Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592826 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1400 on: October 07, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
Wait? So, it means jack **** to have their support but if you don't have their support, you're fucked? What the hell does that even mean? Contradictory statement is contradictory.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 07, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
It means nothing till it means something, and then... it of course has meaning or something.

^the above statement makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
Wait? So, it means jack **** to have their support but if you don't have their support, you're fucked? What the hell does that even mean? Contradictory statement is contradictory.

What I mean is that their support is unexceptional.  It's normal to have EA, Activision or Ubisoft support.  To not have their support is the exception, and it's a bad exception.

It's nothing to celebrate but not having it would be reason to worry.  Being excited about it would be like bragging about having two arms.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »
Their "support" for the Wii consisted of "Rabbids Casual Dance" and things of that nature, while the PS360 got the cream of their crop.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »

What I mean is that their support is unexceptional.  It's normal to have EA, Activision or Ubisoft support.  To not have their support is the exception, and it's a bad exception.

It's nothing to celebrate but not having it would be reason to worry.  Being excited about it would be like bragging about having two arms.
Thanks for reminding me.

Who has two thumbs and the Arms to point them at himself?
This Guy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1405 on: October 07, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
The only thing that matters is getting quality support. EA supported the Wii and look where we are with that.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
If Wii U is made the lead platform for EA's development efforts, so the PS360 crowd would be the ones playing the downgraded (even if to a much lesser extent than with Wii) ports, that would probably be a big deal.  That could happen depending on what Moore sees on his trip, if the specs are close to being finalized and they're a big enough jump beyond the other consoles to justify it.  If it worked out to Wii U having the premiere edition of the next Madden at launch, that would be a big deal.

But it's all up in the air right now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: October 07, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
If Wii U is made the lead platform for EA's development efforts, so the PS360 crowd would be the ones playing the downgraded (even if to a much lesser extent than with Wii) ports, that would probably be a big deal.  That could happen depending on what Moore sees on his trip, if the specs are close to being finalized and they're a big enough jump beyond the other consoles to justify it.  If it worked out to Wii U having the premiere edition of the next Madden at launch, that would be a big deal.

But it's all up in the air right now.

But the Wii U would only hold that advantage for 6 months to a year tops. We were reading rumors about Microsoft's next console around the same time as the Wii U rumors started popping up, so it can't be much further off. The PS4 is the only thing we haven't heard anything about yet, but its safe bet Sony is working on that and it won't be too far off either. But the next xbox is definitely not far off. It probably won't blow the Wii U out of the water in terms of specs, but it will put an end to it being the premiere system.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: October 07, 2011, 08:35:14 PM »
There has been rumors about PS4 too. Check the general gaming section.

Xbox720 was rumored to be ready for production and/or release end of this year.
PS4 was rumored to be a PS3.5 ready to go in 2013 after rumors of a real PS4 being scrapped sometime last year.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:38:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: October 08, 2011, 12:50:13 AM »
The Wii U isn't likely to be the lead platform anytime soon for any 3rd multi-platform party title, just like the PS3 wasn't the lead platform on 360/PS3 titles most of the time except for a handful of multi-platform titles.  The lead platform tends to be either whatever the developer is most comfortable working on or the one that will likely have the most sales.  This generation, that was the Xbox 360.  When the Wii U releases, the lead platform will likely remain the 360 until Microsoft and Sony's new consoles release, especially because it's so relatively easy to simply up the texture resolution and whatnot for the Wii U version while keeping the lower spec-ed 360 and PS3 as the baseline.  Then the lead platform will shift to whatever new platform meets the criteria I've already listed.

Digital download titles would be a different story, but the only way the Wii U would be a "lead platform" there would be if they were timed exclusives or were designed to use the Wii U tablet's unique features.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:52:35 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: October 08, 2011, 06:11:49 AM »
The only thing that matters is getting quality support. EA supported the Wii and look where we are with that.

Well, the Wii got Boom Blox and Boom Blox Bash Party. I hear those are good.
Also there was EA Active.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 08, 2011, 07:26:36 AM »
None of those games are system sellers or even core titles. In addition to those titles, Nintendo needs EA's full support (i.e. anything that comes out on other PS3/360) in order to not look like the Sesame Street console again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 08, 2011, 11:08:43 AM »
especially because it's so relatively easy to simply up the texture resolution and whatnot for the Wii U version while keeping the lower spec-ed 360 and PS3 as the baseline.

By that same logic, if its "easy to simply up the texture resolution and whatnot for not the Wii U" then shouldn't it be equally true the other way around? Would it be any more difficult to "down the texture resolution and whatnot" for the PS360 than it is to up it for the Wii U from the PS360?

Upping textures might be simple, but wouldn't it look like ****? I don't see how something can be at its full potential on the Wii U when it was originally designed for last gen systems. So logically stuff should be designed for whatever the most powerful system is and then trickled down to whatever it goes to from there.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
especially because it's so relatively easy to simply up the texture resolution and whatnot for the Wii U version while keeping the lower spec-ed 360 and PS3 as the baseline.

By that same logic, if its "easy to simply up the texture resolution and whatnot for not the Wii U" then shouldn't it be equally true the other way around? Would it be any more difficult to "down the texture resolution and whatnot" for the PS360 than it is to up it for the Wii U from the PS360?

Because right now the less powerful HD  console is the one that sells, and you make your game oriented around the console that sells.  If developers were only interested in developing for the most powerful device and then porting their way down, the PC would be the lead platform for every game this generation (or at least the PS3).  Instead, it has been the 360, which is not that difficult to port to PS3.  Developers will try to seek out a median device from which porting is the easiest.  Chances are good that they'll stick with the 360 until they have more than one device next generation with similar specs, or if the Wii U becomes just that popular that it becomes the best-selling software platform (which I find unlikely).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 10, 2011, 11:30:43 AM »
Team Ninja on Wii U.

We’re still finding out what the hardware can do and how to work with the hardware itself [...] I can tell you that the team being what it is is definitely interested in pushing the hardware as hard as it can. With 3DS, when we brought out Dead or Alive: Dimensions, that was one of the best looking 3DS games out there.

And we really wanted to use whatever hardware we were on, we want to use to its full potential and really push that. Not just in spec, but the features that make that hardware unique. So for right now with Wii U, we’re just starting to know what Wii U is and how we can make it fun.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16408
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Battlefield Wii U
« Reply #1415 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Battlefield coming to Wii U
Could be returning to it's roots.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/321798/previews/battlefield-3-returning-to-its-roots-on-wii-u/
EA - have confirmed the next Battlefield will make its appearance on Wii U.

But the most interesting aspects of a Wii U Battlefield 3 are the elements that could return from earlier in the series' lifespan. EA president Frank Gibeau has mentioned that the touch-screen controller would allow for a 'commander mode', last seen in Battlefield 2.

This set one player as a leader, letting them dictate where on the map their squad should move next. The Wii U controller would allow a player to assume this role and draw little arrows all over the map while still controlling their soldier - previously Battlefield 2 players had to lock themselves in little cubby holes to do their commanding.

Even on a smaller scale, the potential for squad communication is greatly increased with Wii U. "Go to that thingy over there near the wotsit" becomes an easy-to-follow arrow; "Help! A man behind a rock is shooting at me!" becomes a little red notifier on the map that you cradle in your hands.

This version of Battlefield 3 might not have the sheer visual grunt of the top-end PC version, but the fact that EA's president is talking up the potential of Wii U means the version that Nintendo gamers will get their hands on promises genuine ingenuity in its mass multiplayer brawls.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 10, 2011, 10:47:09 PM »
Heh. The Wii U exclusively having a commander mode will throw some of the more excitable long time Battlefield fans in to a tiff. Using the tablet screen for a commander mode is an obvious use and I'm eager to see what DICE (or whoever EA has hired to work on the Wii U version) does with it. I haven't heard of commander-controlled resource drops and artillery strikes being in Battlefield 3 so it would be nice if they showed up again.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 11, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
The Wii U's best bet for third party support is too merely not get left out.  Since the Gamecube, Nintendo has had this problem where numerous games have been made for every system BUT Nintendo's.  The Wii U is not going to be the lead platform because it's Nintendo.  They're going to do SOMETHING weird that will turn some devs off.  The lead platform has to be something everyone is used to and that is flexible and accomodating.  But if the Wii U can just not get left out, that will do wonders.  That's all I ask for.  Nintendo, just don't **** third party support up with stupid avoidable mistakes.  You don't need to be the best, just be adequate, which you have not been in 15 years!

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 11, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
That Battlefield 3 info sounds juicy.  I've been enjoying the hell out of the Beta release on PS3 and I'm not even an online gamer lol.  Hearing this though, along with the stacked release schedule coming in the next few months, has me deciding to just wait till BF3 is released on WiiU and get it then.  I'm hoping for a confirmation of Elder's Scroll 5 getting a WiiU release so I can wait on that one but I don't know if I can fight that temptation.  That game looks too good to hold off on without a solid confirmation that it's coming to WiiU. 

Anyways, so far so good in regards to the WiiU news.  It seems like the online side of things might be decent after all which will hopefully bring about more support.  I'm glad EA is not just half assing this release on the WiiU.  Hopefully we get some more info from EA given that the president or CEO is supposed to be going to Japan I believe this week to get some more info on the WiiU specs, release schedule, and all that good stuff.  Hopefully there is a leak somewhere lol.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 11, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
But I really wanted the WiiU to Rock "the sheer visual grunt of the top-end PC version." Energy and size concerns be darned :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 11, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »
This news seems to confirm an earlier than Fall 12 release for the Wii U.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 11, 2011, 05:53:35 PM »

Micheal Pachter on Wii U. His negative outlook.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/pachters-podium-wii-u-not-quite-next-generation-xbox-live-tv-only-the-tip-of-the-iceberg/

The Wii U is a pretty ambitious undertaking. It's a new console, with new controls and architecture, but it's not quite "next" generation. Developers have to contend with differences between the Wii U and current generation consoles, then have to figure out what to do with the controls.

The timing is still up in the air, and as far as I know, there are no significant third party "exclusives"; instead, we'll see iterations of third party games already on the market, which is unlikely to drive significant hardware sales. In order for the launch to be "hugely successful" (as your question phrased it), the console will need three things: a competitive price, compelling first party launch titles, and compelling third party launch titles. We don't know if the Wii U will have any of these, so it's quite difficult to predict a hugely successful launch.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 11, 2011, 06:40:16 PM »
...and the fact that he probably hasn't seen the console since E3 and knows about as much as the rest of us that stay connected to the internet scouring for game related news.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 11, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
Isn't the Wii U essentially the infamous "Wii HD" Pachter whined about forever and ever?  Or does it not count now because it's "too late" or whatever?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 11, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
Michael Packturd is a retard. Analysts like him said back in 2006 that the Wii would only sell 19 million units and would be in distant third in terms of market share. So who gives a damn what video game analysts have to say? They are more often than not wrong, and they are always biased against Nintendo no matter what.
is your sanity...