Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592746 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1575 on: October 24, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
In theory the Wii shouldn't be like that but it's final year is even worse than the other two.
Any year with a new Zelda isn't a bad year. Sure, the GameCube had a Zelda game in its fifth year too, and it remains to be seen if Skyward Sword is even better. But the GameCube and Nintendo 64 didn't have another major release in the fifth year, and the Wii also has Kirby's Return to Dream Land. I'd say that's definitely better than things like Odama and even Paper Mario, though that's just me. The Wii will also have six Nintendo-published titles whereas the other two had four each.

I'm not saying this year couldn't and shouldn't be better, but it still has the previous two systems beat in my book.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 24, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
Ian, thats assuming that Wii U is successful in all regards, one of the goals of Wii was to get good third party development, and despite this it had initial support that dropped off. So in the eyes of Iwata its for sure a sales success, but not a success with developers. Plus, the Wii is a glorified gamecube..theres only so much you can do with it.  Gamecube wasn't a horse that got beat dead, but it did become a zombie.

Also, if you were to look at it from a resource standpoint of course they supported their handheld till the end, they had always good handheld 3rd party support and 2 handhelds basically steal development resources away from consoles. All consoles are fads, not meant to last more than a couple years, the 360 fad and ps3 fad will be over in another 2. If consoles weren't doomed we'd still be playing new NES games, and its not even sure if that one awesome Retro City Rampage is coming out this year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:49:05 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 24, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1578 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »
Most of those reasons don't actually make sense.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
Most of those reasons don't actually make sense.

Eh, I think they're real issues with the Wii U and Nintendo in general, but I think in many cases they aren't as bad currently as the article makes them.  If the Wii U fails from the issues listed, the backlash would have to be much greater than we've seen so far and circumstances would have to play out in a very specific manner.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1580 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
1) Just Dance 3 is still selling.
2) You don't know that, how can it already be an issue? Nintendo will have to be price competitive, that should be a given.
3) Best one, but the difference between generations might be that small between Wii U and PS4/Xbox 720. I mean, if Wii U is better than the HD consoles, how much better could the newer ones be than Wii U?
4) Old franchises sell. Also, what are the announced Wii U titles from Nintendo? NSMBMii, Smash Bros and Pikmin 3? Not really a reliance.
5) The media is fickle. Nintendo still has time between now and whenever to generate good buzz.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 24, 2011, 11:30:58 PM »
It looks like AMD has 28nmm ready to go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlSNjBqb228

Chances of Wii U GPU being 28nm has just increased a little bit in my book.
Chances of a final GPU for a final Dev Kit being tapped out in the next few months is also a good bet too.
Which means new fresh news about Wii U in the next few months is almost certain.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the Wii U will be priced at $299.99. Back when the 3DS was retailing for $250 I thought that the Wii U could be $349.99 at retail launch, but the reception of the 3DS kind of woke Nintendo up to not over price their systems. Lastly, I just realized that Nintendo needs to realase some more information on the Wii U to generate some more hype. The best way would be to announce that the issue of streaming to the Umote has been fixed, or something similar. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:23 AM »
The problem with the 3DS wasn't the price in and of itself, it was that at that price Nintendo was selling it for $100 markup which was the problem. I personally wouldn't mind spending $349 or possibly even more on the Wii U, just as long as the hardware is actually worth that much. With the 3DS Nintendo got greedy and overcharged for what it was worth, but with the Wii U Nintendo should price it with as slim of a markup as possible, or even just break even on it. The competition sells their systems at a loss for crying out loud. Nintendo has so much money now that they could afford to sell the Wii U at a loss and then make up for it in software sales. I doubt they will do that, but they could.

But if Nintendo prices the Wii U at $349.99 then I would expect it to be made up of $329.99 worth of hardware at a minimum. If Nintendo prices the Wii U at $299.99 or less then they are not going to be using very powerful or advanced hardware and it might be like the Wii all over again. I'd rather they beef it up for the long haul, even if that means it costs more initially. They will have a year or two without any competition at all, so they can and should aim high.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:26:33 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 25, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Do you really think $50 is going to be the difference between powerful hardware and not powerful hardware?

Right now, Sony and Microsoft are charging out the ass for larger capacity hard drives  (which by today's standards aren't especially large) that happen to come with a PS3 or 360. Nintendo is only going to sell Wii U for over $299 if it costs them more than that to manufacture.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 25, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
Remember all those rumors about R* bringing GTA V to Wii U?

well R* is revealing GTA V 1 week from tomorrow.

http://www.rockstargames.com/Untitled-10.jpg

Does anyone think it will be more than a teaser and actually announce the platforms?
or will they just show some HD footage (Better than PS360 gfx that they can claim is from the PC version) and not reveal the platforms till sometime next year?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: October 25, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »
I can't imagine it being any more than a short teaser with no gameplay. If the game is being released for Wii U, Nintendo would be wise to request that Rockstar announce that.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 25, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
I want to see Red Dead Redemption 2 and L.A. Noire 2 also make it to the Wii U.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:58:03 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »
I want to see Red Dead Redemption 2 and L.A. Noire 2 also make it to the Wii U.

Given that Team Bondi no longer exists, I think it's going to be a while until an L.A. Noire 2 gets made.  Rockstar does hold the license to that game so it can still be done, but it's probably going to be a while.  Considering how much Rockstar is still supporting Red Dead Redemption with new content, I wouldn't be surprised to see that come to the next generation consoles, though.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: October 25, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
wow, that's actually pretty cool.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 26, 2011, 05:03:30 AM »
Reggie talks Wii U, 3DS & Zelda with GTTV tomorrow nite (Thurs. 27th) on SpikeTV
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-504-gt-tv/722993

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 26, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »
If past GTTV interviews with Reggie are any indication, I doubt we'll learn of anything that is truly exciting and surprising. At best, some cool 3DS news.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1593 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »
If he even mentions the Wii outside of Zelda and Kirby (if even that) I'll be shocked.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 26, 2011, 01:41:31 PM »
Here is an article about the huge hardware implication that GTA V could bring to the industry:

http://kotaku.com/5853129/the-huge-hardware-implications-for-grand-theft-auto-v-and-the-future-of-video-games

If the Wii U is more powerful that both the 360 and PS3 and is closer to PC in terms of power then could the Wii U version of GTA V be the definitive version if it were to be released onto the console?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 26, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »
REGTV--

glasses-free gaming : take a drink

a great holiday lineup : take a drink

brand new experiences not seen anywhere else : take a drink
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 26, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
REGTV--

glasses-free gaming : take a drink

a great holiday lineup : take a drink

brand new experiences not seen anywhere else : take a drink
If only I could remember what term he used before announcing Wii Music.  I think it was "Redefine Gaming"
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 26, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
Perhaps he will announce Xenoblade for a spring 2012 release in north America.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 26, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »
Perhaps he will announce Xenoblade for a spring 2012 release in north America.
On Wii U ;P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 26, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Reggie talks Wii U, 3DS & Zelda

In other words, Reggie talks big about future systems, but gives a big "F U" to the Wii.

is your sanity...