about Phatoon
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:15:20 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: February 19, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
Actually the only hard one was the Xbox Ninja Gaiden one, Black and Sigma versions had "Dog" mode added (EASY mode) and NG2 there was even regenerating health which made them all easy enough for casual to play.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: February 19, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Actually the only hard one was the Xbox Ninja Gaiden one, Black and Sigma versions had "Dog" mode added (EASY mode) and NG2 there was even regenerating health which made them all easy enough for casual to play.

If I remember right those games also insult the player for selecting "Dog mode" as your difficulty by putting a pink headband on the main character, as well as having one of the main characters repeatedly call the player a wuss.  That's certainly casual-friendly.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:25:49 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:38 AM »
Hmm..."Dog" mode... don't know if want...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: February 20, 2012, 04:53:09 AM »
Not sure why that would bother you?  It allowed people to finish the game who didn't want to waste hours learning enemies weaknesses.

And Black editions and Sigma Editions also had better checkpoints which means the average gamer could beat the game on normal.  With the orginal Xbox NG there were stages that you had to beat and defeat the boss without any checkpoint in between.  Black fixes that with a nice save point right before the boss allowing to fight and study his move set without having to replay the entire stage (recall having to play it 5 or so times which wasted about 3-4 hours).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:44 AM »
It might bother some players to feel disdain and humiliation from the developer that is supposed to bring them joy/excitement. In regard to Ninja Dog mode, I don't know much about it other than the pink ribbon and Ayane chastising the player. So maybe it isn't too big of a deal.

I don't know what to make of Ninja Gaiden 3 as it relates to Wii U. The Wii U version has the subtitle Razor's Edge and is reported that it will be different. How different remains to be seen. The safe thing to assume is that there won't be drastic or fundamental changes. I only hope Team Ninja doesn't think quick timing events with the touchscreen are a good idea.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: February 20, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
I tried playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on normal. Tears. Tears everywhere.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
I actually owned the DS Ninja Gaiden and I made it to the first boss. Once I fought the first boss of the game there was very little chance to beat him so I turned the game back into Gamestop for store credit. Although I would love to play Ninja Gaiden 3 for the Wii U as long as there is a more balnced difficulty.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Reggie revealing something @ Feb 22 on NintendoDirect
« Reply #2358 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
Reggie: Looking forward to sharing some news on Feb 22
Meet me Feb 22 6am PT/9am ET at nintendo.com/nintendo_direct

-Reggie

Well, Nintendo is obviously gonna share something Wii U related I hope if they sent out a message from Reggie himself.
And it came with another New Stationery!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:47:59 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »
I doubt it's Wii U related if its through Nintendo Direct. I'd loved to be surprised. But really, what could they possibly tell us without ruining their E3 show this year?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2360 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
Reggie could at least give us the new name of the console... maybe with a few minor, specific details. Preparation never hurt anything.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Sakurai begins Smash Bros!
« Reply #2361 on: February 21, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
According to his Twitter, Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS is firmly on his mind! Sakurai stated that he's started by looking at the smash Bros Dojo website and reflecting on the Wii game, "How did we make this?" he tweeted in a very humble manner.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16801

I bet things already started moving once Kid Icarus went gold. I'd enjoy some cross platform play.

NWR Admins, when you visit E3 and the inevitable Smash Bros/Sakurai interview begins, can someone please just place the idea of Ridley being playable in his head? Dude's at IGN asked him about a while ago, plus he was on his radar for that character poll with Brawl. But please please please!!!! All I ask is that you mention Ridley playable to Sakurai!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:24:41 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »
Nintendo taking notes from Microsoft about media distribution.

http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/nintendo-courting-media-partners-new-wii-138387?

"The Japanese gaming giant has begun preliminary conversations with several major media companies, exploring possible content distribution partnerships for the upcoming Wii U the sequel to Nintendo’s smash hit gaming console."

Also in the same article:

Michael Pachter doesn't believe Nintendo can pull this off and say's developers won't support the Wii U as a game console.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:55:44 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
My PS3 does everything and more then the 360 does in the media side of things with one big one up.  No Advertisement in the system itself.  When I saw that on my Sisters 360 my interest in owning one dropped like a stone.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
The PS3 is a fantastic media device; that's basically all I use it for these days. The only time I use my 360's media capabilities is for ESPN 3, which I'm pretty sure is only not on the PS3 because of a Microsoft moneyhat. Microsoft is pretty aggressive with the content deals, though, so Caterkiller's point stands.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: February 21, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
I'm really hoping Nintendo will have the Wii U be able to integrate into other things like Cable and Satellite allowing for Tivo functionality.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: February 21, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Michael Pachter doesn't believe Nintendo can pull this off and say's developers won't support the Wii U as a game console.

Well that's it, I guess Nintendo better throw in the towel and go third party because Pachter says they will fail. Everyone knows this guy is never wrong in his predictions, so Nintendo is most certainly DOOMED.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
But I thought that Wii U was the Wii HD that Pachter wanted all along!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
I will not be truelly convniced that Nintendo has all third party developers on board for the Wii U until I see developers that have traditionally avoided Nintendo home console such as Rockstar and Epic to name a few. Most of the third party developers already announced for the Wii U have worked with Nintendo consoles in the past, so until I see the bigger players dabbling with the Wii U then I will wait and see what happens. Do not get me wrong, I like the games already announced, but until Resident Evil 6, GTA 5 and Mass Effect 3 are revealed for the Wii U, then Nintendo still has ways to go before  turning over a new third paty leaf. We will have to wait and see what happens at this year's E3 to know for sure.

Back to Ninja Gaiden. The PS3 version Ninja Gaiden 3 will support the PS Move, which is a motion controller, so can the Wii U version be played with the Wiimote Plus or CC Pro?

Tecmo Koei's Ninja Gaiden 3 announcement for gamescom is that the game will fully support PlayStation Move. There are unfortunately no other details beyond that basic

http://www.destructoid.com/ninja-gaiden-3-supports-playstation-move-208995.phtml

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: February 22, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
You don't need a CC Pro when you have the tablet. I don't get how people are so oblivious to this. It's like with Smash Wii U not being able to use Gamecube controllers, every moron on the block claims "I can't use that tablet, maybe i'll just have to go with the CC Pro..." The tablet is the CC Pro and more! It's the same old controls from 2 generations ago just with a screen.  Talk about Smash Bros! God!

Edit:
My outburst was uncalled for...

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: February 22, 2012, 03:38:07 AM »
The tablet is the CC Pro and more! It's the same old controls from 2 generations ago just with a screen.

It also has tilt and tumble control, a camera, a microphone, and who knows what else.

I hope the microphone gets better use out of it than the DS did. I hated blowing into the DS as a form of input. Sadly, that's pretty much all I've ever seen the DS' microphone used for. If you could do voice commands, that would be awesome.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »
Voice recognition is cool but not really where it needs to be for any gameplay application. If Nintendo could pull it off, sure. However, Apple has spent hundreds of millions on Siri and it still has a ways to go. For simple commands such as navigating menus, current voice recognition technology should suffice.

Either way, Nintendo should put a really good microphone (and speakers for that matter) into the tablet. Maybe it could be used for voice chat.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 22, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Pachter is such a hater. I've never seen one projection of his say anything positive about Nintendo. No wonder he continues to be wrong.

Anyway, having Netflix and Hulu on the Wii U wouldn't be news. Having something like the DirectTV and iPad streaming/remote app though could be monumental for a gaming system.

But I don't think Nintendo should concerned themselves with such things. Instead, like BnM described a long time ago, they should focus on making a platform that developers can build apps for. Something like streaming TV to your remote would need an extra bit of hardware, but other than that its strictly software.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:56:30 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 22, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
The Dora games for DS have voice recognition.  Different parts you call for map or tell your puppy good boy

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
Pachter is such a hater. I've never seen one projection of his say anything positive about Nintendo. No wonder he continues to be wrong.

Hater is a strong word for a man whose work is to follow and predict the flow of money. I like him even when he makes some really goofy predictions. Gametrailers' Pach-Attack and Pachter's other appearances shed a little light on a part of video games that is sometimes depressing but often interesting.