Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592725 times)

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1775 on: November 23, 2011, 02:11:26 AM »
F-Zero needs to be handled by a Japanese developer, there's just something very Japanese about that series. I would love for Amusement Vision to take care of it again, but I don't think they exist anymore. Next Level Games certainly doesn't have the chops to top GX and as much as I like Excite Truck (sadly I never had the chnace to play Excite Bots) I don't think Monster Games could out-do GX either.

Also why Retro to take StarFox? I'd rather they work on a new IP.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:40 AM »
The problem is that while all of those could be great, there's nothing there with the mainstream appeal to be a real system seller, as I think Wii Sports is played out, and not a good place to go with a new system. I'd absolutely love that lineup, and I'd wager a lot of other people here would as well, but you need something bigger to move the hardware to a wider audience beyond just us Nintendo fans.

All of Nintendo's A-list titles are in development for atleast another year, so I chose Nintendo IPs that have not graced a home console in a long time and ones that could benefit from the power of the Wii U.

I just have a strong that Retro Studios is working on the next console Starfox. Here is why:

Graphics of the Metroid Prime series + The cartooish atmospehre of DKCR = Starfox Wii U
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: November 23, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »
Or maybe Retro are working on a new IP. Has Star Fox 3DS sold enough copies to justify a continuation of the series? Nintendogs+ Cats has probably sold more copies than Star Fox. I agree with Insanolord, Nintendo need to release a title with mainstream appeal. Hopefully that title isn't NSMBMii.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1778 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:12 AM »
That's a pretty weird question coming from someone with a Slippy avatar.

I think the demand for a new Star Fox is there. N64 3D-makes are great and all, but the appeal is definitely limited, especially from a dormant series.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 23, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
Don't get me wrong Star Fox is my favourite Nintendo franchise (I own and completed all the games bar the first one) and I would love to see a new original title. However the last two games (Assault and Command) weren't that great and sold poorly. If the remake sells well it is more likely that Nintendo will make another Star Fox

Star Fox lately has probably been one of Nintendo's worst selling major IPs.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 23, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
I don't see an Starfox game coming anytime soon, at least not one that's going be internally develope anyhow.  The sales for space shooters is basically cult-status meaning you'll be lucky to break 1/4 million.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: November 23, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
I just have a strong that Retro Studios is working on the next console Starfox. Here is why:

Graphics of the Metroid Prime series + The cartooish atmospehre of DKCR = Starfox Wii U
I'm pretty sure since you're you that you're just saying what you want instead of what makes sense. How would either of those things suggest what Retro studio's next project would be? That's a rhetorical question. The only way they're working on Star Fox is if Nintendo flat-out tells them to make it. I doubt Nintendo would do that since Retro Studios, one of Nintendo's premier development teams, would be spending 2 years or so working on a franchise in a niche genre instead something mainstream that can help sell Wii U units.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
I would rather have another Excite then have Monster Games do F-Zero GX.  What made Excite good was doing tricks etc.  Not something you want in an F-Zero Game.

I'm holding hope that we'll get a new IP for WiiU.  Really do the start of this right.  An IP that was designed in such a way that no one would really be able to think about it without the advantages of the WiiU.  That will be hard to do. 

I would also like to see at launch a Nintendo funded game for 5 and under.  Something akin to the Dora series of games but, more polished.  A game that is good but can be played by someone 5 and under.

Pikmin 3 will probably shine on the platform.  I'm just ready for something fresh.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 23, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure since you're you that you're just saying what you want instead of what makes sense. How would either of those things suggest what Retro studio's next project would be? That's a rhetorical question. The only way they're working on Star Fox is if Nintendo flat-out tells them to make it. I doubt Nintendo would do that since Retro Studios, one of Nintendo's premier development teams, would be spending 2 years or so working on a franchise in a niche genre instead something mainstream that can help sell Wii U units.

My reasoning is that Retro Studios took two of Nintendo's IPs that were either neglected or witnessed several bad sequels, which would be Metroid and Donkey Kong, and turned them into top tier franchises again. Look at how revered the Metroid Prime series is, and granted that DKCR had its faults, but for the most part that game was very well done and revitalized the Donkey Kong series. Why can;t the Star Fox series be the same? The Star Fox series is in the same position today that both Metroid and Donkey Kong were in the early 2000s. Hell, Strar Fox Wii U might already be in development by Retro Studios as we speak and might get a reveal this E3. All I am saying is that based on what Retro studios ha done to the Metroid and DK series, a Star Fox game would be right up their alley.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 23, 2011, 06:58:24 PM »
Why can;t the Star Fox series be the same?
Because Star Fox is a (mostly) on-rails shooter. It has a shorter reach no matter how good Retro Studios could make it.

Metroid and Donkey Kong can and have carried an entire holiday season for Nintendo, primarily because they belong in genres that appeal to a wider audience. Star Fox will never be relied on in that way no matter who develops it. Star Fox will always be an IP that Nintendo uses to supplement their lineup rather than bet the console on. Nintendo isn't going to waste Retro Studios's talent on Star Fox. Nintendo would give Retro Studios Zelda or Mario before they give them Star Fox because Nintendo needs them working on bigger projects.

Nintendo doesn't need Retro Studios to save Star Fox. Nintendo can hand the franchise to any able developer and force them to refine it until it not only doesn't suck, but is actually a decent title. The reason the quality of post-Star Fox 64 entires in the series has degraded is because Nintendo knows Star Fox doesn't need to be a AAA title. The expectations are much lower than Mario or Zelda or Metroid which they know are their real moneymakers. It sucks for Star Fox fans but it's true.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: November 23, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
I don't see why F-Zero should be farmed out.  Yeah GX turned out good but that was the same deal that had Namco working on Star Fox.  We're LUCKY the F-Zero handoff didn't **** up the series.  I don't think Nintendo should risk doing that again.  I want to see EAD do it, like they did with F-Zero and F-Zero X.  And I sure as hell don't want Western devs touching it.  As good as F-Zero GX is, it is incredibly generic.  They literally just took the same 30 characters and vehicles from F-Zero X.  The only new ones were incredibly hard to unlock.  F-Zero GX stands out from F-Zero X entirely because it doesn't look like balls.  It's a glorified track pack with better graphics.  I blame that on AV playing it too safe.  Often when you hand a series off they either play it too safe or completely miss the point and ruin the game outright.  I only trust Nintendo themselves to make sure it plays right while also introducing new ideas.

I realy don't like the idea of Retro Studios being Nintendo's IP resurrection guys.  I've wanted to play something ORIGINAL from them since Metroid Prime 2.  There is some real creativity in the games they've made but that creativity is restricted by the existing IP.  I want to see what they can come up with from scratch.  Plus with Star Fox, I think it is EAD's responsibility to set the franchise back on track.  It's been handed off and that's why it SUCKS.  There are TWO good Star Fox games and they're the ones that EAD were heavily involved with.  Why would you want anyone but the Star Fox 64 team involved?  Treasure might do a good job however based on their shmup experience.

Nintendo probably can't get a Mario title ready for the Wii U launch and aside from that and Zelda they don't really have anything non-casual that truly will sell a new system.  But why do they have to use an existing franchise?  Somehow MS attracted more interest in the Xbox with the brand new Halo franchise than Nintendo ever did with the Gamecube and its numerous Nintendo franchise titles.  And if we want to go way back Sega made the Genesis matter with Sonic, which was brand new at the time.  If you have a great game and you market it well, you can sell systems with it.  In fact Nintendo did just that with Wii Sports.  Despite the industry's infactuation with sequels each gen numerous new IPs become hits.  Aside from Wii Sports did you ever hear of Gears of War, Uncharted or fuckin' Rock Band before this gen?  Notice how Call of Duty is the biggest game in the land when last gen it was barely notable?  Kind of like how last gen GTA went from a minor franchise to being bigger than Mario?

Every gen new IPs become big hits.  Nintendo had very little new IP on the Gamecube and then they struck gold on the DS and Wii with games like Nintendogs and Wii Sports.  They may be casual titles but they also were unique to their system.  If I want to play Mario I don't need a Wii U.  No one needed a Gamecube to play Mario.  But they needed a Wii to play Wii Sports.  There was no other way to get it.  New IPs can bomb but when one becomes a hit your system is a must-own.  If Retro is working on something brand new and it's a great game and it's as cool as Metroid Prime, Nintendo will sell a million Wii U's with just an E3 trailer.

Mario doesn't have to be there, just something as good as Mario.  The issue is that Nintendo needs to have something really good at the Wii U launch that they then market well.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 23, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
Why can;t the Star Fox series be the same?
Because Star Fox is a (mostly) on-rails shooter. It has a shorter reach no matter how good Retro Studios could make it.

Metroid and Donkey Kong can and have carried an entire holiday season for Nintendo, primarily because they belong in genres that appeal to a wider audience. Star Fox will never be relied on in that way no matter who develops it. Star Fox will always be an IP that Nintendo uses to supplement their lineup rather than bet the console on. Nintendo isn't going to waste Retro Studios's talent on Star Fox. Nintendo would give Retro Studios Zelda or Mario before they give them Star Fox because Nintendo needs them working on bigger projects.

Nintendo doesn't need Retro Studios to save Star Fox. Nintendo can hand the franchise to any able developer and force them to refine it until it not only doesn't suck, but is actually a decent title. The reason the quality of post-Star Fox 64 entires in the series has degraded is because Nintendo knows Star Fox doesn't need to be a AAA title. The expectations are much lower than Mario or Zelda or Metroid which they know are their real moneymakers. It sucks for Star Fox fans but it's true.

What else does Nintendo have besides F-Zero, Sta Fox and Pikmin that can act as launch titles for the Wii U? All of the A-list titles can not get out of the door in time to be lauch titles, so we are left with these three establised franchises to be with the Wii U on laucnh day. I do not ruleout the possibilitiy of new IPs, what I think is that Pikimin 3 will be the hot software product and F-Zero and Star Fox will supplement it with new IPs.

What will most likely happen is that Nintendo will rely on western developers to make a few of their franchises as launch titles. Pikmin 3 will be the only real, or official, Nnitendo game developed by a Japanese team and everythign else will be western made with Retro Studios leadin the charge. Nintendo will then funnel all of their resources for Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Metroid development for later releases through early to late 2013. I expect Super Mario Wii U and Mario Kart 8 to be holiday 2013 titles much in the same as 2011 is for the 3DS versions of those franchises. Everything else will come in 2014.

Was Star Fox 64 a N64 launch title?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: November 23, 2011, 07:37:14 PM »
F-Zero GX stands out from F-Zero X entirely because it doesn't look like balls.  It's a glorified track pack with better graphics.

What a load of crap.

I expect Super Mario Wii U and Mario Kart 8 to be holiday 2013 titles much in the same as 2011 is for the 3DS versions of those franchises. Everything else will come in 2014.

Does your crystal ball have a google app to look into the recent past?

This thread sucks.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: November 23, 2011, 07:42:21 PM »
Click here.

Nintendo could literally have any franchise available at launch if the solution is: Let Retro Studios Develop It. That game doesn't have to and really shouldn't be Star Fox in that case. If Nintendo wanted Retro Studios to make any game with the Wii U launch as the deadline, they would give them Mario because Mario will sell more systems than Star Fox.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 23, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
I really want to see Retro get a chance to do their own IP, but I'd love to to see what they'd do with Mario.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: November 23, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »
I really want to see Retro get a chance to do their own IP, but I'd love to to see what they'd do with Mario.

Good luck getting Zelda or Mario out of EAD Tokyo's clutches.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »

Good luck getting Zelda or Mario out of EAD Tokyo's clutches.

It happened on the GBA with Zelda. Don't know if that counts though.

I want Retro do Star fox or something new. I don't mind them coming back to DK maybe once more next gen, but no more!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 23, 2011, 08:38:38 PM »
SquareEnix's FF Team talks Wii U
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/final_fantasy_xiii-2/b/ps3/archive/2011/11/23/creators-talk-time-travel-sequel-development-amp-more.aspx
What are your thoughts on developing for the PlayStation Vita and Nintendo’s Wii U?

Kitase: The Vita is a PlayStation platform that has a lot of similarities in the development process to the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, so we think it will be an easy transition to start developing for it. There’s nothing to talk about on our end yet, though. With the Wii U, it’s great that there’s a high definition console from Nintendo on the market, which was previously lacking. As far as the specs are concerned, the Wii U seems like something we could develop easily for as well. Hopefully that becomes part of our multiplatform lineup, but we can’t be certain as of now.

Maybe they should ask the DQ team, they've supposedly been working on it for a while now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: November 23, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
Let's have a friendly bet where I bet that Star Fox will be appear at E3 2012 and will be developed for thr Wii U by Retro Studios.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 23, 2011, 09:24:35 PM »
IF Starfox is at E3 2012 for Wii U and is developed by Retro Studios you can pick my avatar, title and my signature for the rest of that E3 month.

We will all collectively applaud you till your positive and negatives are even again.

BUT if you lose, everytime you bring up something crazy, all we have to say is "Stop it Kytim", and you are not allowed to bring it up again for a minimum of 3 months (or 90 days) or risk a 48hr - 1 week banning per offense. This is to stay in effect till the end of the year (Dec 31st 2012)

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 23, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
IF Starfox is at E3 2012 for Wii U and is developed by Retro Studios you can pick my avatar, title and my signature for the rest of that E3 month.

We will all collectively applaud you till your positive and negatives are even again.

BUT if you lose, everytime you bring up something crazy, all we have to say is "Stop it Kytim", and you are not allowed to bring it up again for a minimum of 3 months (or 90 days) or risk a 48hr - 1 week banning per offense. This is to stay in effect till the end of the year (Dec 31st 2012)

It's a deal as long as there is a list of things I can not say (on another thread).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 23, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
We'll keep track of it when the time comes.

But the banning part still needs mod approval (same with the custom title as only they can change it).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:49:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 23, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
We'll keep track of it when the time comes.

This Star Fox and Retro Studios is not like my usual carziness because I have a strong feeling that they are working on the game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 23, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »
Your original reasoning behind it was crazy though

that requires a LOLwut.jpg
but I don't feel like looking for it right now.

your fleshed out reasoning later made much more sense, but the comments like the quote above come from you far to often.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Your original reasoning behind it was crazy though

that requires a LOLwut.jpg
but I don't feel like looking for it right now.

your fleshed out reasoning later made much more sense, but the comments like the quote above come from you far to often.

That post was made very late at night and I was very sleepy.