Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592703 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1475 on: October 13, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »
I don't really trust Nintendo to "make it work." They tried that and failed miserably. I can see Nintendo asking EA to take Origin and give it strange and unnecessary restrictions making it better than what's on the Wii but worse than it has to be.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 13, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »
What kind of first and third party titles can expect to be launched with the Wii U?

My magic 8 ball tells me to expect something featuring Mario.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 13, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
You're Magic 8 Ball is wrong. Why would Nintendo have a Mario game available at launch? They didn't have a Mario game at launch the past 2 console generations. And it's not like Mario sells systems. Mario games a niche titles, small potatoes. Nintendo needs to launch big names like Steel Diver U or Nintendogs + Cats + Birds.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 13, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
Its impossible for Nintendo to even have any major Mario titles ready for the Wii U in 2012.  For the platformers, both studios wont be able to have anything ready.  Tokyo EAD has just finished Mario 3D Land and even said at E3 that they hadnt even been shown the Wii U yet, so they wont have anything ready until at least 2014.  EAD 4 who did NSMB is working on pikmin 3 which Miyamoto said at E3 has been moved to the Wii U, so that game could realisticly be a launch title though, but no 2D Mario since an HD pikmin is probably taking up all of that studios resources at the moment.  When we look at the biggest spinoff series, Mario Kart, EAD 1 is finishing Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS, so they wont have a Mario Kart for the Wii U ready until at least 2014.

The most realistic title to expect to be the Wii U flagship titles at launch would be a new Wii Sports and a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns.  The last Wii Sports was released in 2009, so thats a no brainer for the Wii U launch since that team has had lots of time.  For Donkey Kong, since DKCR was a big hit, it wouldnt be that hard to believe Nintendo had Retro start working on a sequel right away for the Wii U.  The unlockable artwork in the game also showed that Retro had a lot of ideas left over, so it wouldnt be that hard to get a sequel put together in about 2 years either.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
Even though I knew DKCR was pretty much a gamble to see if DK was still wildly popular and if it was make another one, I was hoping Retro would be given the creative freedom to look at the Wii U with all of it's accessories and come up with something genius.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 13, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
Do you really think it's going to take 3 years to release Mario Kart 8?

Additionally, that's all assuming each of those teams are the ones working on the specific titles you mentioned. They probably are but do we know for sure? And for all we know, Retro Studios could be working on Super Mario Universe. That would make sense if Nintendo really wanted a Mario game at launch.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
Wow...Retro working on Mario? That'd could be even cooler than if they were working on Zelda.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 13, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Here are the major first party titles that I forsee in my magic 8 ball for the Wii U launch:

Starfox Universe or Armada developed by Retro Studios.
F-Zero Universe developed by Next Level Games or Monster Studios (to satisfy the console Mario Kart fanatics).
Excitebike or Pilot Wings Wii U.
Pikmin 3 for holiday 2012 launch.
Possibly a Wii Sports title of some kind, Being that the Wii U will release in the winter of 2012 it could be a winter sports edition of the series.
Several HD remakes of Windwaker, Skyward Sword and possible the Mario Galaxy series.
If there is a Super Mario game, it would most like be an HD version of Galaxy 3.

Third party lauch titles:

Compilations of game series that have already been launched on the other HD systems, but they take advanatge of the Umote and better Wii U hardware.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 13, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
Slow down there, Miss Cleo. These are launch titles? That's just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:52:51 PM by Adrock »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
What else is there that Nintendo could pull out in time for launch?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: October 13, 2011, 05:15:58 PM »
I wonder what the pack-in title will be. Its possible they won't include a pack in, but that strategy worked well for the Wii so I'm sure they will. It will be something similar to Wii Sports probably.
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
I wouldn't count on Steam on Wii U. Nintendo is probably using EA's Origin or having EA develop something similar/Origin based. That is, unless Nintendo tries to build their online service from scratch by itself but it doesn't sound like that's the direction it's moving in.

Given the wording on Nintendo's approach to online services for the Wii U, I got the impression that Steam being on it isn't out of the question. It depends on Valve making the development effort for whatever they want for the Wii U (separate storefront, community services, Steam Play) and on Nintendo to accommodate Valve's plans. Steam having it's own digital store separate from an assumed Wii U eShop is the most improbable event. I can see Steam community and Steam Play coming with Valve games on the Wii U. That is unless Nintendo does the ridiculous and restricts or disallows how a company introduces their own online functionality and sells their product.

I wonder what the pack-in title will be. Its possible they won't include a pack in, but that strategy worked well for the Wii so I'm sure they will. It will be something similar to Wii Sports probably.

I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't pre-load completed/refined versions of the E3 2011 tech demos on to the final system. That will give a taste of the possibilities the system offers and allow an attractive "comes with some free games" bullet point to be advertised.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:20:37 PM by Enner »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
How about nothing else? At best, Nintendo will have 3 launch titles, most likely 2. There's no way Nintendo is launching 4-5 brand new games and 4 remakes. Nintendo couldn't even get Ocarina of Time 3D out for the 3DS launch and you somehow think they're getting for out. Oh kytim, you so crazeh...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
Starfox, F-Zero and Pikmen could easily be Wii U launch titles because we have not seen new console versions of these titles in about half a decade or more and new iterations of the games would benefit the most by being on a system with poweful specs to enhance the quality of their gameplay. t also makes the mos ince these game could be under developement since a little before this year's E3.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 13, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »
I figure Nintendo's launch lineup will involve some form of a re-release and/or some sort of lazy recycle job like how Pilotwings 3DS reuses elements from Wii Sports Resort.  Probably some glorified tech demo will be in there as well.  Or maybe something quick to churn out like a WarioWare or Mario Party title.  Nintendo launch lineups have been incredibly half-assed since the DS.  Though maybe they'll learn from the 3DS and try harder this time.

What I would like to see is some amazing ambitious title that inspired the whole concept of the tablet controller in the first place.  This game does not exist or they would have released it on the DS years ago.  I'll settle for Nintendo going all out in their first "HD" game and showing Sony and MS how it's done.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 13, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
The absence of something doesn't automatically point to its reemergence. I think Pikmin is a shoe-in for launch because there was talk of it appearing on the Wii for years before Miyamoto pointed toward it coming out on Wii U. Considering Nintendo dropped the ball completely with the 3DS launch, Nintendo needs to have a game that can sell consoles to a wide audience. Pikmin has its following but Pikmin isn't going to hack it. Mario will. If Nintendo is smart, Wii U WILL have a brand new Mario title out at launch. Nintendo really can't afford to **** up this launch.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
The Wii U's launch lineup won't be a problem. Its what the lineup is 3+ years into its life cycle is that we need to worry about. Will it be like the last 3 Nintendo systems where the last years are drought ridden? That's what I'm worried about.
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 13, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
Here's the thing I see; Nintendo is doing everything they can to attract 3rd parties, what it's going to come down to is if Nintendo gamers respond to 3rd party efforts. If they can't get a multi-platform game to sell well on the WiiU why would then should they try to sell an exclusive on it?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »
Considering Nintendo dropped the ball completely with the 3DS launch, Nintendo needs to have a game that can sell consoles to a wide audience. Pikmin has its following but Pikmin isn't going to hack it. Mario will. If Nintendo is smart, Wii U WILL have a brand new Mario title out at launch. Nintendo really can't afford to **** up this launch.

The thing is, a new Mario platformer is impossible for a 2012 launch.  This is why a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns is the most likely launch title for the Wii U.  Wii Sports for the Wii U will do fine in appealing to the more casual side of their audience, but Nintendo knows they'll need something to appeal to their traditional audience as well.  The traditional Nintendo series that were bigger then Donkey Kong on the Wii were Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Smash Bros, 3D Mario and 3D Zelda.  Right now, the people behind each of those series has either just finished their recent game, or currently working on something else and won't be able to have anything ready for a 2012 Wii U launch.

This is why a sequel to DCKR is realistically the biggest traditional title with lots of appeal that Nintendo could have out for a 2012 launch.  If you read about the development of DCKR, even though development started in 2008, the majority of the game wasn't made until 2010 when they finally got a coherent vision on what they wanted to do.  So if they were able to make something like DCKR in about a year when they finally realized what they wanted to do, making an HD sequel in less then 2 years is easily possible.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »
At E3 2012 we wil get possibly gameplay footage Super Smash Brothers 3DS and a high definition trailer of SSB Wii U that showcase all of Nintendo's IPs in HD such as Link and Mario.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 14, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »
At E3 2012 we wil get possibly gameplay footage Super Smash Brothers 3DS and a high definition trailer of SSB Wii U that showcase all of Nintendo's IPs in HD such as Link and Mario.

That is an impossibility given that Sakurai hasn't even started pre-production on any version of the next Smash Bros. yet, and won't until Kid Icarus Uprising is out the door.  Even if Kid Icarus shipped at the beginning of the year next year, 4-5 months is barely enough time to get out of pre-production on a game like this, let alone have a version with presentable gameplay that would serve well in marketing by E3.  It's just not going to happen.  We could very well see a CG trailer showing various characters in mock battle (based on early character picks made in pre-production), but there isn't a chance in hell of getting a real gameplay trailer by next year's E3.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:24:12 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: October 14, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
The thing is, a new Mario platformer is impossible for a 2012 launch.
Except that it's not.

You're assuming a lot of things, namely what each of Nintendo's development teams are working on. According to wikipedia, Tokyo EAD has 2 teams. Group 2, led by Yoshiaki Koizumi, developed Super Mario Galaxy 2 and is currently handling Super Mario 3D Land . Group 1, led by Takao Shimizu, hasn't been credited with a major title since Super Mario Galaxy (having previously worked on Donkey Kong Jungle Beat). That's 4 whole years without a released game. It's pretty hard to believe that they've been doing nothing in all that time except some application for DS. I'm not saying this is a definite but if we're talking an unannounced Mario game for the Wii U launch, some very telling signs point to Group 1.

For all we know, Retro Studios could be working on a Mario game. They probably aren't, but that's not the point. You're assuming that a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns is the only thing Retro Studios could conceivably be working on which is like assuming that after Metroid Prime 3 (or Trilogy if you want to count that), they must have been working on another Metroid game and we all know that didn't happen. No one knows what Retro Studios is working on and I doubt anyone outside of Nintendo will until a few months before it's released. Who would have thought that a DK game was being developed by Retro Studios and not the Jungle Beat team? Retro Studios could be working on something entirely different, like a first person shooter. Point being, it's not a safe bet to assume that these teams are definitely working on specific titles unless otherwise specified.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »

That is an impossibility given that Sakamoto hasn't even started pre-production on any version of the next Smash Bros. yet, and won't until Kid Icarus Uprising is out the door.  Even if Kid Icarus shipped at the beginning of the year next year, 4-5 months is barely enough time to get out of pre-production on a game like this, let alone have a version with presentable gameplay that would serve well in marketing by E3.  It's just not going to happen.  We could very well see a CG trailer showing various characters in mock battle (based on early character picks made in pre-production), but there isn't a chance in hell of getting a real gameplay trailer by next year's E3.

The template for SSB 3DS is already done with Brawl and Melee, so all Nintendo would have to do is retool those engines with new features and characters and have a simple gameplay footage in several monsths. However, the Wii U version will have to be built from scratch and the CG video I was refering to would be similar to the Zelda Wii U trailer back at E3 this year.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 14, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »
Even if they were doing it that way, which is a big assumption, I still don't think they have the time to get anything new worth showing out in time for E3. If we see anything for either of them, it will be CG.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 14, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »
The template for SSB 3DS is already done with Brawl and Melee, so all Nintendo would have to do is retool those engines with new features and characters and have a simple gameplay footage in several monsths. However, the Wii U version will have to be built from scratch and the CG video I was refering to would be similar to the Zelda Wii U trailer back at E3 this year.

Once again, Sakurai has said that no work on either version will start until Kid Icarus is done, and the plan is for both versions to go into production simultaneously.  I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wanted to try connectivity between the two versions, or even online play between owners of different versions.

The "template" for Smash Bros. is nowhere near done.  Sure, they know generally what kind of game they're going to make based on previous incarnations, but that's only a first step to creating a Game Design Document.  And somehow I get the impression you have no idea how much time; effort; and manpower goes into creating one of those, and that work on the game does not start until this document exists.  These documents can take months to make, and then there's modeling the characters; the stages; the items; the specials; in-game physics; collision; never-ending bug testing; etc. 

And all of that is assuming that everything is going according to plan, which is rare with game development.  Point is, there's too much work for anything beyond pre-production to be show-able at E3 next year.  Expect a CG or teaser trailer using pre-production artwork and legacy footage from Brawl and Melee.

And, incidentally, you don't want to see what a game looks like in its first few months of in-game assets.  You really don't.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:22:36 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.