Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592774 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2300 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:54 PM »
November has become a traditional month for system launches (GameCube, Wii, DS are the Nintendo systems that launched in North America then), so that is the most likely time. AC3, if it is a Wii U game, would not be a late port since it would only be like 2 weeks later.

I know November is the most likely time they will launch.  But I am hoping Nintendo is watching Apple and their own 3DS launch and thinking about launching at a different time.  I know Nintendo thinks the 3DS launch wasn't its best...but I think that is because the games for a good launch weren't there.  However, it did get the system out to iron out the wrinkles for a whole year before the Vita was launched which to me has put Nintendo in a big lead. 

Apple has also demonstrated that if your hardware is desired you don't have to release it during a holiday season.  The ipad3 is rumored to be launching in March or April.  This is nowhere near a spending holiday, but people will buy it in droves. 

To me a September launch or even an August launch gives first day buyers a chance to jump in and buy the launch games.  Gives Nintendo a chance to have 2 games a launch with another 3rd game as the November release. 

Also gives a launch window that ends at peak buying season instead of a launch window that ends at the worst buying season.   This would seem beneficial for 3rd party developers.  As gamers could buy a new system and one or two games.  Then come back for second helping in November when they have more money...and more games are available.

I also like the idea of Nintendo making a Wii U play like game that can be bundled with a second Wii U tablet in November which has 10-12 fun multiplayer games.  This would allow developers to assume that most house holds will have 2 Wii U tablets.

Yes, November is the likely launch of the Wii U...but my opinion it isn't the best.  Nintendo should launch sooner than later, because honestly, they need the time on the market before the competition hits. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
I agree Spak-Spang. I think a summer launch would be too much, but a September/October launch would have time to exhaust an early adopter rush, then build up word of mouth and virality, and resupply for a Holiday "relaunch".
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
I don't think screwing over millions of people like they did with the 3DS is a good launch strategy. They should release the Wii U when it is actually ready, and from what I've seen, I'm not even convinced it'll be good to go this November.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: February 15, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
what have you seen?

because from what I've heard, it's primed and ready to be unleashed before this holiday season.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: February 15, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Well, it isn't so much what I've seen as it is what I haven't seen: games.

It's possible the games are just being kept secret though, so hopefully there will be completed or nearly-completed games at E3.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: February 15, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
There will be lots of completed Wii U games at E3.

There are devs that want to talk but can't.
Everytime they open their mouth, they catch the glimmer of light reflecting off of a Nintenja sword in that poorly lit corner on the other side of the room.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
It'll be ready this fall, I have little doubt. Nintendo had floor demo HANDS-ON units last E3.. from third-parties no less! There's been an amazing amount of time since then, so I would be absolutely flabbergasted if after all that time they still don't have it ready.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2307 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:42 AM »
I'm sure Nintendo is keeping everything under wraps. They absolutely CAN'T have the Wii U launch like the 3DS. Meaning, that if they still launch this year, then titles have to be ready. I figure E3 will be a big "shock and awe" moment for Nintendo where they can show finished games that they know for a fact will be ready for day 1. Probably a lot of games we won't have seen until then.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »
Personally, I don't think the launch window means much. It's not how much you sell, but if you sell out. Remember the Wii and how it couldn't be found? That didn't hurt Nintendo as much as you think (despite eBay). It gave them instant cult status and the hottest item of the year for two years straight.

Having the early adopters push that image is a smart strategy because you can at least rely a bit on those sales.

What's actually the most important thing is what MIP said: games. Not just games that we find fascinating, but games that prove the concept of Wii U and hype the masses for future software. I think Nintendo knows why the Wii was so successful - cheap price, innovative product, fun game that proves the concept -- and they want to repeat it.

That is why Pikmin 3 was moved to Wii U. It is a known IP that could be the proof of concept Nintendo needs.  But unfortunately, that game will most likely not hype the masses unless it becomes radically more appealing.

My guess is EA will have the best chance at hyping the masses with one game -- Madden -- just for the simple fact that you can pick your plays privately and draw hot routes on the fly. Madden enthusiasts everywhere will pay it day one if EA makes it their Flagship title -- with better graphics and better controls than its competitors on other systems.

But that game will never excite the "casual moms". So what will? And I think that's Nintendo's most challenging product. It needs to be like Wii Sports but should it be a fresh envisioning or something fun but formulaic? Should it be packaged in or sold separately? Should it use both the Wiimote and TabuU or just the TabuU?

The launch date may be important, but those questions are critical. Nintendo will bring in great sales despite what they release and EA will help them more than you think, but to really set it ablaze they need to strike lightning twice.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that Nintendo's strongest selling point with "casuals" might not even be the games but the flexibility of the system. What I mean is Nintendo should push the streaming quality of the system and the ability to play without the TV hard; really really hard.

They then should launch with WiiFit. But a really really significant upgrade, with big endorsements from famous trainers, DLC updates and everyday incentives to keep tracking your progress. Give it a proper trademark like "Nintendo Life" and push it.

That could be their mega hit.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:56:08 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2309 on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
I like your idea of a Wii Fit game.  I think a Nintendo Life Wii balance board could be fun.  The game could be a downloadable game that has updates every week.  (Each update has a unique game experience and exercise challenges for that week. 

It should be designed to be played while watching TV with the Tablet or on the screen.  Lots of fun ideas could be had with this...and it could be part of the system day one.  Obviously, people would need to buy Wii Fit if they don't already have a board...but guess what, that gets people buying Wii Fit again. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »
I think it's important to make a good first impression and that means having a good launch lineup.  A big chunk of people are going to assume the Wii U will be a casual console like the Wii.  If Nintendo launches with something like the 3DS launch, it will just prove their detractors right.  And once people write your console off it takes a lot of effort to get them to pay attention again.  It is in Nintendo's best interest that everyone's first impression of the Wii U is positive.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
Wii U should have most of what's available on PS3/360 besides some notable titles like Tomb Raider which was already denied a Wii U version. As long as it gets Resident Evil 6 on or around launch, I'll be happy.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
HuluPlus Available Now
« Reply #2312 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
This is technically Wii related, but we all know the reasoning for this next piece of news.

HuluPlus is being beta tested on Wii starting today.

First time users who download and sign up within the first month get a Free 2 Week Trial.

Download in the WiiShop
Signup online: http://www.hulu.com/plus/wii

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
Feels weird seeing something like this come out so late in the Wii's life and with WiiU on the horizon. There hadn't been any channel updates or anything like that for a long time, so I think most of us just assumed that was it, but then this came out of the blue.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 16, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
Feels weird seeing something like this come out so late in the Wii's life and with WiiU on the horizon. There hadn't been any channel updates or anything like that for a long time, so I think most of us just assumed that was it, but then this came out of the blue.

HuluPlus is being beta tested on Wii starting today.

The title says it all if you connect it with being in the Wii U thread.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »
I know. That's probably the only reason its coming to the Wii.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2316 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »
Semi-funny saying it's beta testing for anything.

Anyways, I am not surprised. They announced it last year, and it's win-win for Hulu and Nintendo.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »
Metroid: Other M makes it to a global sales of one million units.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35086/metroid-other-m/

Total Units
North America:
0.67m
64.2%[/q][/t][/t]
+ Europe:
0.16m
15.4%[/t]
+ Japan:
0.13m
12.6%[/t]
+ Rest of the World:
0.08m
7.8%[/t]
= Global [/t] 1.05m 

If that game sold the most in north America then those Operation Rainfall games can as well considering that some people might say that Pandora's Tower is a better game than Other M.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2318 on: February 17, 2012, 02:19:13 AM »
VG Chartz

'nuff said,
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: February 17, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »
Good or bad?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: February 17, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
VGChartz is notoriously unreliable. They don't have access to real numbers; they just guess, educated as it may be. It is Nintendo World Report policy not to put any stock in what VGChartz says.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
Other M has been discounted for as low as $4.99 new.

I'd be disappointed in any "major" title that was discounted that cheap and didn't hit a million in sales.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Oh yeah? Well, it is ShyGuy policy not to put any stock in what Insanolord says. SICK BURN

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »
I don't doubt Metroid: Other M could have sold over a million copies. Even though its a crappy game, what it has going for it is the Metroid brand attached to it, and also the fact its selling for dirt cheap as others have pointed out doesn't hurt either. I preordered it and paid full price for it, just because it was Metroid and I am a huge Metroid fan... but if I knew what it was then I wouldn't have bought it at all... or at least not at full price.

So Pandora's Tower is a better game than M:OM? That doesn't really say much, considering how bad that game was. But whether its better or not, it would struggle to sell as many copies because it isn't a huge brand name that people would just blindly buy en masse.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:45:47 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: February 17, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
 :evil; Shyguy...

$5 for a Metroid game would be a steal! I'd give it a whirl if I could get it that cheap.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.