Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592763 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1450 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
Ian's right. When all the 3rd party games that have been promised for Wii U come out, the system will be months to a year before release (especially Arkham Asylum 2) and have absolutely zero mindshare. When gamers buy these games, they won't be thinking about the option of waiting a couple of months to get a potentially better version.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 12, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »
The Wii scared every core gamer away and NOA has spent the last year completely poisoning the waters.  And the casuals?  Gone.  They own iPhones now and play Angry Birds.

Only none of this is true.  Have you not seen the sales of Just Dance on the Wii in the last year and the legs it's had, that shows the casual audience still owns Nintendo systems.  If Nintendo was to release an all new Wii Sports game for the Wii U launch it would still sell a guaranteed 10 million copies at the very least.

And on the issues of core gamers, Mario Galaxy 2 sold over 6 million copies and DKCR sold over 5 million copies, showing that core gamers haven't been scared away either.  Unless your talking about the dudebro shooting crowd that make up the majority of the 360/PS3 that Nintendo has never had as part of their audience to begin with.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1452 on: October 12, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
Well, it's not like everyone sold their Wiis. Gamers still buy Nintendo games. The problem is that core gamers still went out and bought PS3s and 360s to play 3rd party games.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
Pikmin 3 has to be coming out soon. I really hope it is ready for launch because that would cover the state side exclusive really well.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 12, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Pikmin 3 has to be coming out soon. I really hope it is ready for launch because that would cover the state side exclusive really well.
Pikmin 3 should be launch but, that would only really cover the people who would eventually be buying the system anyways.  Nintendo fans.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: October 12, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »
Never underestimate the power of a well sold gimmick.

When EA comes out and pimp's the Privacy Play feature where both players have their own screens where they can draw plays on the fly for maximum competitive advantage, the sports crowd will buy in (*assuming PS4/720 don't copy or do something really similar).

When Call of Duty 6: Future Warfare comes out and Activision pimps the Field Commander Control setup with live carpet bombing runs and on-call bunker buster & additional troop drops that improve that competitive edge, The dude-bros will buy in(*).

When Burnout/NFS come out and have the rearview, HUD, Radio controls, etc etc. mixed right in with the optional motion control steering wheel feature.
Or the Combat racer that has the touchscreen weapon selection and other such controls.
The racing fanatics will buy in.

p.s. I was joking about "they will not complain". They always complain. It may not be about that, but it will be about something. But if we are getting GOTY editions with all the extras I mentioned, no one will really be complaining about the price that much, as it would launch for the same price on the other consoles too.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1456 on: October 12, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
Hasn't Sony already done the rearview racing thing with the PSP? In fact, most of these things can with the Vita, so Sony can actually match Nintendo out of the gate with this one.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 12, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
Hasn't Sony already done the rearview racing thing with the PSP? In fact, most of these things can with the Vita, so Sony can actually match Nintendo out of the gate with this one.
Technically Microsoft allows you to do the same thing with a Phone 7 phone but nothing has taken advantage of it yet but, there has been demos.

Though how many people already had GBA's and the GCN - GBA connectivity went no where.  Needing non-default hardware rarely works going mainstream.

Technically the PS3 can already do most of this with the PSP.
Technically the Wii could do this with the DS/3DS as well.

Vita is just to expensive for this type of use (Anything over a controller cost would be too much.)  Phone 7 has an advantage because you can get those as a free phone at the moment.  I think Nintendo has a good idea here with a lot of Quality of Life improvement potential.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 12, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
So the Wii U launches and it has Battlefield 3 and you want it so... you buy it for the Xbox 360 you already own.  Why would you buy a Wii U for it?

Apparently you missed the part about the Wii U version being superior and having a Commander mode thing via the tablet which the other versions of the game will not have.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
In Adrock World, There is no Marriage and everyone is a pregnant Female wearing a Human skin coat which must be where the Males went.
http://youtu.be/C8ICj1MlMqQ

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 12, 2011, 07:04:16 PM »
In Adrock World, There is no Marriage and everyone is a pregnant Female wearing a Human skin coat which must be where the Males went.
http://youtu.be/C8ICj1MlMqQ
I was sort of hoping you found a video of that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: October 12, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
So the Wii U launches and it has Battlefield 3 and you want it so... you buy it for the Xbox 360 you already own.  Why would you buy a Wii U for it?

Apparently you missed the part about the Wii U version being superior and having a Commander mode thing via the tablet which the other versions of the game will not have.

Would you buy a Wii U just to play a slightly better version of a game you could get on a system you already own?  You need something else to really tip the scales.  Better Battlefield 3 might factor into your decision but it's not enough.

Well it probably would be enough for all the Cube owners who bought a Wii for mirrored Twilight Princess with shittier controls.  But I'm sure that group will buy the Wii U on day one no matter what.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 12, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
I think the point is people would buy Wii U for (probably) a 1st party game and if Battlefield 3 is available and the Wii U version is the best version, they'd get it on Wii U even though they could get it on whichever other console they also own already.

And I'm going to be honest with you, I found the Wii version of Twilight Princess to be the better of the 2. And yes, I've played both versions. Wii remote aiming for the bow and arrow was the difference maker. It's literally along the same lines as the difference between playing Metal Gear Solid without first person aiming and Metal Gear Solid 2 which had first person aiming.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:41 PM »
Would you buy a Wii U just to play a slightly better version of a game you could get on a system you already own?  You need something else to really tip the scales.  Better Battlefield 3 might factor into your decision but it's not enough.

If it were just that one game? Probably not, but its not just that one game. 3rd party multiplatform game announcements are trickling in and there are other ones like Darksiders II. Now, I'm sure not every single Wii U game will be superior to the PS360 versions, but a lot of them will be, and in the future that's going to be even more true because the first Wii U games probably won't make full use of all the system's capabilities but games released later on probably will.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 13, 2011, 04:12:21 AM »
It is possible next e3 we'll see a lot of games being shown off. That should adjust the whole scene. It is possible that there will be some top content from Nintendo, but third parties should have some good titles to show given the power of the system. Just by being the competitor with the best selling previous system, good hardware, and guaranteed strong first party content this puts Nintendo in a good position. The Wii U has more going for it than not going for it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:42 AM »
Depends on how much MS or Sony shows at E3--the graphical advantage will be just a short-term fix (2 years out of 5-6 years life span).  So really Nintendo's advantage is going be the two-year headstart and the price point.  Or course that's going with the assumations that MS and Sony will be developing more powerful systems.

Next, even if the version is better doesn't mean much to overall sales--MS already has BF/COD players and you Can't crossplay across platforms meaning there's going millions of players who wish to stay with a certain brand because their friends are already on that said system. 

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 13, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
The brilliance of Nintendo's move is subtle but effective. Nintendo Wii U hardware maybe an integral bump from the PS3 and 360, but coupled with it's hardware, it is enough to excite developers. No matter how long Nintendo's head start is, they are guaranteed to have the best version of any core multi-platform game other than the PC. In other words, Madden will look and play the best on Wii U.

Now, when Sony and Microsoft release their respective systems, they have two choices: make a high-end system that is leap ahead of the Wii U or make a system that is an integral step above the Wii U. If they go for the "leap-ahead" option, they are looking at a 6 year generation. Nintendo's Wii U's generation is most likely 4 or 5. So let's do the math: if the Wii U has a two year head start and their console last five years, that means they can leap frog Sony and Microsoft 3 years into their 6 year cycle. If they only have a one year head start, they can leap frog Sony and Microsoft 4 years into their 6 year cycle.

Now if Sony and Microsoft decide to go with an integral step and Sony and Microsoft's console cycle last 4 or 5 years, Nintendo can still leap frog them next cycle. Also, if it is an integral step rather than a leap, then Nintendo has nothing to worry about. Yes their console will be the weakest, but other than better graphics/sound and maybe more things on screen, nothing on those systems can't be slightly down-graded for Nintendo's console. Also, Nintendo has an awesome gimmick that developers will get use to having.

So it's a win-win. All Nintendo has to do is price it right and bring heavy hitting First party software. I believed they learned their lesson with the 3DS on both those issues.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:57:20 PM by Stogi »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
What kind of first and third party titles can expect to be launched with the Wii U?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:06 PM »
Anyone see this? Photo realistic games engine by Square Enix?

http://games.ign.com/articles/119/1199800p1.html

If this can be done on the consoles now, how much more can the next gen systems produce visually?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
Ms. Pac-Man and Hydro Thunder. That's all anyone ever needs.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
For Third Parties, I'm guessing that there will be few exclusives. Most games will be ports with added content. A few like Ubisoft may try to take advantage of a new system launch and release some exclusives.

As for First Party titles, we already have confirmation on DQX. That's a huge plus. I expect Pikmin 3 to be ready at launch. Also, once again, Nintendo might make a game compilation that shows the benefits of having a screen on your controller.

Other than that, I'm hoping to be surprised this E3.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Nintendo would be smart to partner with Valve and allow Steam intergration onto the Wii U. Nintendo could also contract Valve to build Nintendo an online system that would better attract third parties and consumers and at the same time offer a better online experience than its compeititors. Also, to me it would seems like a good idea for Nintendo reformat the Wii Shop channel into something similar to Steam.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 13, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
I wouldn't count on Steam on Wii U. Nintendo is probably using EA's Origin or having EA develop something similar/Origin based. That is, unless Nintendo tries to build their online service from scratch by itself but it doesn't sound like that's the direction it's moving in.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 13, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
Honestly it sounds like Nintendo is saying to third parties "Bring whatever online system you like, we'll make it work."

So there maybe one profile, but it'll hook up to EA Origin, Activision's online system, etc. etc.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 13, 2011, 02:49:13 PM »
A one size fits all online system similar to friend codes but without the hassle?