Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592746 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1325 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »
It would probably be tied with being able to play the game on the controller alone, without a TV.

Reggie already said it wouldn't be possible to use the tablet controller without a TV. How could Nintendo require something which isn't even possible?

Nintendo's hyped the ability to use the controller as your TV screen while someone else is using the TV.  That's what I was referring to, since we don't know right now whether that'll just be hard-coded into the hardware or if developers will have to program around that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 22, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
It would probably be tied with being able to play the game on the controller alone, without a TV.

Reggie already said it wouldn't be possible to use the tablet controller without a TV. How could Nintendo require something which isn't even possible?

That is one of the advertised features and one I of its biggest selling points. Why wouldn't that be possible?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 22, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »
I could have sworn I read Reggie saying in an interview that you couldn't take it in other rooms and things like that. I remember before E3 we were all talking about being able to use the tablet like a handheld thing and take it and play it while on the toilet and things like that, but then Reggie said that wouldn't be possible. So did something change which now makes it possible? Or did Reggie simply not know what he was talking about?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 22, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »
It has limited range as the controller needs to be close enough to the console to stream data back and forth. One of the main selling points Nintendo pimped at E3 is the ability to stream the game onto the controller without lag if someone else wants to use the TV.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:18 AM »
Iwata mentioned paying from the kitchen or the bedroom, but then there are limits to the distance affected by things like thickness of the walls the signal is passing through.

So I like to think it will be much more like the wavebird where Nintendo was very conservative with the actual distance you could use the controller from.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 24, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »
What I would like for Nintendo to do with their Wii Sports line of games is to create their own version of professional sports titles. For example, Wii Sports: American Football Edition that is soulely for harcore football fans and would integrate whatever online system they have planned for the Wii U with the game. The same would go for basball, basketball, raquet ball, tennis and volleyball.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 24, 2011, 01:54:43 AM »
Unfortunately, the only sports games Nintendo will make these days are either going to feature Mario and friends or Miis.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Skyrim Wii U!?
« Reply #1332 on: September 24, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »
Bethesda says Skyrim is a possibility on Wii U
if it's not too much work of course (and it shouldn't be)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113271-Wii-U-Version-of-Skyrim-Is-a-Possibility-Says-Bethesda
Bethesda's PR boss Peter Hines says that Skyrim could make its way to the Wii U, as long as the conditions are right. He says that Bethesda will potentially look at any platform, as long as it can accommodate the kind of games the studio makes.

However, Hines said that having a platform that could support a game like Skyrim was crucial, because the more work that Bethesda had to do, the less appealing porting the game became. "Making a game is an enormous process," he said. "Just doing 360, PS3 and PC - I don't think people understand the amount of work that goes into that. All of the localization you have to do ... It's a pretty huge undertaking."

"You aren't just supporting the Wii U; you're supporting it in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish," he added.

and on a really unknown reliability note (I was gonna post this this morning, but never found and sort of credibility for the site)
Some "Anonymous" THQ Employee supposedly sings Wii U's praises.
Definitive versions of everything will be on PC or Wii U.... for a while.
http://www.fedwars.net/wrestling_article.php?article_id=6

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 24, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
Unfortunately, the only sports games Nintendo will make these days are either going to feature Mario and friends or Miis.

If they want to appeal to core gamers then that needs to change.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 24, 2011, 02:37:13 AM »
Bethesda says Skyrim is a possibility on Wii U
if it's not too much work of course (and it shouldn't be)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113271-Wii-U-Version-of-Skyrim-Is-a-Possibility-Says-Bethesda
Bethesda's PR boss Peter Hines says that Skyrim could make its way to the Wii U, as long as the conditions are right. He says that Bethesda will potentially look at any platform, as long as it can accommodate the kind of games the studio makes.

However, Hines said that having a platform that could support a game like Skyrim was crucial, because the more work that Bethesda had to do, the less appealing porting the game became. "Making a game is an enormous process," he said. "Just doing 360, PS3 and PC - I don't think people understand the amount of work that goes into that. All of the localization you have to do ... It's a pretty huge undertaking."

"You aren't just supporting the Wii U; you're supporting it in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish," he added.

and on a really unknown reliability note (I was gonna post this this morning, but never found and sort of credibility for the site)
Some "Anonymous" THQ Employee supposedly sings Wii U's praises.
Definitive versions of everything will be on PC or Wii U.... for a while.
http://www.fedwars.net/wrestling_article.php?article_id=6

How awesomely optimistic! Only Ian could read that and find the hidden negative. Sounds great to me!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21:11 AM »
I think the only real negative here is that the game will be horribly buggy in true Bethesda tradition.

That and I find their games incredibly boring. Like Aircraft Simulator boring.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: September 24, 2011, 03:25:26 AM »
The problem with Skyrim is its coming out November of this year, but the Wii U might not be out until November next year.

If this game is anything like other Bethesda games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 then what I predict will happen is there will be bout 5 DLC things for it, and then a year or two later they will re-release the game as a GOTY edition which will have all the DLCs on one disc. Maybe the Wii U will be able to get in on that, because if this happens it will happen well after the Wii U is out.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: September 24, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
If they want to appeal to core gamers then that needs to change.
I disagree. Nintendo used to make publish MLB and NBA games then they let Left Field Productions and Angel Studios walk as 2nd party developers. Nintendo originally had Retro Studios working on an NFL game before canceling all of their projects except Metroid Prime. Today, they can't make an NFL game even if they wanted to because EA has exclusive rights to NFL license for the next 703 years. I'm not sure about NHL. Clearly, publishing sports games isn't on their to-do lists. They're happy letting EA corner that market and as long as EA keeps publishing games for their hardware, they'll have something to appease sports game fans. I don't think thats a bad strategy. In fact, if Nintendo decided to release their own sports titles again, that would only make it harder for EA to succeed and Nintendo shouldn't want to lose any of EA's business.

Nintendo can't just start making their own versions of hit core titles and suddenly have core gamers running for Wii U. It doesn't work that way. Nintendo is Nintendo because they make Nintendo games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: September 24, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
Today, they can't make an NFL game even if they wanted to because EA has exclusive rights to NFL license for the next 703 years. I'm not sure about NHL.

Wasn't that dead exclusive excluding 1st party platform holders. Meaning that Sony, Nintendo or MS could publish NFL or MLB games if they wanted too, but all dev's/publishers not on that exclusive list could not?

I just think EA convinced them all that competing against them wasn't in their best interest as they needed a strong 3rd party developer that would bring not only the sports games, but other big name IP's too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 24, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
It might. I thought the NFL license was definitely exclusive to EA. Not sure about the other sports. Either way, I don't really think Nintendo wants or needs to release official sports games as long as EA is publishing them on Nintendo hardware.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1340 on: September 24, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
Yup, EA has third party exclusivity to at least the NFL. But if you want to keep a decent amount of support from EA, you don't rock their boat.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: September 24, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
This is the main reason for why I want a better motion controller available for the Wii U, which isbetter sports titles.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: September 24, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
The main reason why I want chocolate cake right now is because chocolate is delicious.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: September 24, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
The main reason I want 100 million dollars right now is because money makes most of life's problems go away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: September 24, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
Not herpes. That's... That's not going anywhere...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 24, 2011, 04:11:24 PM »
I really enjoyed the Wii Sports games, but if Nintendo is going to do more games in that series it needs a better motion controller. One that is similar to Sony's Move controller.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 24, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
I think if I had a 100 million dollars I would probably start an international incident, one requiring the US to extradite me.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: September 24, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
I think if I had a 100 million dollars I would probably start an international incident, one requiring the US to extradite me.

id start my own country, i've already designed the flag, and then i'd get U.N status
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 24, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
The entry of gaming franchise into HD have allowed them to achieve not only good quality, but to expand in ways that help the gamer better enjoy the experience. Nintendo is good at doing this with their franchises and with the tools that HD development will give them then they have the chance to make their franchise even more powerful than before. If Nintendo does the Wii U right then they might very well be the dominant player once again.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 24, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »