Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592725 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2275 on: February 13, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
This thread is like this:

blah blah
blah blah argue
B N M news story
back to blah blah
blah blah
argue argue

That GDC stuff is really cool. The floor plan seems to be more than a coincidence. I am starving for official news from Nintendo.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Anyone here ever seen the old Warner Bros. cartoons like Bugs Bunny and so on? That's how a Mario movie could be. The old WB cartoons didn't have any story to them. It was just entertaining comic mischief at its finest. You say it can't be done, but how come it was done with those cartoons and it worked?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 13, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
Anyone here ever seen the old Warner Bros. cartoons like Bugs Bunny and so on? That's how a Mario movie could be. The old WB cartoons didn't have any story to them. It was just entertaining comic mischief at its finest. You say it can't be done, but how come it was done with those cartoons and it worked?

Those old Warner Bros. cartoons were 7 minutes long, whereas an animated movie is upwards of 60-90 minutes.  You can do a string of sight gags and random comedy for 7 minutes, but that just doesn't work when you stretch it out to the entire running length of a film.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Pikmin 3!
« Reply #2278 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »

Miyamoto is really happy working on Pikmin 3!

“Originally, I was making Pikmin 3 to be launched on the Wii platform. Because the Wii U is capable of HD quality pictures, and will be accompanied by the subscreen on your hand. I thought that I would be able to make a Pikmin that was closer to my ideal. I am now actually enjoying myself, working on the game.”

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/35369/newspikmin-3-wii-u-will-be-miyamotos-ideal-pikmin-game/

No one truly likes game development do they? It's like real work until the actual game is done. This can only mean good things!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Headline: Miyamoto Hates Job. Pikmin Fans Suffer.

Seriously enough that should settle it for a Launch game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:28:56 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Interesting to hear Miyamoto being excited about HD graphics.  I thought those didn't matter?  How funny would it be if Nintendo's devs were inspired by having superior hardware?  If after all this talk about motion control being the bee's knees and how HD doesn't matter that THAT, not motion control, inspires them to make their best games in years?

What dev could honestly find it exciting to work on something like Wii Music?  How could that be a satisfying outlet for one's creativity?  The whole style of the Wii Series is anti-creativity.  No characters, no art design, no story, no setting.  It is literally generic avatars doing real-world activities.  A game designer wants to create new worlds.  That is what inspires him.  It is the difference between writing a novel and writing a manual.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2281 on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
I think HD really helps a franchise like Pikmin more so that it would the Mario series. Mostly everything Nintendo makes has game play as it's core focus, so other things like story and graphics aren't as important. But with Pikmin, the environment is a huge focus. Making it larger and more realistic would add greatly to the experience as a whole. Unlike with say, Mario Kart.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
Pikmin is the series from Nintendo where they are trying to be Photo-Realistic.  That is not try about any other series in the Portfolio.  I fully expect to be looking at something in Pikmin 3 and going "I don't think this could look realer in Real Life besides these little plant people running around."
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2283 on: February 13, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Let's be clear he didn't say JUST HD graphics made it closer to what he envisioned. 

He said HD graphics, and the two screens, bringing the game closer to what he wants.

He is still being inspired not just by HD graphics, but by HD capacity and the new ideas that are available because of the new controller.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
This is more or less an admission by Miyamoto that the Wii really was underpowered and unable to really satisfy his vision for a Pikmin 3 game. Of course he can't really say that directly, but I think indirectly that's what is being implied here.

If Iwata and Reggie deep down feel the same way then that's great. It means there is hope for the company after all if they acknowledge the Wii really was a shitty system. The first step towards overcoming something is to first admit there is a problem.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:36:30 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 13, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »
I like that he said he was happy about developing because I remember years ago when he mentioned what a tough process game development is. It's real hard work. Designing an environment, character or story are certainly very fun. But the real work is work! Just like any tv show or movie it seems like only the actors and writers have any real fun.

For Miyamoto to say this gives me lots of hope for future Nintendo titles.

And Ian something like Wii Sports can be fun to develop.

When I develop my martial art routines to compete with, there is nothing more fun than coming up with awesome choreography, you can get so creative and just have fun. But before that it's better to build a set of less intensive basics to work through over and over again. Very little style, just the true meat and potatoes of the routine. But to have these tiny routines that don't tell an entire story(a full form) can be just as great to have.

That's how I feel about Wii Sports table tennis to something like Mario Tennis. I love both and imagine working on either was an absolute joy.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 13, 2012, 06:45:28 PM »
This is more or less an admission by Miyamoto that the Wii really was underpowered and unable to really satisfy his vision for a Pikmin 3 game.

Nintendo has always said that a major reason they release a new console is because their devs are starting to come up with new ideas that can't be done on existing hardware. That was the very reason the Wii exists: it let them do things the GC couldn't. Same with 3DS over DS. Same with Wii U.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 13, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
There's a little more to it than that, Kairon. The uDraw tablet from THQ proves the tablet concept could be done on the existing Wii hardware. The problem is, that Wii hardware is horribly outdated. Devs didn't just want to do new things, they also wanted more powerful hardware too.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2288 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Isn't the uDraw tablet just a glorified graphics tablet (or whatever they're called)? It doesn't display images does it? If not, then that's gonna a reason new hardware is needed, not just graphics. Though, it's like a 50/50 split.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
Yeah, the Udraw is a glorified WaCom tablet. It's obviously true Nintendo devs wanted stronger hardware than the Wii had for this tablet idea: the hardware has to be able to support TWO screens instead of one. Pretty sure the Wii couldn't do that with any sort of satisfaction.

All I'm saying is that more powerful hardware is great, but Nintendo wants more for their console than just that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
AssCreed3 Wii U confirmed?
« Reply #2290 on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Ghost Recon Online & Assassins Creed 3 both confirmed for Wii U in 2012?
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5008/article/ubisoft-announces-2012-lineup-includes-assassin-s-creed-3/

and FarCry3 not for Wii U?

waiting on a more official source, but there looks to be another Just Dance side sequel and some Prince of Persia games for Wii & 3DS mentioned too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:10:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
I saw that bnm, but is there any other source reporting that or is everyone just taking that website's word as legit?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
Hasn't there been like 5 Assassin's Creed games so far?
is your sanity...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »
Hasn't there been like 5 Assassin's Creed games so far?

I, II, Brotherhood, and Revelations. I'm not counting the handheld iterations.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2294 on: February 13, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
Ghost Recon Online & Assassins Creed 3 both confirmed for Wii U
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5008/article/ubisoft-announces-2012-lineup-includes-assassin-s-creed-3/

Ghost Recon was confirmed at E3 last year, with Ubisoft having a demo on a Wii U controller. I think they even announced the price.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:59:32 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: February 13, 2012, 11:08:41 PM »
I saw that bnm, but is there any other source reporting that or is everyone just taking that website's word as legit?

I suppose i should have used a "?" since no other credible source has backed it up.
other sites are reporting it, but they all cite gamranx as the source, so consider this rumor still.

AC3, Just Dance & Prince of Persia (??) should all be taken as unconfirmed rumor at this point.
I'll edit the previous post.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
Assasins Creed 3 out October 30th. Does it mean Wii U out around then or before or we just get a late port? Who knows?!

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/02/15/assassins-creed-3-dated-for-october-30th/

I'd love an October release date. But i'm still betting not after Thanks Giving.

Edit:
Am I ultra late again?!

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2297 on: February 15, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »
The other answer is that Assassin's Creed 3 is coming out in the launch window, which could mean an earlier launch like in September....which I am still betting on late summer early fall.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #2298 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
Oh, yeah.. completely, Spak. I'm counting on a late August to late September release for this next console. It only makes sense. Let the "core" crowd of gamers and Nintendo loyalists get the console first, then come holiday shopping spree frenzy time, let the casuals (if they bite, that is) go nuts.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2299 on: February 15, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
November has become a traditional month for system launches (GameCube, Wii, DS are the Nintendo systems that launched in North America then), so that is the most likely time. AC3, if it is a Wii U game, would not be a late port since it would only be like 2 weeks later.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20