Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592781 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2200 on: February 02, 2012, 01:53:42 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong here,
OK
Lulz. +1

Nintendo doesn't typically buy out companies because, in addition to cost, everyone who made those companies great could conceivably quit making the acquisition pointless besides some IPs which are immediately less valuable unless they can find more talent to handle the IPs correctly.

Anyway, I would rather have an internal HDD or even better an internal SSD. I'd also like the option of paying for the ability to play Blu Ray movies but that's probably not happening either...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: February 02, 2012, 02:06:05 AM »
Yeah... call me crazy but I don't think Nintendo's gonna change their plans and throw in an internal HDD. My guess is 4-8 GB internal SSD, which you supplement via the options already announced: SD card or external USB HDD.

The idea behind the second SKU is to create a package that has a higher profit margin, thus enabling Nintendo to stomache putting stronger hardware guts in there to begin with because they make up the cost by selling bundles that profit from the accessory sale as well as the base hardware.

I'm not saying I like the idea of $100 Nintendo branded 60GB hard drives, but I wonder if that sort of consumer deceit and consumer confusion is worth the potentially stronger base hardware out of the gate... or if it's pointless because the PS4 and XBox720 will outgun the Wii U by leaps and bounds no matter what we put in just by benefit of the extra time in development.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:12:30 AM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: February 02, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
I would be satisfied with just a hard drive bay so I could just buy any hard drive of my choosing for much cheaper than a Nintendo branded one and I wouldn't have to sacrifice a whole USB port and power outlet for an external one. Nintendo could conceivably never offer a SKU that included a hard drive and leave it up to consumers. It could be seen as passing the cost onto consumers but this option is significantly cheaper when you consider how much Sony and Microsoft are charging for hard drives, separately or a different SKU. A 320GB HDD from Microsoft for the Xbox 360 is currently going for $130. Ew...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: February 02, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »
But that's the whole point Adrock. What MS does with HDD, Sony does with Vita Memory Cards. They have to force a higher profit margin on some necessary peripheral elsewhere in order to subsidize the expensive hardware they're selling at a loss inside the box. My question is whether that's a working strategy (360 says yes, Vita says no), and whether it's one you'd be willing to see Nintendo pursue?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:54 AM »
I know why companies do that and clearly, I don't think Nintendo should pursue that because I like saving money. I suppose if it allowed Nintendo to include more powerful hardware, it might be worth it but I'd still like the option of having no HDD and just an empty bay. You get that with the Xbox360 Slim Arcade Edition.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: February 02, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »
There should not exist official Nintendo branded HDDs. It reminds me of going into walmart and seeing "official" white colored Wii SD cards sold for like 3 times more than what any SD card of that capacity should ever cost. These "official" wii SD cards were placed amidst the Wii accessories, and I have no doubt there were tons of suckers who fell for it.

That's exactly what would happen with "official" WiiU HDDs as well, so I hope it doesn't happen.
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »
SSD would be way too expensive for something they really need, raw storage. The speed would be nice bonus, but a single game could easily fill up any SSD that isn't going to cost more than the system itself. What is more likely to happen is they want improved access speeds for an installed game would be a hybrid drive.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: February 02, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
i already have an external hdd so I cant see it splitting the market. If it does split the market, its in thirds. 1/3 already has one, 1/3 buys one, 1/3 can't be arsed, but its more likely an 75-80% adoption rate.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2208 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
It is an interesting question.  Personally, I see Nintendo keeping with the SD Card route...and personally, I like that method best. 

Yes, SD cards aren't as fast or as cheap as a hard drive, but they do offer some benefits. 

I like the idea of being able to switch out SD cards for certain games and such.  Say if I had Rock Band I could have and entire SD card devoted to my rock band saves and music files...then whenever I played rock band or took it to my friends house I just bring my one SD card. 

Another SD card could be solely used for in game saves. 
Another for arcade game downloads and such.
Another for Apps that are compatible with the Wiitab on the go.  (If it has an SD card out.)

The point is, SD cards open up options I like, and I hope Nintendo continues going that direction.  Though I hope if they do, Nintendo allows us to decide where games save.  Default being the internal memory, but an option to save direction to the SD card...and play off the SD card.

As for internal memory.  I think Nintendo should go the iPad route.  It only needs about 32-64 GB SSD memory...and then the SD card support, and that is something Nintendo should be able to put in at its desired price point.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: February 02, 2012, 06:16:38 PM »
"Vita says no"

Actually the 32GB card is in more demand then the 4GB ones in Japan.  Downloading games are cheaper (say on avg $10 savings) so you'll get 15-16 games on a 32GC card so you'll save $150 or so buying the digital version.  Of course you can't sell the digital games but I guess you can trade in the entire system.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:18:16 PM by Ymeegod »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
The Grinder Wii U? (High Voltage is working on Wii U)
« Reply #2210 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
Look slike High Voltage is on the Wii U train (no surprise there)
http://www.livewii.fr/news/163949-High_Voltage_d%C3%A9veloppe_un_jeu_Wii_U

Hopefully, it's bringing over The Grinder like I asked for oh so long ago.

http://www.high-voltage.com/

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:06 PM »
hey maybe Nintendo is giving them a fat check to make something amazing.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: February 03, 2012, 07:06:18 AM »
It is an interesting question.  Personally, I see Nintendo keeping with the SD Card route...and personally, I like that method best. 

Yes, SD cards aren't as fast or as cheap as a hard drive, but they do offer some benefits. 

I like the idea of being able to switch out SD cards for certain games and such.  Say if I had Rock Band I could have and entire SD card devoted to my rock band saves and music files...then whenever I played rock band or took it to my friends house I just bring my one SD card. 

Another SD card could be solely used for in game saves. 
Another for arcade game downloads and such.
Another for Apps that are compatible with the Wiitab on the go.  (If it has an SD card out.)

The point is, SD cards open up options I like, and I hope Nintendo continues going that direction.  Though I hope if they do, Nintendo allows us to decide where games save.  Default being the internal memory, but an option to save direction to the SD card...and play off the SD card.

As for internal memory.  I think Nintendo should go the iPad route.  It only needs about 32-64 GB SSD memory...and then the SD card support, and that is something Nintendo should be able to put in at its desired price point.

I feel the same way about flash drives. I hope that Nintendo lets us use those as external storage device because the price for high capacity flash drives is falling pretty steadily. Being able to play directly from said flash drive is also a must as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
I'm personally hoping for a snap in shell you can put the Wii U in to.

This shell would have a high speed connection to the Wii U and all for you to put in a regular hard drive into it.  It would also have a 10/100/1000 Network Jack in it for us who prefer network cables.  Possible a more diverse Card reader.  Enhances the Cooling capability of the system through the addition of temperature controlled fans.  Those are my realistic wants in a shell. 

In my unrealistic category is:
A clock that syncs to the Atomic Clock Signal.
A built in Battery used to condition the power to the system and for clean shutdowns when the power goes off.
Funny little graphs that show system statistics.
DS Game Adaptor <.< >,>
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: February 03, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

This shell would have a high speed connection to the Wii U and all for you to put in a regular hard drive into it...

But will it have a second circle pad?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: February 03, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »

This shell would have a high speed connection to the Wii U and all for you to put in a regular hard drive into it...

But will it have a second circle pad?
No, that would go beyond Dock level to Sega CD type Add-on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: February 03, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
You can use an USB2.0 external harddrive (doesn't have to be state of the art any 5400rpm drive would do) and that'll beat any type of SD card on the market and it's cheaper too.  You can get 500GB 5400rpm usb drives for $60 where you would only get 16GB high speed SD cart for that price.

Me, I have a few 4GB cards laying around that I plan on using and I'll just transfer my external 320GB usb drive that's already on the WII to the WII U. 

USB>SD

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:19 PM »
Darksiders II might have Exclusive Wii U content
http://nintendoeverything.com/82214/will-darksiders-ii-wii-u-have-exclusive-content/

I would hope that it does since it will likely be out atleast 1 month later than other version.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
Looks like Two Tribes is set on bringing Toki Tori 2 to Wii U
http://twotribes.com/message/toki-tori-2-update-18
People who’ve followed us in recent years know we’re pretty big fans of Nintendo. We’ve made games for Game Boy, DS and Wii that were released both in shops and on digital services. The first Toki Tori was a launch game for the original WiiWare download service in 2008 and today we’ve decided that we are going to do everything in our power to make sure Toki Tori 2 graces Nintendo’s upcoming HD console as well!

They go on to say that they decided to make this happen because Nintendo's Online Plans seemed enticing (& online is important when you are planning a Downloadable Game). Then they go on to say that they plan on making the game not only playable on just the controller, but speculated that they could incorporate a level editor that manipulates whats being played on the TV by another player in real time.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »
EA to (probably) bring Tiger Woods 2013 to Wii U
and incase you haven't guessed it yet, all of this "we would like to bring this to" and "you might see this on" toward a Wii U version is just a not so sneaky way of getting around NDA'd game announcements.
http://wiiublog.com/blog/2012/2/10/tiger-woods-13-will-probably-hit-the-wii-u.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Tiger Woods 13 for the Wii has been cancelled, but Electronic Arts has told Kotaku that "there could be a Wii U version". I'd consider this a guarantee though. There's no reason Electronic Arts wouldn't bring the game to the platform.

I look forward to this idea coming true.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
UE4 on Wii U!?
« Reply #2220 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »
Mark Rein: Unveiling Unreal Engine 4 This Year
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/720663/unreal-engine-4-to-be-revealed-in-2012-according-to-epics-mark-rein/
According to Epic Games vice president Mark Rein, The Unreal Engine 4 will be revealed in 2012. We were speaking with Mark about Epic founder Tim Sweeney's contribution to the gaming world, the Unreal Engine, when Rein mentioned we could expect to see more Unreal 4 this year.

"People are going to be shocked later this year when they see Unreal Engine 4 and how much more profound an effect it will have," Rein said.

Hardware aligned with Wii U or maybe those rumors of NeXbox and/or PS4 coming this year are true after all!?

edit: Update

Mark Rein: Unreal Engine 4 for "systems we can’t name yet."
notice that that is plural. Pay attention to those PS4 & Xbox720 rumors. we just might see 1 or both at E3 this year.
The DICE summit is currently taking place as awards are being handed out and moments ago Mark Rein took the stage. While talking about Unreal Engine 4 he said that the graphics engine was running on “systems I can’t talk about by name.” This would obviously point to the next generation of consoles being pretty far into development. Let the rumors continue to come out of the woodworks!

UPDATE: The quote was technically “Including systems we can’t name yet.”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:58:45 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2221 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:24 AM »
This catch-all thread is getting absurd. Make new topics for specific topics.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 10, 2012, 06:53:58 AM »
This catch-all thread is getting absurd. Make new topics for specific topics.
I personally don't think most of this is thread worthy on its own, but feel free to split stuff that you think is into it's own thread (task Insanolord with the duty :P).

It's mostly just dev comments and thinly veiled game announcements/acknowledgments at this point. Any real solid news usually get's it's own thread.

which bring me to an update on the UE4 news (see above)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »
Hey, I'm with you. I'd much rather see all these minor things in one place than have a thousand different threads with one or two replies tops.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
I agree with Megabyte. This can't go on forever with everything being in one single thread. Its like trying to grow a tree inside a flower pot, sure it works at first, but eventually tree gets too big and either needs to be moved to a bigger pot or planted in the ground, or else it will die.

The problem with it all being in a single thread is stuff gets flooded and buried under all the new stuff and before anyone has time to respond to something or even read it there are two more pages of stuff posted. If each significant rumor had its own thread then it could be reviewed and discussed more thoroughly. Its not like there is a lot of Wii stuff being discussed anymore, so there is no need to hold back and confine WiiU info. Just let it spread its roots and take over.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:09:19 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...