Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592704 times)

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1550 on: October 18, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »
"so that work is already done and all they have to do is copy and paste that work onto the Wii U."  Porting to a completely did set of hardware isn't all that easy if the middleware engine isn't up to par.  It took them 12 months to bring it to the PS3 and that's just one game--they would have to do double the work for two titles.

And your theory about catching up will also cause another problem--too many games at one time competing with one another.  That would actually hurt the sales because who's going buy 10+ games right at launch?  Porting games is fine but not when it's going be lost in the shuffle. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:21:39 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:42 AM »
Dude, seriously go play Mass Effect 2 as soon as possible because that game is just awesome.  I'm not a fan of the original Mass Effect either from a gameplay perspective, but Mass Effect 2 is so much more refined and entertaining in that regard.  And you'll definitely appreciate having played the original when you go through ME 2 and reap the narrative benefits (and XP and resource bonuses) of your previous experiences.

I can only say that I'm in no rush. I actually have access to a disc copy of Mass Effect 2 for PC so I could play it right now. However, there were choices I made in Mass Effect 1 that I don't quite like now and would like to play it again to redo somethings. The kicker to this is that I originally planned to wait for all three games to come out and then buy and play them all in a bundle. A US$5 Steam sale of Mass Effect 1 put a stop to that.

You didn't answer my question of "can't it be both?". The Wii U needs to catch up to the PS360, and the only way that can happen is by porting those missed games over. But it shouldn't just be that. New and upcoming games should also appear on the Wii U as well. It shouldn't just be one or the other, it should be both.

Ideally, it would be both. However, there is a limit of time, money, development hours, and other resources. It's not quite as simple as a zero sum game, but any resources spent to make a Mass Effect 2+3 for Wii U could be used in part to make a new Mass Effect that would be better tailored for the Wii U.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:45 AM »
but any resources spent to make a Mass Effect 2+3 for Wii U could be used in part to make a new Mass Effect that would be better tailored for the Wii U.

But what if this future Mass Effect game used the Mass Effect 3 engine? Then its not a matter of each game competing with one another for limited resources because they would both be sharing the work done since they are using the same engines.

And as for Bioware being too busy to port the game over, why does it have to be them that does it? Other studios handle ports of other companies games all the time. One upcoming example would be Treyarch doing the Wii port for MW3 even though its an Infinity Ward game. I can probably give you dozens of other examples. Bioware does all the creative work, but anyone can do the simple tasks of porting. You have to be a genius to make a brilliant piece of art, but any simpleton can pound a nail in a wall and hang that art. So let the scrubs do the porting work and let Bioware focus on making further Mass Effect titles.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 18, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »
But what if this future Mass Effect game used the Mass Effect 3 engine? Then its not a matter of each game competing with one another for limited resources because they would both be sharing the work done since they are using the same engines.

I think the companies who have used the various incarnations of the Unreal engine might disagree with you about there being all that less limited of resources (money, time, manpower) just because they were using an already-existing engine.  Yeah, it's not that easy, though it does allow projects to be quicker than if the team had to develop its own engine.

And as for Bioware being too busy to port the game over, why does it have to be them that does it? Other studios handle ports of other companies games all the time. One upcoming example would be Treyarch doing the Wii port for MW3 even though its an Infinity Ward game. I can probably give you dozens of other examples. Bioware does all the creative work, but anyone can do the simple tasks of porting. You have to be a genius to make a brilliant piece of art, but any simpleton can pound a nail in a wall and hang that art. So let the scrubs do the porting work and let Bioware focus on making further Mass Effect titles.

Ah, so you're ok with...say...Obsidian being the ones to make the "definitive versions" of these games that will help the Wii U "catch up" with the technologically-inferior HD platforms then?   ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:20:55 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 18, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »
Ah, so you're ok with...say...Obsidian being the ones to make the "definitive versions" of these games that will help the Wii U "catch up" with the technologically-inferior HD platforms then?   ;)

Hey :(
From what I've read about their work, they're great storytellers. They just really need someone else to help them on all of the technical sides of everything.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:19 AM »
Guys, from now on maybe we should start posting stuff about Wii U games in their own threads instead of here in this one. This thread is 63 pages long now, and its not like there is a lot of Wii stuff left to talk about so there is no reason everything should be posted in one thread. This is the "Nintendo Console Discussion" forum so Wii U threads belong here, but they don't need to be in all be in one single thread. Its time to spread things out.

Maybe this thread should continue on just for information regarding the console itself, but everything like the games and peripherals and whatnot can have their own threads. Back when this thread was created there wasn't much to discuss so having just one thread made sense, but now that more and more info is being revealed that probably doesn't make so much sense anymore.

That's just my 2 cents...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:00:16 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »
There has been almost no new news. All info is basically table scraps with no real info, pics, dates or anything, so no new thread is really needed at this point.

Do we really need a new thread everytime some dev says "Hey! Wii U seems cool, X game would work great on it.... but I have no specifics to share at this moment"?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 19, 2011, 01:10:50 AM »
I was thinking for the games which have been announced and confirmed to be in development. There may not be much to discuss at the moment, but having the threads up and running allows the info to be more organized and easier to find as opposed to searching through this one. And new info will trickle in, unless the game in question gets cancelled (heaven forbid). This is done now with Wii games, and it was done in the past with Gamecube games, so I don't see why the Wii U games should be treated any differently.

If a new game were to be announced for the Wii it would get its own thread. It wouldn't just be posted in a monolithic Wii thread. That might make sense early on, but eventually there's a time to move away from doing that.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:14:33 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »
If a new game was announced for Wii U with actual details of said game, then yes, it would and should get it's own thread. But just cause the game get's mentioned with a Wii U tag slapped on it for an eventual port somewhere down the line, yet has no specific details or screens shots, then no I don't think it really needs it's own thread since the game (as far as I'm concerned) doesn't actually exist yet and is far from confirmed to be a reality.

If something get's posted in here and you want to turn that into it's own thread that starts almost as poorly as this one did, then by all means have at it, but it's not necessary until you actually have something worth making a thread over.
A majority of the games we have heard about are gonna be very/slightly late and hopefully improved ports of games that PS360/PC gamers had been playing for months already. I don't think we need a thread for every game that gets mentioned as possibly having a Wii U version in the works unless your goal is to speculate on how that game could work (but I think we already have a thread for that too).

Now that that is out of the way...

Peter Moore speaks on Origin, Wii U, 3DS & Vita
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/blogs/screenplay/playing-moore-games-than-ever-20111018-1ltw8.html#ixzz1bCTWQtqy
Sydney Morning Herald: You recently reassured the market that you are fully onboard the Wii U with your key franchises. What are your developers finding most exciting about the Wii U?

Peter Moore: They're still working with the software development kits, Jason. And as always happens, Nintendo continues to deliver updates to the SDK, and we find cool and interesting things there. I think the broader element is the idea of a second screen, which is something that many of us do now. I don't know about you, but watching TV I find myself either sitting with my laptop doing emails or my iPad browsing the web while the TV is going on in front of me. I think I'm watching it, depending on what it is. Obviously if it's a sports event, then I'm giving it my full attention, but anything else and it's probably only getting 40 per cent of my attention and I'm pretending to my wife that I'm watching TV with her. But the second screen mentality, it's not only doing something different, but also every now and then you are watching TV and have a question and it's fascinating now to do enquiries and find out information about something that you are watching on the main screen using your second screen. I think the concept of a second screen that it being used in tandem and in parallel to what is going on the big screen is fascinating for us as gamers, we think that is a big deal. A lot of our games are built for calling plays or strategies that you can't see on the big screen.

Sydney Morning Herald: Have you been disappointed with the performance of the 3DS? What does Nintendo need to do?

Peter Moore: Well, to their credit I think they saw that they had a sell-through issue and they dropped their price. I think it's going to be an interesting test for them this Christmas, I think we're all hoping it will be a tremendous Christmas present. I think it is aimed at a younger consumer for the most part. We continue to look at it. We have FIFA coming out on it. We have Madden in the US on it. Like any device we wish it all the best and we will monitor it and watch the sell-throughs and if there are business opportunities to bring new content, different content, or bring some of our great brands there in the future on top of what we have already committed then we will certainly do that.

I really hope that blurb about the sports and play calling means that EA pushed extra hard for multiple uMote support from the start. Doesn't make sense to have to hide your play if you are playing by yourself... or online against someone else who has their own TV that you already can't see.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:30:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:06 AM »
The second screen shenanigans continue. Now you can watch TV and play a Wii U game at the same time. However, will people who are already comfortable with an iPad at their lap be interested in using the Wii U instead?

That brings up another thought about how many non-gaming applications the Wii U will have. The concept video had an internet browser mock up as well as internet video playback. Given the availability of internet browsers for current Nintendo systems, it's nearly assured that there will be an internet browser for the Wii U. However, could we see dedicated Wii U applications for Twitter and Facebook to better serve users of those services? Will there be audio applications to play back music files or stream internet radio? Nintendo seems to know that gaming systems are becoming more of an all-entertainment content provider in people's lives which is why their systems have slowly been gaining non-gaming software. I hope they step their game up in this regard for the occasional times when people don't feel like playing a game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: October 19, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
I'm a fan of Apple products and currently own 2, but I can't play new Zelda and Mario games on an iPad. Nintendo wins this battle and always will.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: October 19, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
iv always been a fan of Apple, but never bought any of their products. They are always massively over-priced. I don't have any magical device, and this idea that the world is post pc is bullshit, some people may think its 2005 for me, but whatever.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: October 19, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
One of the interesting things I think he mentioned was
Quote from: Peter Moore
I think the broader element is the idea of a second screen, which is something that many of us do now. I don't know about you, but watching TV I find myself either sitting with my laptop doing emails or my iPad browsing the web while the TV is going on in front of me. I think I'm watching it, depending on what it is. Obviously if it's a sports event, then I'm giving it my full attention, but anything else and it's probably only getting 40 per cent of my attention and I'm pretending to my wife that I'm watching TV with her.

This is so true for me too. I am constantly surfing the internet when something that doesn't fully 110% interest me is on. My girl will want me to watch something with her and I will agree, but only because I will only be half-watching it, and she knows it. If the Wii U can insert itself into that equation in place of my mouse&keyboard, laptop and/or cellphone, then they are definitely onto something. Something more engaging than the 3DS that sits on my dresser collecting dust over there.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 20, 2011, 08:47:12 AM »
iv always been a fan of Apple, but never bought any of their products. They are always massively over-priced. I don't have any magical device, and this idea that the world is post pc is bullshit, some people may think its 2005 for me, but whatever.
The only Apple product that I find egregiously overpriced is the MacBook Pro which, ironically, is one of the Apple products that I own. It's a good computer, the build quality like all Apple products is top notch, and the battery life is the best by far in any notebook. However, I tend to discourage people from buying a MBP due to the price (I have a 15" MBP). The next computer I buy will probably be an iMac which I find fair. They're all expensive but, for the most part, I think the prices are fair. Part of the reason Apple products are so expensive is because Apple doesn't put any 3rd party bloatware to cut costs. Sure, it gets passed to the consumer but if you're buying an Apple product, you already know that. I'm an Apple fan but I'm not gullible enough to fall for their marketing. I know Windows and Android can do pretty much everything I can and want to do in Apple's ecosystem but I like their products. And as long as these things do what I need them to do and do them efficiently and effectively, I see no reason to look elsewhere.

That leads me back to Nintendo. I still play Nintendo games because the company provides me with the service I'm paying the company to provide and until it doesn't, I'm going to keep giving Nintendo my money. Even though I'm an Apple fan, I wouldn't buy an iPad when it doesn't and can't do what the Wii U can do even if the iPad can do so many other things.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:52:32 AM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 20, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
Well that's the thing when comparing Nintendo to Apple, Nintendo usually has a low price point, and aside from this last generation it has been known for having the top technology in its field. But if you're looking at pricing we have to acknowledge the fact that these products are mass produced in factories in China and the profit margin is grossly inflated compared to the cost of manufacture. Nintendo's profit margin is much lower. If Nintendo sold the same $2000 Apple product it would be profitable and still retail at about $400. That was the thing that I felt always held Apple back Pre-Steve return days, was that if they just sold their products cheaper they could get some more market share and make more money, luckily they found a separate goldmine in mp3 players and tablet computers, and because of their newness they could reasonably get away with charging whatever they wanted. Iv never owned an Apple product, but I used them extensively in school and I see their superiority. However, its sort of a range of superiority that I don't see justifies their price. However, it is always good for the brand to have Premium status. That is their user base.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 21, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/31653/lego-city-stories-wii-u-gameplay-is-awesome/

LEGO City Stories is absolutely awesome. That's the word from TT Games director Arthur Parsons who has been telling Official Nintendo Magazine more about the forthcoming Wii U game.

Parsons, who recently finished work on LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, isn't working on the game himself but from what he's seen, he's excited about it.

In the video below he explains how you'll be running around catching bad guys and doing jumps and stunts. He also reveals that there are loads of vehicles and cool characters in the game. Take a look...
video at the link

It has some screenshots of the game from E3 and the screens really do look very impressive... assuming they weren't just renders. I look forward to seeing more on this game.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:45:37 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
Would it be a good idea for Nintendo to make the touchscreen on the Wii U controller stereoscopic 3D? Then again this would poison the water for the 3DS, but it would be nice to have those big budgeted gae titles on the Umote screen in the same manner as the ones for 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 23, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
No, it wouldn't be a good idea. Just like all your other ideas aren't good ideas.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 23, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
Then again this would poison the water for the 3DS,

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
I'm not sure if I want a Wii U seeing how NOA and Reggie have pulled the plug on the Wii and abandoned it to die a slow agonizing death. How can we be assured the Wii U won't share a similar fate? What NOA needs right now is a regime change. We need a Nintendo Spring.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
on Kytim

No, it wouldn't be a good idea. Just like all your other ideas aren't good ideas.

haha, at least it isn't me. I know better to only speculate when they haven't announced ****.

I'm not sure if I want a Wii U seeing how NOA and Reggie have pulled the plug on the Wii and abandoned it to die a slow agonizing death. How can we be assured the Wii U won't share a similar fate? What NOA needs right now is a regime change. We need a Nintendo Spring.

expect Nintendo to mercilessly kill all of its systems before they properly end their lifespan. They do it, its nothing new since n64. They don't beat a dead horse like Sony does. In fact Sony will take that to new levels i'm sure. But i bet you have like 30 games for Wii or something and they are 80% A-B quality as far as Wii games go.
I think gamers expect too much now a days honestly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 24, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Perm's right: this is the same thing that happened with the N64 and the GameCube, so you should probably assume that the same will happen with the Wii U until proven otherwise.

Personally, despite all this, I don't regret for a second buying a Wii at launch. I've had some great experiences with the system over the years, and I'd rather remember it that way than bitch and moan about Nintendo not releasing incredibly niche games toward the end. Come on people, I'm staff, which means I'm supposed to be the one hating on Nintendo, not you.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: October 24, 2011, 06:14:36 PM »
Agreed. I'll always remember the happiness she brought to millions of lunch-lady-armed, tennis-loving elderly women (and myself), rather than as the heaving, Terminator 2 Dyson death scene we have now.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: October 24, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
Perm's right: this is the same thing that happened with the N64 and the GameCube, so you should probably assume that the same will happen with the Wii U until proven otherwise.

With the N64 and Gamecube I assumed it was just because the systems were not as successful as Nintendo would have liked so Nintendo abandoned them as they became irrelevant with the general public.  Once you have the stigma of being a "failed" console, interest is just going to decrease so why put tons of effort into a "doomed" product you're going to replace anyway.  In theory the Wii shouldn't be like that but it's final year is even worse than the other two.  But, again, there's a reason for it.  It's a fad and the fad is done.

What if Nintendo had a system that was incredibly successful with all audiences (not just kids or casuals), had healthy third party support and remained popular right up to the release of its successor?  I don't think they would ditch it a year out or at the very least I think that would be a really stupid move.  The Sony style overkill is pretty dumb and borderline delusional but the PS1 remained popular right up to the PS2 launch and the PS2 remained popular right up to the PS3 launch.  These were not systems that faded out over time.  They were incredibly popular and successful right until the "real" end (real end being when the successor is released; everyone deep down knows that).

Nintendo did not do that with the GBC, GBA or DS.  Those were not "failed" systems so they stuck with them until the end.  If they had the sort of success and enduring popularity with their consoles that they had with their handhelds I don't think they would abandon those in the last year.  They didn't do that with the NES and SNES which were successul in the same way those handhelds were.

If the Wii U ends the same as the N64, GC and Wii then the Wii U flopped.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: October 24, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

What I meant to say was could Nintendo add a stereoscopic 3D screen to the Umote without hurting the 3DS?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.