Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592742 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1750 on: November 17, 2011, 09:06:34 PM »
With USB support, you might as well plug in a mouse and keyboard.  I can kind of envision a control scheme using the Wii remote as the mouse and the Wii U tablet as a keyboard replacement, or one using the touch screen as a track pad for an on screen pointer, but it seems kind of wonky.  We'd be better off with RTS games that work to consoles' strengths instead of trying to overcome their weaknesses to play PC style RTS games.  Something like those games where you play as a commander on the ground, running around among your units, perhaps.  I can see the tablet helping out a lot there.

The problem is that Blizzard has tried that specific idea before with StarCraft: Ghost, and if you remember it that story didn't end well.  Blizzard doesn't have a good history with new projects tailored specifically for consoles after the SNES era, so I wouldn't want to tempt fate on that.
Don't forget the Warcraft adventure game that was suppose to go between Warcraft 2 and 3.  This is where Thrall comes from.  The project was scratched so the story had to be fit into Warcraft 3 because it was written when they thought the game would still go through so some of the story was changed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
Apparently Nintendo views DLC as frivolous:

http://kotaku.com/5860871/nintendo-doesnt-want-to-sell-frivolous-dlc-to-complete-an-incomplete-game

When asked by AOL if Nintendo ever plans to enter the DLC fray itself, Reggie said they don't want to force the issue just for the sake of it.

"We're interested in it to the extent that it makes sense to the consumer...But what we're unwilling to sell is a piece of a game upfront and, if you will, force a consumer to buy more later...I think the consumer wants to get, for their money, a complete experience, and then we have opportunities to provide more on top of that," he said.

Now, I am currently playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I am stuck with 67 stars and the only way to get more is to complete a bunch of pain the ass time trial missions to aquire 70 starts to unlock the final level. I would be willing to pay Nintendo $9.99 for extra worlds for this game if it meant that I could earn more stars via non-time trialed worlds.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:52:02 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1752 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
No they don't; he's speaking out against the now-common models of unlocking game content already on the disc/shipping an incomplete game where you have to pay more to unlock the rest.
Now, I am currently playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I am stuck with 67 stars and the only way to get more is to complete a bunch of pain the ass time trial missions to aquire 70 starts to unlock the final level. I would be willing to pay Nintendo $9.99 for extra worlds for this game if it meant that I could earn more stars via non-time trialed worlds.
That has nothing to do with DLC, and thank goodness they aren't listening to you because that business model has no place in Nintendo games.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
No they don't; he's speaking out against the now-common models of unlocking game content already on the disc/shipping an incomplete game where you have to pay more to unlock the rest.
That has nothing to do with DLC, and thank goodness they aren't listening to you because that business model has no place in Nintendo games.

It would be nice if I could mail an SD card to someone with my Galaxy 2 save data and let them beat the time trial for me and then return it with the seventy stars in place.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »
So long as Nintendo doesn't start imposing restrictions on DLC for 3rd party developers, they can do whatever they want with DLC as far as I'm concerned.  If they believe that a game having staggered DLC releases means it's "incomplete", fine.  As long as they don't appoint themselves as judge; jury; and executioner on what is or is not a "complete" 3rd party title (and therefore will be "allowed" to have DLC on the Wii U and 3DS), we'll get along fine.

Because if Nintendo does end up crossing that line, you can kiss 3rd party support on the Wii U goodbye.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 18, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
It would be nice if I could mail an SD card to someone with my Galaxy 2 save data and let them beat the time trial for me and then return it with the seventy stars in place.
There's nothing stopping you except willing parties.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 18, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »
There's nothing stopping you except willing parties.

If there was a way to bypass knowing someone's mailing address then I would be all for it. Perhaps NWR could act as a middle man? I could use some help on the Metroid queen fromm Other M as well. Oh, and the 7th boss from No More Heroes one.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 18, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Maybe I would be willing to play and beat your games for you if you paid me.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »
Maybe I would be willing to play and beat your games for you if you paid me.

How much are we talking?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
You wouldn't need to ship the card, by the way; you just need to copy the relevant files, and you could e-mail them.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 18, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »
You wouldn't need to ship the card, by the way; you just need to copy the relevant files, and you could e-mail them.

I would prefer to email, so if anyone is interested in helping me then Pm me and I will give my emial address.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:53 PM »
While I never tried it but there's an site called wiisave.com that you might want to look at.

Can't believe you're having trouble with those games though, hell my mom beat SMG2 even :0.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
While I never tried it but there's an site called wiisave.com that you might want to look at.

Can't believe you're having trouble with those games though, hell my mom beat SMG2 even :0.

I can get past most anything, but time trials are not my forte. I have always done poorly when going up against a timer.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1763 on: November 19, 2011, 01:04:57 AM »
That must come in handy in the sack.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 19, 2011, 07:25:19 AM »
There are people out there who are really dumb enough to believe a DLC download that's only like 100Kb includes a huge amount of content, when really all it does is unlock stuff you already have installled. I spent a long long time arguing with someone about how some game that was several gigabytes in size included all the DLC in it and that the tiny little unlock thing did not include all the extras, it simply unlocked them. And I'm not sure if I was even able to convince them... some people are just dumb. But to anyone with half a brain its obvious that a 100kb or 1mb download does not include some huge additions to a game, because how could that much fit in such a small download?
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1765 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
I heard some devs are even bloating the download size to hide the fact that you're just unlocking what's already there.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 20, 2011, 04:11:40 AM »
I can see that.  1MB for an unlock code...  THough a meg may be big enough to put in the textures for a new costume.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1767 on: November 20, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
They might even go higher if it's something like extra levels/missions.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 22, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
I have been brainstorming what first party titles could launch with the Wii U and I could very easily see Nintendo making a new Mario Paint as a launch day title.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1769 on: November 22, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
I could see that. It'd be a lot better than some trace and color tech demo.

Since we just got a Zelda and a new Mario game probably still needs time in the cooker, I think Nintendo could do well to launch with 3 of their "B" franchises. Pikmin 3 would be a fan favorite, but I think an RPG like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars could also be a good use of the uPad. Fire Emblem might need to be suped up a little to make use of the features, but it could still work, especially with multiplayer. The third game could be a new Metroid game. The uPad would make a great scan visor, and I think they could squeeze in a few other features like using the touch screen to manage/mix/match weapons.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
No game would be better than BG&E2 for a Wii U launch title (Xmas Zelda-like game).

uPad would be Jade's camera and you can do 360o camera search with your uPad completely independent of the direction you are heading using the control sticks.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: November 23, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »
what would the art direction be like in a new BG&E game? Like Wii U will have tons better graphics than gcn did.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 23, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
what would the art direction be like in a new BG&E game? Like Wii U will have tons better graphics than gcn did.
http://www.bgemyth.net/?page=news/afficher_news.php&news=1007

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: November 23, 2011, 01:51:04 AM »
I have mentiojed these before, but I will add them again:

Nintendo Wii U Launch Titles:

Pikmin 3
Starfox (developed by Retro Studios)
F-Zero  (developed by Next Level Game or Monster Games)
Mario Paint (with U)
Advanced Wars
Wii Sports Winter Edition (bundled with the Wii U)

I see F-Zero being a Wii U launch title to satisfy Mario Kart fans until an HD version of that game is released sometime in late 2013. It will get a reveal at E3 of 2013.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 23, 2011, 02:08:56 AM »
The problem is that while all of those could be great, there's nothing there with the mainstream appeal to be a real system seller, as I think Wii Sports is played out, and not a good place to go with a new system. I'd absolutely love that lineup, and I'd wager a lot of other people here would as well, but you need something bigger to move the hardware to a wider audience beyond just us Nintendo fans.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent