Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592761 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1650 on: November 03, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
It's actually related to the way the Circle Pad Pro works.

How so?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1651 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
It's a bolted-on device that uses infrared to send input in a way that wasn't originally intended.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 05, 2011, 12:22:20 AM »
I asked this question in another place on this forum, but is it possible that Sony and Microsoft could see the potential threat of the Umote controller for the Wii U and develope a tablet controller of their own for the current PS3 and 360? Granted it may be too for them to add anything new to their exsisting consoles, but keep in mind that many of us figure that the Xbox 720 and PS4 will not be out until atleast 2013 to 2014.

Keep in mind that the PS3 currently streams games from the PSN to the PSP, so all Sony would have to do is figure a way to stream PS3 games onto a tablet controller modelled after a dualshock controller. Although Microsoft does not have a traditional handheld of its own, but it could be an imitation of the 360 controller with an LCD screen in the middle.

Edit: Wouldn't they need a special chip inside the consoles to pull this off? I ask because Sony and Microsoft have imitated Nintendo with motion controllers, so why not the streaming controller with a screen?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 05, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »
Sony already has Vita.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 05, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
@ Megabyte

Nintendo has 3DS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1655 on: November 05, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
The Vita can already act as a uPad for the most part is what he's saying. They wouldn't need to develop anything.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 05, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
The Vita can already act as a uPad for the most part is what he's saying. They wouldn't need to develop anything.

Then why does Nintendo need to develop a Umote?

The answer is because the 3DS was (and is) a too expensive device to expect people to purchase multiple units of for local multiplayer. The Umote exists because it is able to the things that it needs to be able to do, while leaving out the other things in order to reduce the cost. So the result is the Umote will cost half or a third as much as a 3DS which means being able to afford multiple controllers isn't going to be as much of a nightmare.

So by that very same logic it would also make sense for Sony to do something like the Umote, because the Vita is $250 and who is going to buy 4 Vitas for local multiplayer? That would be $1000 just on the controllers alone.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 05, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
I could see Sony doing this because their title of having the most powerful console on the market will soon be trumped by Nintendo with the Wii U and Sony would do it as a form of revenge. The bigger question is whether Microsoft will do it with the 360? If the PS3 and 360 have atleast two years worth life left then I could see them releasing their own screened controllers to keep up with Nintendo. They did the same thing with motion controllers. All Sony and Microsoft would have to do is retool their tablet market with their respective game controllers and stream the games.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1658 on: November 05, 2011, 02:27:41 PM »

Then why does Nintendo need to develop a Umote?

The answer is because the 3DS was (and is) a too expensive device to expect people to purchase multiple units of for local multiplayer. The Umote exists because it is able to the things that it needs to be able to do, while leaving out the other things in order to reduce the cost. So the result is the Umote will cost half or a third as much as a 3DS which means being able to afford multiple controllers isn't going to be as much of a nightmare.

So by that very same logic it would also make sense for Sony to do something like the Umote, because the Vita is $250 and who is going to buy 4 Vitas for local multiplayer? That would be $1000 just on the controllers alone.

Well, Nintendo sold us the idea of asymmetrical multiplayer game play to begin with. To recreate that only one person needs a Vita. To recreate 4 uPads at once, then we'd have the same situation with GBA/GC connectivity. However, Nintendo is giving Sony the chance to sell Vitas while waiting for some proof of concept/capability on their part. By that time, the Vita will see a price drop and possibly enough market penetration to make this a more plausible feature.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 05, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
The 3DS does not have the screen specs to do streaming of Wii U games. It can't do all the things the new controller can. Nintendo chose to keep costs down on both fronts, which is something Sony doesn't do.

Of course, we don't even know if the Wii U will make use of multiple Wii U controllers.

With Vita, there's probably a good chance you already own a PS3, so the major cost of a new home console is cut. The Vita doubles as a standalone portable, so if you want to own one console and one handheld, there's no extra cost in buying another controller. Sony could push this aspect if they choose.

Granted, these might be different markets, but if the style of gaming does pick up, then it would be reasonable to expect a screen-only controller from Sony, but they'll already be able to match features and get games out using Vita.

What the companies really want is for everybody to own a handheld to bring to friends' places. Of course, this didn't work so well with GBA/GC, and probably only phones/tablets have the penetration to have that happen successfully.

I expect Microsoft to try to integrate play between Windows Phone and their console at some point, and now that Sony is in full control of their phone division, they could go in that direction too.

Actually, EA is already doing this with their games on tablets and phones.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:34:37 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 05, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
Microsoft has demo's but, they are really trying to solidify Kinect.  Which has potential but, hasn't had its break out piece of software.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 08, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
Here is some startling news about Wii U and Vita support in Japan:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1211869p1.html

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:49 AM »
Nintendo has yet to show a single 1st party title. That's like a asking, "Do you want to see that movie with that actor, what's-his-name?" and expecting anyone to be excited about it. If the reaction is like this next year after Nintendo shows something, you can be surprised then. That said, this looks bad for Sony considering everything is known about Vita, including the games, and it's launching in about a month in Japan. Then again, if someone hacks it (and someone will), people will buy it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:18:20 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 08, 2011, 12:22:23 PM »
I agree. This is bad news for Sony, not so much for Nintendo.

do this poll again in after E3 2012, then we might have something to talk about.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
You know,  I swear I made a long post in here about how Wii U really miss the sweet spot momentum wise not being this holiday season, how games were viewed more like TV Shows now and not Movies, and a link to How to do Everything's episode on TV Show producing.

I ended it all with a plea to Nintendo to start "Leaking" game information for the Wii U begining of next year.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: November 08, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
In Japan do they even like consoles at all anymore?  Are they not interested in the Wii U specifically or is just because it's a console?  What percentage are interested in the Wii or PS3?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »
In Japan do they even like consoles at all anymore?  Are they not interested in the Wii U specifically or is just because it's a console?  What percentage are interested in the Wii or PS3?

Considering the Wii has sold close to 12 million systems in Japan, even with its terrible third party support, I'd say a good percentage of the Japanese still do care about console.  Plus there's the fact that many of Nintendo's first party games on the Wii were million sellers in Japan shows that the home console market is still very important for Nintendo even in Japan.  Hell, New Super Mario Bros Wii managed to sell over 4 million copies in Japan alone, which is more than most Nintendo games sell worldwide on any system.

Of course like others have said, right now Nintendo hasn't announced anything to make the Japanese excited about the console.  As soon as they show the next Smash Bros, Mario Kart and 2D Mario, the Japanese fanbase will be excited for the Wii U.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: November 08, 2011, 05:03:55 PM »
Here's a rumor that doesn't really say much that we don't already know or suspect.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/39077/Nintendo-working-on-Wii-U-support-for-two-tablets

Basically it just states that Nintendo is working on support for 2 WiiU tablets based off the feedback they recieved at this year's E3.  It also says that the RAM and processor speed have not been finalized.  Hopefully we get some more news soon.  I remember the president of EA going to Japan to visit with Nintendo and get some further updates on the WiiU just a few weeks back.  I'm suprised nothing has found its way out of that visit. 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if some of those High up visits from Third Parties specifically drove in that point.

I think 2 would be fine.

Also most higher ups barely tell there employees relevant things from there meetings to do there jobs.  I'm not surprised by hearing nothing from that.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: November 08, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
It also says that the RAM and processor speed have not been finalized.

From what I understand processing speed means very little anymore, at least as far as gaming is concerned. RAM is very important, though, and hopefully Nintendo will beef it up to at least 8gb, but really you can't overdue that except as far as price is concerned.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: November 08, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
It also says that the RAM and processor speed have not been finalized.

From what I understand processing speed means very little anymore, at least as far as gaming is concerned. RAM is very important, though, and hopefully Nintendo will beef it up to at least 8gb, but really you can't overdue that except as far as price is concerned.

HAHAHALOL

Not gonna happen. This is not regular PC RAM we're talking about here. There won't be anymore than 2GB between System and Video RAM. We can hope for 2.5GB, but 8GB's is beyond ridiculous.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
Nintendo would need a huge coolant system to maintain 8GBs of RAM. To fututre proof the Wii U I could see Nintendo implementing 2GB for all the various RAMs used in the system.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: November 08, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Nintendo would need a huge coolant system to maintain 8GBs of RAM. To fututre proof the Wii U I could see Nintendo implementing 2GB for all the various RAMs used in the system.
They wouldn't.  A clever design and some of the newer tech could handle it.  Ram isn't as hot as it used to be.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't RAM what controls such things as enemy and NPC AI?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
NO, just no. RAM. CPU. CPU handles what you think RAM does.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?