Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592766 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #2175 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
That's why I said there's only neutral or negative. Anything close to a positive comment is ether made neutral or supplemented with a backhanded compliment. I don't buy that "we're not competing" crap at all. If that was true, why do Kinect and Move exist?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
ex-Crytek on Wii U
« Reply #2176 on: January 31, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Looks like Nintendo has hired the ex-Director of Technology from Crytek to do some Software Engineering for what I can only assume is the Wii U
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markatkinson99

I expect to be impressed Nintendo. Do Not disappoint.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
Should Nintendo buy more western developers or talent to help boost first party software? I ask because it seems that Nintendo's Japanese first party titles are always tied up with developing the latest Zelda or Mario, so a combination of first and third party software would help boost sales and help close the launch gaps that plauge Nintendo games. Who should they buy? Honestly, I think that Nintendo should offer to buy Volition from THQ.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
Should Nintendo buy more western developers or talent to help boost first party software? I ask because it seems that Nintendo's Japanese first party titles are always tied up with developing the latest Zelda or Mario, so a combination of first and third party software would help boost sales and help close the launch gaps that plauge Nintendo games. Who should they buy? Honestly, I think that Nintendo should offer to buy Volition from THQ.

Volition's not worth saving, but Nintendo (and Japan in general) has needed to expand out into Western Studios for some time now.  The age where the industry was dominated by Japanese tastes and sensibilities is over, and the major players will need more studios like Retro; Insomniac; Bungie; etc. to compete in this new market.  Nintendo may have even realized this if the rumors are true and Retro's looking at Zelda next.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:22:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: January 31, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »

Volition's not worth saving, but Nintendo (and Japan in general) has needed to expand out into Western Studios for some time now.  The age where the industry was dominated by Japanese tastes and sensibilities is over, and the major players will need more studios like Retro; Insomniac; Bungie; etc. to compete in this new market.  Nintendo may have even realized this if the rumors are true and Retro's looking at Zelda next.

What I was getting at was Nintendo should aquire more western talent to supplement Retro. Let Retro Studios lead the charge in western development and let them have two or three first party western developers to back them up.  Who should they buy?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: January 31, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »

Hey, a lot of people seem to really love Saint's Row The Third. It would be a shame for Volition to go away for some poor Red Faction games and whatever else.

As for Nintendo and western game studios, hasn't there been a generally fruitful history of Nintendo collaborating or contracting western developers (even outside of Rare and Retro)? I don't know if Nintendo needs to own studios in the Americas and Europe outright, but I hope they increase the amount of collaborations.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
Totally random, but just imagine if Nintendo went back to their old ways of game certification for the Wii U. Hello Bethesda LOL.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: February 01, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »
Ceric  Your post really makes me wish Nintendo would have partnered with Apple with this venture.  The problem with many of your ideas is that they need a portable device or laptop/desktop computer to take the functions further from just hey cool little diversion app to something useful.

For example, a TV calendar app is fantastic, because everyone sits in front of the tv...and if the wii U is always on, it could be easy to quickly check what you and your family are doing.  But, it would be more useful if it synced up with your calender on your phone and computer so you input your schedule once and it is set. 

It isn't just about the app existing anymore it is about the convience of the app...which is why Nintendo online play wasn't as successful...the friend codes weren't convient. 

Another example...video chat.  It is not enough for Nintendo to just use its own video protocols.  It is important for it to be compatiable with other video chat programs.  If Nintendo had video chat skype on the Wii U day one that would be a huge deal...if not Skype then Apple's Face Time protocol.  If I have to choose between another video chat program that my friends and family aren't using it is not worth the inconvience for me.

TV integration...the most convient way to do this is not web based TV...but to have the actual television first run through the Wii U...so you choose a TV channel on the Wii U and it starts your regular cable service...though I am not sure that is possible...it would allow for some very cool things...like playing a game on the Wii U tablet while watching TV...using the Wii U tablet as a TV remote...or quickly checking your calendar app and such while still watching TV.

This type of sophisticated integration is something Nintendo desperately needs for the Wii U, but is something they are not very familar with...so I am worried about them getting it "right."
Re-read my post.

The Calendar was vy ics or other internet calendar standards exactly like you use to keep you phone in sync with you Google Calendar.

TV Situation used HDMI to control the set top box or TV to the right channels.  You can display what you need on the uMote.

Video Chat I just put there because there really isn't a defined open standard that everyone is using.  Skype is probably out due to MS owning them.  Facetime yeah you be funny.  Cisco's tech, maybe but from my experience I wouldn't touch a Cisco product with a ten foot pole today unless it was a Voip phone system.

I don't think anyone really gets the UI for this stuff yet really.  Take Metro for example.  Metro is a wonderful Look and Feel for a phone.  Not for a game console.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: February 01, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
God, I overheard someone say trauma center in a completely unrelated conversation and I immediately realized that I'd get a Wii U Trauma Center day 1.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: February 01, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
God, I overheard someone say trauma center in a completely unrelated conversation and I immediately realized that I'd get a Wii U Trauma Center day 1.
In a way I be surprised if there wasn't a Wii U Trauma Center Day 1.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: February 01, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
Companies don't choose who they compete with, the market does.

Anyway, I like the idea of Nintendo grabbing some goof Western devs.  The West runs the game industry these days.  This gen the big titles were almost all Western where as in the past Japan dominated.  Japan has REALLY dropped the ball regarding console games with Nintendo themselves being one of the rare exceptions.  Companies like Square Enix, Capcom and Konami are mere shells compared to what they were like even last gen.  The market has changed.

But it is important that Nintendo grabs GOOD devs, not the Olsen Twins games guys like they did before.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2186 on: February 01, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
Anyway, I like the idea of Nintendo grabbing some goof Western devs.

Nintendo's buying Bethesda?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: February 01, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
Companies don't choose who they compete with, the market does.

Anyway, I like the idea of Nintendo grabbing some goof Western devs.  The West runs the game industry these days.  This gen the big titles were almost all Western where as in the past Japan dominated.  Japan has REALLY dropped the ball regarding console games with Nintendo themselves being one of the rare exceptions.  Companies like Square Enix, Capcom and Konami are mere shells compared to what they were like even last gen.  The market has changed.

But it is important that Nintendo grabs GOOD devs, not the Olsen Twins games guys like they did before.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but if Nintendo had aquired more western third party developers and they developed games that sold very well then the financial turmoil that Nintendo is currently facing would be lessened? Now if they co-developed with western developers then they would still have profit, but not nealry as much as if it was exclusively their internal developers because the profits would have to be split and Nnitendo could not horde the cash for themselves.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: February 01, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
Realistically what Nintendo will do is start making more collaborations with big Western developers like they've done with Japanese devs in the past.  Instead just using smaller studio's in the West like Monster and Next Level Games, they'll start teaming up with the big guns like Epic and Valve similar to how they would team up with Capcom, Namco, SquareEnix and Tecmo in Japan.

Basically after teaming up with a wide variety of major Japanese studio's, I see Nintendo now starting to team up with a wide variety of Western studio's.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:30:12 PM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong here, but if Nintendo had aquired more western third party developers and they developed games that sold very well then the financial turmoil that Nintendo is currently facing would be lessened? Now if they co-developed with western developers then they would still have profit, but not nealry as much as if it was exclusively their internal developers because the profits would have to be split and Nnitendo could not horde the cash for themselves.
Ignoring the various issues of just acquiring developers, it would really depend on when Nintendo cuts off development for their current hardware. All teams have to make the transition. It's possible that Nintendo could have managed the timing of game development so that there would be no drought at the end of the Wii's hardware cycle but it's just as likely that Nintendo would have moved those teams to Wii U projects sooner rather than later, still resulting in a drought but a stronger lineup for Wii U.
Instead just using smaller studio's in the West like Monster and Next Level Games, they'll start teaming up with the big guns like Epic and Valve similar to how they would team up with Capcom, Namco, SquareEnix and Tecmo in Japan.
That'll be the day... Don't get me wrong, I see Nintendo working with Western developers more moving forward, but probably not with Epic or Valve. Well, if Valve is involved with Nintendo Network somehow, then that's a possibility. Epic seems far more unlikely.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: February 01, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
How much support did Nintendo give the DS in the year before the 3DS? I remember some time ago feeling like Nintendo was actually announcing more 3DS projects than Wii projects.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:54:48 PM by Kairon »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2191 on: February 01, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »
How much support did Nintendo give the DS in the year before the 3DS? I remember some time ago feeling like Nintendo was actually announcing more 3DS projects than Wii projects.

More support than the Wii will likely get. In North America, They released: Kirby Mass Attack, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, Fossil Fighters: Champions and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 AFTER 3DS launched. In the year before 3DS launched, they published in North America: Pokémon Ranger: Tracks of Light, America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking, Rooms: The Main Building, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Pokémon BlackPokémon White, Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem!, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 01, 2012, 10:07:37 PM »
Makes you wonder if we will get Last Story and Pandora's Tower just to fill the release gap and make some money before the Wii U launch?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »
Makes you wonder if we will get Last Story and Pandora's Tower just to fill the release gap and make some money before the Wii U launch?

If Xenoblade actually sells well then we will get The Last Story because the rumors said Gamestop is interested in that game as well.  Pandora's Tower though is the least likely one since even among Operation Rainfall members, that game is the one people are least interested.  Considering the rumor doesn't even mention Gamestop wanting that game, I wouldn't get my hopes up, even if Xenoblade and The Last Story both sell well in America.

Plus it doesn't help that people who have actually played aren't exactly praising the game either.  All impressions I've read about the game pretty much range from poor to decent.  Not exactly a game that people will be demanding to come over like Xenoblade which is considered one of the best RPG's ever made and The Last Story which is directed by the creator of Final Fantasy, resulting in FF fans wanting to try it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2194 on: February 02, 2012, 01:04:57 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong here,

OK

but if Nintendo had aquired more western third party developers and they developed games that sold very well then the financial turmoil that Nintendo is currently facing would be lessened?

Turmoil is a strong word. Yes, they're experiencing significant losses, but they're racking up a lot of R&D and foreign exchange expense. Also, buying a company is fairly expensive. That kind of capital investment may not be the best move, but Nintendo has been known to stock pile cash (almost have of their total assets).

Now if they co-developed with western developers then they would still have profit, but not nearly as much as if it was exclusively their internal developers because the profits would have to be split and Nintendo could not horde the cash for themselves.

Again, buying a developer would cost money, and Nintendo would have to make the money back. Partnering with a 3rd party means splitting the costs AND splitting the profits, effectively hedging the business risks associated with developing a game.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
What does everyone here make of the idea of two SKUs? One with the straight up console, and a high-priced one with an officially-branded external HDD? Basically do what MS did with the 360 in an effort to claim a lower console sticker price but have most people buy the higher-priced SKU? I presume this strategy might let Nintendo not cut as many corners in terms of hardware.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2196 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »
I think that strategy backfired for Microsoft because it was a long time before developers could do stuff that required the HDD since they didn't want to lose potential sales from those with no HDD.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:06 AM »
Well, the Wii U isn't likely to have a built-in HDD standard, so I don't think it'd be splitting the user base.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:15:47 AM by Kairon »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2198 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »
I think we would see it as a bundle, maybe have it include a game, WM+ and extra nunchuck or something.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: February 02, 2012, 01:38:03 AM »
What does everyone here make of the idea of two SKUs? One with the straight up console, and a high-priced one with an officially-branded external HDD?

Make it an internal HDD and I'll buy it.
is your sanity...