Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592761 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1350 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
I don't think Nintendo needs to waste resources creating sports games that simply won't sell nearly as well as EA's established brands. If they're going to make sports games, they are better off using Mario and/or Miis because these games often have creative twists on the sport that make them appealing to more than just fans of the sport. And really, isn't that what Nintendo does best? Puts a fun spin on an existing something?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 24, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
The main reason why I want chocolate cake right now is because chocolate is delicious.

Bill Knapp's used to make awesome chocolate cakes. Too bad they went out of business...
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 24, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
I don't think Nintendo needs to waste resources creating sports games that simply won't sell nearly as well as EA's established brands. If they're going to make sports games, they are better off using Mario and/or Miis because these games often have creative twists on the sport that make them appealing to more than just fans of the sport. And really, isn't that what Nintendo does best? Puts a fun spin on an existing something?

Perhaps Nintendo and EA can collaborate on some professional sports titles? If Nintendo were to release a new Wiimote 2.0 then they could help integrate motion controls similar to Wii Sports into EA's professional sports titles to make the games even better.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 24, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
If Nintendo were to release a new Wiimote 2.0

They already did. Its called Wiimote Plus.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 24, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
If Nintendo were to release a new Wiimote 2.0

They already did. Its called Wiimote Plus.

The Wiimote Plus is what the Wiimote should have been from the start. What I am talking about is an even more precise motion controller that improves upon what the technology behind the PS Move. If Skyward Sword is successful then the next console Zelda title for the Wii U should incorporate Move style motion control.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:06:46 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 24, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
We know what you mean, but the problem with what your saying is that it relies on faulty reasoning.

The reason I want better motion controls is because it will be better for games.

Exactly how do you plan on proving that statement to be true?

On top of that, have you even tried Playstation Move? It pretty much does exactly the same thing as Motion Plus. Is Move vastly superior to Motion Plus? No, not vastly superior. It depends on the game and for the most part, it doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes, they do the same thing with different technology. And the problem with greater accuracy is that most people suck at doing these things in real life (i.e. throwing a pass, shooting a gun). Developers will actually tone down accuracy or have the game assist the player so the game remains fun.

You're really wrapped up in Nintendo improving what they already have to make games better and I agree to a point. They should always be improving whatever they can. However, I don't think a more accurate Wii Remote Plus is the second coming of Jesus Christ. In fact, I find the screen on the tablet controller to be far more useful, particularly in sports sim games.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:08 PM »
better is better, that's how. The problem is the definition of better is subjective.

its like when politicians argue that they're against progressive causes, it makes you realize how people throw around words they don't even understand, even if they are simple words. Pro(good, or forward)-gress(to step). The thing though is progress is subjective, but it would be a bad political move to argue against Advancement, even though the words progress and advancement mean the same thing and are example of 2 calques being added to the language.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 25, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
I've never tried Move, but I've heard people say its worse than Wiimote+
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 25, 2011, 02:43:01 AM »
I've never tried Move, but I've heard people say its worse than Wiimote+

I've heard people saying it's better because of the ice cream ball and camera.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 25, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »
PS Move is floaty when it comes to the pointer.
So if you are comparing Move to M+, M+ wins hands down.

Now if you are trying to track general motion with accuracy
then Move wins in that area, since it knows exactly where the wand is and how far away from the camera it is.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 25, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
I found the Move is god awful when it comes to the "pointer" function. 20 year old light gun tech is way better, there is no comparison. It's not just floaty, it's not a pointer, it doesn't work.

It's other functions were hit and miss dependant on software. When it works, it works pretty well.

**** that pointer.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 25, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Move is SOOOOO much more dependent on calibration then any of the Wii tech.  When you have it calibrated its great but, none of the menu in any of the games seem to use it as a pointer.  Same for the XMB interface.  Then the calibration... It really isn't a seamless experience.  I can definitely see why Nintendo made the choicest it did.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 25, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
One advantage that I over looked is that if Nintendo keeps the Wiimote Plus for the Wii U then production will drive the price of the controler down further and eventually they will get so cheap that they will practically come in cereal boxes. Also, third parties have not had enough time to fully embrace the motion plus, so I assume that many will be interested in figuring it out with the Wii U.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
They're pretty cheap to manufacture as is. Nintendo could sell a Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck for $25 and probably still make a profit.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »
When I mentioned before about the Wiimote 2.0 I was actually refering to a Wiimote Plus rereleased with a built-in rechargable battery, built-in vitality sensor (inside the grip), better buttons and two extra buttons that would take the Wiimote from an NES to an SNES controller.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1365 on: September 25, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »
The Wiimote could use more buttons and maybe a slidepad, but I'd be worried that 4 buttons would either have to be incredibly small or widen the controller and make is less comfortable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
If they did design a new Wiimote, it would be nice if they included an analog slider or two, like what you see on the 3DS. Having an analog input on the remote itself would mean there would be almost no need for the nunchuck.
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: September 25, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
they could include more buttons if they bulk up the top end like your standard remote control is.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: September 25, 2011, 11:33:54 PM »
It also would have been nice if it had an L/R shoulder buttons on the side for when they have you turn the remote and use it like an S/NES controller.
is your sanity...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1369 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
If they did design a new Wiimote, it would be nice if they included an analog slider or two, like what you see on the 3DS. Having an analog input on the remote itself would mean there would be almost no need for the nunchuck.

No, there will always be need for the nunchuck.  I know it sounds simple...just put that input device on one device and then you won't need to use the other hand.  However, try moving the Wiimote as a pointer and using the D-pad to move different directions it would be very disorientating and not natural for the brain at all. 

Now, do I think it would be a good idea to replace the D-pad with a slide pad.  Yeah, I do...but it would also kill backwards compatibility.  It also might make it weird moving from A button to D-pad for options on the pointer. 

I personally don't think we need a change in the Wiimote since Nintendo created Wiimote plus.  I think we need a Nunchuck plus, that gets the nunchuck to act more accurately, and behave more like the Wiimote minus the pointer functions.  I would love to play something like Red Steel two where I use the nunchuck as my sword, and the pointer can always be ready to shoot. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »
Should Nintendo release an updated remote design, it should match the tablet controller function for function, button for button minus the camera and screen. Obviously, it'd be in 2 parts. This would make the turning the remote sideways thing unnecessary and most games that did this would have been better off using the nunchuck anyway.

Other improvements are obvious like a rechargeable battery, a gyroscope and magnetometer in the nunchuck and possibly a non-tethered nunchuck (which would effectively make it not a nunchuck anymore but I digress).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:34:54 AM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1371 on: September 26, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
I think a gyroscope in the nunchuck is a must. The Wiimote was already more accurate than the nunchuck at launch and has since gotten better with WM+. Meanwhile, the nunchuck has gone unchanged. I think the difference will be really noticeable in Skyward Sword.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
If the Wii U is going to be backwards compatible with Wii games then does that mean that you will be able to stream Wii games on the Umote in the same manor as regular Wii U games?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 26, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
Should Nintendo release an updated remote design, it should match the tablet controller function for function, button for button minus the camera and screen. Obviously, it'd be in 2 parts. This would make the turning the remote sideways thing unnecessary and most games that did this would have been better off using the nunchuck anyway.

Other improvements are obvious like a rechargeable battery, a gyroscope and magnetometer in the nunchuck and possibly a non-tethered nunchuck (which would effectively make it not a nunchuck anymore but I digress).

It's funny. I wanted this before the Wii even came out. Hell, I even drew a mockup.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1374 on: September 27, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
I guess I am still 90% happy with the Wiimote design...or rather the Wiimote plus design.

The more I think about the D-pad the more I realize it is very useful...and I don't see a slide pad as being as useful. 

Now, I would change the remote to have 1 or 2 bean shaped buttons around the A button, or 3 bean shaped buttons in a circle in place of the A button. 

If that happened, you could argue the D-pad is unnecessary except for NES games...but darn it I like the side ways simple controller, and I like the simple motion controls you can do with it...and if Motion Plus was used from the start then those games might of had better motion control. 

The Wiimote doesn't really need to change.  Finding away to modify the sensor bar to be more accurate and useful and also the nunchuck is where my priorities would be.  (And yes I know the sensor bar isn't calculating anything...but perhaps it could still be modified for better accuracy.