Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592735 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1625 on: November 02, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
They wouldn't have put the trailer out at all if it was coming to unannounced systems. I think the lack of systems is probably more due to the fact that it IS coming to Wii U, but maybe Nintendo hasn't sent out any official logos for ad spots and such.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:50 AM »
Would Nintendo ever make it possible for 3DS games to stream to the Wii U and be played on the big screen much in the same manner as Wii U games are stream to the Umote controller?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 03, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
Would Nintendo ever make it possible for 3DS games to stream to the Wii U and be played on the big screen much in the same manner as Wii U games are stream to the Umote controller?

Would it be possible?  I doubt the 3DS has the necessary technology to stream that much data, though it might be transmittable through a USB cable if the 3DS has the necessary port (and I'm not sure it does. I don' t own one).  Would Nintendo do it if it were possible?  No, because Nintendo's bet everything on glasses-free 3D with the 3DS, and your nice big TV can't display that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:33 AM »
Nintendo COULD release a 3DS Player accessory for the Wii U which would function exactly the same as the GBA Player accessory for the Gamecube. But as for whether people would buy it and whether Nintendo would actually do it or want to do it is debatable. But it most certainly COULD be done.

I would think such a device wouldn't have to cost more than $50 or something like that, because the Wii U system itself would probably be able to do most of the work. The touchscreen and all that would be handled by the Umote.

No, because Nintendo's bet everything on glasses-free 3D with the 3DS, and your nice big TV can't display that.

The hypothetical 3DS Player peripheral I just suggested probably could handle the work of translating the 3DS data into something a 3D TV could display properly with glasses or not. Would there be a market for something like this which would allow people to play their 3DS games on a large TV screen?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:23:47 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 03, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »
Why couldn't it?  It can alraedy stream to other 3DS systems so what's the difference between that an an console.  Not sure if it's something Nintendo's going bother with since only a small amount of people would be interested in it. 

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 03, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »
What I had in mind was to activate the stream from your 3DS to the Wii U and then play the 3DS games with something like CCPro that has dual analogs and then you can take advantage of playing the games on a big LCD screen sans the 3D.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1631 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
No, because Nintendo's bet everything on glasses-free 3D with the 3DS, and your nice big TV can't display that.

It will soon.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 03, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
*shrug*
While I would love this for some games, Super Mario 3D Land and Skylanders.  I only see this happening if Nintendo can get a good margin on it and that late in the 3DS life where it won't eat to much into sales.

Now if you had to use the 3DS and not a new accessory to be the reader then I could see them doing this earlier then not.  The IR Transmitter could be fast enough to handle the IO between the two.  Just need an IR Port on the Wii U.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 03, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
What I had in mind was to activate the stream from your 3DS to the Wii U and then play the 3DS games with something like CCPro that has dual analogs and then you can take advantage of playing the games on a big LCD screen sans the 3D.

But you forgot about the touch screen.

Why would you stream a 3DS game through the Wii U and then not use the uMote in conjunction with the TV to mimic the 3DS setup?
or atleast use the 3DS as your controller so that you still have the touch screen?

why would you abandon the touch screen on a 3DS game to use a CCPro?

The uMote has dual analog, it's very comfortable to hold, has a touch screen, mic, camera, analog triggers, every button that a CCPro has and is wireless without needing to be tethered to anything.
As a matter of fact, the uMote and TV combo can do everything that a 3DS can do and then some, so in what way does it make sense to put the uMote down in favor of a CCPro, especially when it comes to using the Wii U as a 3DS player?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »
The only advantage a CCpro would have over the Umote is that it would be a lot cheaper, so it would be the way to go if you wanted to do like 4 player local multiplayer and the game didn't require a touchscreen (or more than one touchscreen). For games like that, and I assume that would be the majority of games, having more than one Umote would be overkill. The Umote is superior and can do more, but if the game doesn't require those extra bells and whistles then there is no reason to have them.

A CCpro might cost $20, compared to the Umote which might cost $80? $100? So clearly there would be a niche for it on the market. You could buy 4 or 5 CCpros for the cost of just one Umote. And after you've went and spent $300+ on a Wii U and $60 on a game, the CCpros with their cheaper price are going to look a lot more attractive than Umotes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:40:26 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »
The only advantage a CCpro would have over the Umote is that it would be a lot cheaper, so it would be the way to go if you wanted to do like 4 player local multiplayer and the game didn't require a touchscreen (or more than one touchscreen). For games like that, and I assume that would be the majority of games, having more than one Umote would be overkill. The Umote is superior and can do more, but if the game doesn't require those extra bells and whistles then there is no reason to have them.

A CCpro might cost $20, compared to the Umote which might cost $80? $100? So clearly there would be a niche for it on the market. You could buy 4 or 5 CCpros for the cost of just one Umote. And after you've went and spent $300+ on a Wii U and $60 on a game, the CCpros with their cheaper price are going to look a lot more attractive than Umotes.
That point means nothing for the 3DS games on Wii U discussion since by there very nature they are single player and you'll have at least 1 uMote.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 03, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »

Except for the fact that you are still gonna need a wiimote to tether it to.
Assuming you didn't already have 3 of them lying around, that will be another $30-$40(per CCPro) you can add to your hypothetical scenario.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 03, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
And the fact the CC doesn't have a screen.  So that rules it out anyway.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1638 on: November 03, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »

Except for the fact that you are still gonna need a wiimote to tether it to.
Assuming you didn't already have 3 of them lying around, that will be another $30-$40(per CCPro) you can add to your hypothetical scenario.

Except for the fact that I've already owned a Wii for sometime, so having 4 WiiMotes on hand isn't all that unreasonable. Especially when it's a system meant to be enjoyed with others.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 03, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
What are we talking about now?

Last I checked it was 3DS on Wii U.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
I'd imagine 90% of the Wii U's target demographic is going to be people who already own a Wii and therefore probably already have wiimotes on hand. It would only be an issue for the other 10%.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 03, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
I'd appreciate Nintendo perhaps issuing a new model of Wii U-only Wii remote since I'm skeptical that my current Wii remotes will still be functioning right in 4-5 years.  That said, I don't think Nintendo's really going to have to worry about people having Wii Remotes with the Wii U.  If you want a Wii U at all, I think it's close to a certainty that you already own a Wii.  Maybe you never play it, but you at least own one already.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 03, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »
Or owned one. I wonder how many people who bought a Wii years ago have since gotten rid of it due to it not living up to the hype/expectations.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 03, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
Or owned one. I wonder how many people who bought a Wii years ago have since gotten rid of it due to it not living up to the hype/expectations.

Probably less than you'd think reading the internet.  Even those like myself angry at how Nintendo has handled the system keep it around for a handful of games and the Virtual Console.  Besides, how can you make cracks about "dusting off the Wii" for a game when you don't own a Wii anymore?   ;)

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 03, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »
I noticed that the Wii slim has been released, so has anybody seen it up close?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »
What are we talking about now?

Last I checked it was 3DS on Wii U.

Yeah, they seem to have forgotten that.

I noticed that the Wii slim has been released, so has anybody seen it up close?

AFAIK it's exactly the same size. It's just missing the top flap and any GC components.
Not exactly a Wii Slim. More of a Wii Skim.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 03, 2011, 09:29:47 PM »
Here is a new patent that is more than likely Wii U related (since the Wii all but dead at this point)

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/03/nintendo-patent-reveals-accessory-that-turns-a-wii-remote-into-a-touchpad/

image courtesy of NeoGAF
Wii U’s defining feature is a giant touchpad controller. While one player controls Samus’ spaceship, other players may have tiny touch screens of their own. A Japanese patent application filed by Nintendo reveals an accessory you slide on to a Wii remote and turns it into a touchpad.

The magic of mirrors makes the device work. When you touch the pad an infrared LED turns on and the amplified beams from the LED bounce off the mirror and are interpreted by the controller as position data. If you don’t touch the pad, the remote works just like a standard Wii remote.

Nintendo proposes their accessory can be used as an in-game drawing pad or to add a mouse pointer interface to a video game.

So now the wiimote can be a pointer or a trackpad.
Maybe that is a MarioPaint Wii accessory?
or a new way to play FPS on consoles.

But this is surely no substitute for 2-4 uMote local multi, so I hope this isn't an attempt at that solution.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1647 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
It's actually related to the way the Circle Pad Pro works.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »
Clever, but kind of unwieldy.  The touch screen on the Wii U controller just makes this seem redundant, and I don't think multiplayer would work without a screen.  I really don't see the point.  At least it would be multi-touch.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1649 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »
But this is surely no substitute for 2-4 uMote local multi, so I hope this isn't an attempt at that solution.

Knowing Nintendo, it just might be their way to cheap out on that.