Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592781 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1300 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »
Nintendo could always get customers attention long enough with their own FPS to show that they have third party titles avalaible as well.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
I want FP Tetris.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
BF3 on Wii U to be the definitive version?
« Reply #1302 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
Battlefield 3 designer looking for killer Wii U idea
EA hoping to make BF3 on Wii U the definitive version!?
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30706/battlefield-3-designer-looking-for-wii-u-ideas/
Patrick Liu thinks new console will prove sceptics wrong

Battlefield 3 was shown off during Nintendo's Wii U showcase at E3 but the game's lead designer has told Official Nintendo Magazine that he's still trying to think of a "breakthrough idea" for the new Wii U controller.

"We definitely see potential in the Wii U," Patrick Liu told us. "But I wish I had the breakthrough idea for how to exploit the new controller."

EA's big first-person shooter is coming to Xbox 360, PS3 and PC next month but with the Wii U not due for release until 2012, Liu still has plenty of time to come up with an idea.

He added: "We're definitely looking into what kind of new stuff we can do with Wii U. I don't have that idea yet.

"Nintendo has surprised us so many times before. I was one of the sceptics when the Wii came out and it proved us wrong. I think they're going to prove a lot of sceptics wrong again."

Earlier this year EA President Frank Gibeau said that Wii U had helped them uncover new ways to play Battlefield Wii U.

You can read more about Wii U in the November issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Thursday 22 September.

or EA has no clue as to what to do with the uMote?

I guess we'll find out at sometime next year. stay tuned.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 21, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
You can read more about Wii U in the November issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale on Thursday 22 September.
All my Creditors would love me if I could pay my bills like that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:01 PM »
I wish I could pay all my bills 1.5 months ahead of time too.

I wonder what little tidbit of info is supposed to get dropped in tomorrows Novermber Issue of ONM.

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
New details on Wii-U:  Wii-U to 3DS to N64 to Amiga-CD connectivity in the works.

Prep your minds to be blown and sucked at the same time.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
I just hope WiiU has 3D support.  I really enjoy it when I can use it in games on my PS3.  Especially racing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 21, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I hope 3DTV tech makes incredible advances between now and the time the Wii-U is released, then.  Every time I've seen a 3DTV, no matter the brand, it's been a very underwhelming experience.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:42 PM »
That's because 3D itself is a very underwhelming experience.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 21, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
*shrug*
People have to high of expectations for it.  Simply because most people associate 3D with Holograms from Star Wars.  Which I'm still waiting for by the way.

To be honest that's fair because 3D has been done in one form or another since the 1800's

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 21, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
I love 3D. It's not holy **** that's amazing like the change from black and white to color, but it is a step in the right direction.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 21, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
I hate 3D anything, but for some reason Star Fox 64 and OoT 3D are easy on my eyes. I refuse to watch movies in 3D!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Snake-Arms

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 21, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
That's because 3D itself is a very underwhelming experience.

No, not really.  The 3D Muppet movie I saw at Disneyland a few years back was pretty much amazing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 22, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
Always nice to read that an innovation brings real change and also excitement with developers.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 22, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »
I'm happy to see the Wii U is getting 3rd party support. This means I won't need to get a PS4 or Xbox420. I just hope it stays that way, though. The Wii kinda got off to a good start in terms of software support, but look where its at now... As long as that doesn't happen this time around I think this will be an awesome system.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
Unless 3rd parties truly have an agenda against Nintendo (which it what it seemed like this gen), then No, that won't happen again.

One of the main reasons Wii got so much less support from 3rd parties was the fact that they were still using the outdated TEV units in the GC GPU. Too much work was needed to downgrade and rework a game to work on the Wii (i still think they could have done it, but I understand why they didn't in some cases), and considering that Wii came out 1 year after 360, most games in development had already started with HD in mind and modern shader units as the base design platform. WIth the amount of time and money and manpower that was already being spent to create the HD version, a whole new team was sometimes needed to recode a Wii version.

Wii U uses a modern shader than should have every modern technique built in, so any engine that was designed for the PS360 and any engine optimized for PS4/720 should also work without much compromise on the WiiU. If PS360 can do it, Wii U can do it better, faster and probably in 1080p @ 60fps ;)

You see how quickly they got DSII up and running on Wii U and then how quickly they adapted it to work directly on the controller. Wii U will not have the same portability issues that Wii did since it was designed with HD and modern GPU in mind.

If 3rd parties do not support the Wii U this time around, then it can't be the fault of the hardware, it will most definitely be a personal preference of the dev/pub. (money hats... or lack there of?)

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
Consumers usually go for the biggest and best products out there, so the question I have to ask is whether the Wii U will fly off the shelves even with third party games that are already avalable for consoles that consumers are familar with.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 22, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
I think once Wii U hits shelves, similar to Wii, once people touch it and understand it, they'll see the awesome potential.

Nintendo needs to bring their 'A' game literally because in store demos or the pack-in game need to hit hard on that point. Potential. They need another Wii Sports.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: September 22, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »
One of the main reasons Wii got so much less support from 3rd parties was the fact that they were still using the outdated TEV units in the GC GPU. Too much work was needed to downgrade and rework a game to work on the Wii (i still think they could have done it, but I understand why they didn't in some cases), and considering that Wii came out 1 year after 360, most games in development had already started with HD in mind and modern shader units as the base design platform. WIth the amount of time and money and manpower that was already being spent to create the HD version, a whole new team was sometimes needed to recode a Wii version.

In addition to that, I think the motion controls also hurt things too because games also had to be reworked in order to function with that. I don't think the Wii U tablet will have this problem, because at worst all the developers have to do is just not use the touchscreen thing at all and just use it as a standard controller. Just because the capability is there doesn't mean they have to use it.

Looking at the PS3's dualshock controller there are very few games which use the tilt function of it, and fewer still which actually require it. The Wii U tablet might end up kinda like that where some of the bells and whistles of it might just go unused for most games.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:35:28 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:01 PM »
The biggest thing that will make or break the Wii U is online. Online multiplayer is becoming so integrated into games these days that just about every major franchise has to have it in order to be successful. Nintendo is no exception to this, so they will have to adopt online into their games this time around.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:42:21 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
I don't think the Wii U tablet will have this problem, because at worst all the developers have to do is just not use the touchscreen thing at all and just use it as a standard controller. Just because the capability is there doesn't mean they have to use it.

On paper, that would seem to be the case.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo had a software standard that forced developers to make the touchscreen do something in order for 3rd parties to get their software through certification.  It would probably be tied with being able to play the game on the controller alone, without a TV.  They didn't seem to have this requirement on the DS or 3DS, so it is very unlikely they'll force developers to do it with the Wii U and they'd be foolish to do so.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:11:28 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »
Nintendo is good at their own gimmicks, so they should not force anyone to conform to their standards. They should just let third parties decide what control scheme best fits their game. If this were to happen, more third parties would be attacted to variety and offer better games for the system.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
It would probably be tied with being able to play the game on the controller alone, without a TV.

Reggie already said it wouldn't be possible to use the tablet controller without a TV. How could Nintendo require something which isn't even possible?
is your sanity...