Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592840 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1700 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
I don't remember, but didn't Nintendo show off an air-hockey game on the pad? That would require a multi-touch screen.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »
They might've, but since Miyamoto made the comment that you could substitute a 3DS for a uMote, the fact that they didn't just come out and say it was multi-touch, and that none of the software/demo's at E3 supported multi-touch would lead you to assume that there was only a single touch resistive touch screen in the uMote at the time of unveiling.

I know the patent states that it can be single, multi, resistive or capacitive, but I'm just hoping Nintendo decides to lean towards added potential over the saving of a few more $$ when it comes down to cost considerations and feature compromises.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 10, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
I agree Resident Evil 2 and 3 could see some remake action.

Resident Evil 2 was my first RE game, and it was quite nice. Combine that with HD graphics, and an upgraded control system and you have a game very worth getting. I never played RE3 all the way through, so theres that.

Hey maybe now that Wii U has leet graphics Silicon Knights can return and make a sequel to ED

I'm only ok with this if the controls got improved too.
  yeah ideally, you want an re4 and re5 controlled game, but you want it to be in the same place with the same characters, but what you don't want are fixed static camera angles like in the old school. However, you do want the emphasis on scaring the **** out of you and less so on action. Next gen means several things, and one of them is the ability to put the old backgrounds in the same quality the fully per-rendered ones were, or better.

It also means you could tweak gameplay a lot, I could imagine zombie hordes to worry about throughout the game rising the tension. Whereas in the old game you shot 3 zombies in a room and that was that, this time you have to constantly worry about them busting in. If i were to change something I would include more melee weapons or silent weapons like arrows, and make it so if that there is windows in a room than its not a good idea to shoot with a gun. Also, to add some degree of AI randomness, some wild card that makes playing the game different every time. Another thing that would be cool is destructible environments and crafting. Basically a total remake, not just a cosmetic change.

Also, even better, re2 and 3 take place at the same time in the same city, why not make make them as one experience, where you can interact with both plotlines and throw out some of the linearity. Why make it just take place inside the police station or wherever skank Jill goes toi dont remember). The beginning of re2 has some fmv stuff that could be made into gameplay. They should call it Resident Evil Racoon City Apocalypse.

Two seperate games and the save file from Resident Evil 2 REmake is carried over to Resident Evil 3 REmake to alter puzzles and level layout in a similar manner to the Mass Effect titles. Also, it is high time that Dino Crisis 4 makes a return to the industry on the Wii U.

I don't know about that, i do kinda like that idea, but Resident Evil 2 and 3 are not very long games to begin with. It would be better to make some master universe related game, or would it be better to make

A MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE game..actually i think they have those...

2 and 3 have the same setting and same time frame, Resident Evil games were 2D though, so no traveling between games. It would be cool to be playing Leons file and then totally side track into resident evil 3 and meet up with Jill during her plotline, or vise versa. Think of it as Majora's Mask. Each NPC character has their schedule and winds up where they are supposed to be within their respective plotline, except this course is alterable depending on how you play. Actually doesn't dead rising sort of have this? There you go. Also, wouldnt it make sense for Dead Rising and Resident Evil to join universes, or is there a plotline reason this can't happen, IDK i didnt finish Dead Rising and haven't played its sequel.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »
Resident Evil and Dead Rising have completely different tones ad gameplay. Combining the series wouldn't make sense. Capcom had their chance to remake the older games in a way that would solve the problem of length if RE4 controls were introduced but they made them lightgun games instead. And we're all worse off for it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 12, 2011, 09:04:59 PM »
The Simpsons to do"E3" this Sunday.
 http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/2011/11/12/the-simpsons-to-parody-the-wii-u-e3-show/

They seek to play the "Vii Vu" made by "Funtendo" @ "E4".

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1705 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
They're either 6 months late or 6 months early, so I'm not sure if this is made of win or fail. It's in some sort of quantum superstate.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1706 on: November 12, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
Fin or Whale?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1707 on: November 12, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
They're either 6 months late or 6 months early, so I'm not sure if this is made of win or fail. It's in some sort of quantum superstate.

Six months late if the scene in question is about the Wii U. The Simpsons is almost always behind on their real world parodies. Hell, this season is the first in years that the Tree House of Horror episode wasn't aired around Thanksgiving.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 12, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
fission mailed
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1709 on: November 15, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
Hell, this season is the first in years that the Tree House of Horror episode wasn't aired around Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving? That is an exaggeration. I think the producers realized that it sucked to have the Halloween episode in November (it was because of the MLB playoffs) since last weeks blackboard gag said something like "It's November, where is the Treehouse of Horror episode?". The latest it ever aired was November 7 (2004 and 2010). However, the 2009 episode actually aired earlier than any other THOH episode ever has (October 18).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: November 15, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »
Is Nintendo responsible for the dropping of game sales?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1212413p1.html
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:11 PM »
I read maybe five seconds worth of that editorial and deemed it not worthy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 15, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »
That what happens when your the largest.  You have a lot of effect on the numbers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 15, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
I read maybe five seconds worth of that editorial and deemed it not worthy.

I only needed to look at the domain name to figure that out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 15, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
Kytim, do us a favor and quote the important part of whatever is on the other side of a link just so that we don't have to give undeserved hits to undesirable sites such as IGN.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1715 on: November 15, 2011, 08:26:22 PM »
Wasn't there a year where Nintendo systems were responsible for 99% of the game industry's profits?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: November 15, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
99% sounds like a lot, but early in the generation it would have been very high, given the high margins on both the Wii and DS and Sony and Microsoft still taking a loss. Actually, if you're only counting the hardware manufacturers 99% might be accurate.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 15, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »
Kytim, do us a favor and quote the important part of whatever is on the other side of a link just so that we don't have to give undeserved hits to undesirable sites such as IGN.

I had to leave in a hurry and so I posted that link in a rush. I wil keep this in mind for fututre reference.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: November 15, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »

The short version (a summary) of the article: "Nintendo sells the most hardware units and their software regularly sells among the most of any in the industry.  Nintendo has put out almost nothing this year in NA on Wii and the 3DS has had a rough start, so they are possibly to blame for hardware and software sales being down compared to last year."
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:51 PM »
I'll be damned if I'm going to give IGN traffic, but if that's an accurate summary of the article it's an at least somewhat fair criticism.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: November 15, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
Here is a far better detailed article on Nintendo's situation, at least for North America from gamasutra. But I found the conclusion ridiculous. It essentially concludes that Nintendo is doomed in polite language. It also misses the whole point. Nintendo was the overwhelming leader in the massive growth over the last couple of years, so when the generation switch over came up where there is a traditional contraction, of course Nintendo would also lead since they are the leader. Toss in the continued financial crisis and you get double the trouble.

IGN's editorial is based of Gamasutra's which is essentially a rewording of their analysis. If you want the nitty gritty, go to the source. It will save you from going to IGN.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Anyone claiming Nintendo is doomed is either stupid or just trolling for hits, or both.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »

The short version (a summary) of the article: "Nintendo sells the most hardware units and their software regularly sells among the most of any in the industry.  Nintendo has put out almost nothing this year in NA on Wii and the 3DS has had a rough start, so they are possibly to blame for hardware and software sales being down compared to last year."

So because Nintendo took a leave of absence and was not available to prop the industry up by inflating all the sales numbers by dominating as usual, the industry is down.

So because Jordan was out of the game on injury, the Bulls have had their lowest scoring game in recent history.... It's all Jordan's fault no one stepped up to fill the void.

Did I get that right?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: November 15, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
That's what I was thinkin; they ceded the release schedule to their competitors for the past year, then somehow they can't release games either, and it's Nintendo's fault?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: November 15, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
If Nintendo has learned anything from the past three console generations it should be to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Don't leave holes in the release lineup assuming third parties will be there to step in. If you get real support lined up, make room, but if not be ready to support it all by yourself. No one seriously complains when there are too many games coming out.

J.P. Corbran