Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592833 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1275 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
Personally think its Metroid 3D sleep time.  Maybe a 2D one but even that be sort of pushing it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 20, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
Like I said the series seems to do better when developed by westerners

Super Metroid says "hello".

Gearbox working on Metroid is even more ridiculous than Team Ninja working on Metroid.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 20, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
Personally think its Metroid 3D sleep time.  Maybe a 2D one but even that be sort of pushing it.

I said it before, but Wayforward should remake Metroid 2 and then do a brand new 2D title for the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 20, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »
Don't you mean "Like Adrock said before"? Stop trying to gank my ideas.

In Wii U news, Michael Pachter is claiming Wii U is "not a new console. It's Wii HD."

/motherfucking facepalm

Once this guy has a thought, he just doesn't let it go.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 20, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
You have a habit of just tossing names around. Is there a specific reason why you think Gearbox Software is the right developer to take the mantle from Retro? I get that they're a pretty good developer but what about their design philosophy compliments Nintendo's? See, in addition to just being a flat-out fucking awesome developer, Retro Studios has a really good working relationship with Nintendo and that's why Donkey Kong Country Returns, a franchise in a genre Retro never worked on, came together so well. I'm given no reason to believe Gearbox would have the same kind of relationship with Nintendo. Now, I'm not saying they necessarily can't. However, I'm curious why you're trumpeting their name at every opportunity.

Additionally, what makes you think Gearbox Software would even want to work on Metroid?

Nintendo has said that they will welcome more western developers with the Wii U and what better way to do that than to have a company like Gearbox develope a new 3D Metroid game? The reason I say Gearbox is because they are one of the modern developers that I am very impressed by the quality of their titles. Metroid is by and larg Nintendo's answer to CoD, Killzone, Halo, GoW, etc, and the series really does not have a Japanese fanbase, so the only way to truelly to appeal western game fans is to have a game company that they are familiar with to make the new game.

http://gamerant.com/iwata-nintendo-project-cafe-western-developers-cj-82451/

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobby/b8270/202399493/p1

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 20, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
In Wii U news, Michael Pachter is claiming Wii U is "not a new console. It's Wii HD."

/motherfucking facepalm

Once this guy has a thought, he just doesn't let it go.

He needs a win in his column..... desperately

He is also a master at trolling internet forums since we actually listen to ramblings and apparently care about what he has to say.
Why can't i be a paid "analysts"

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 20, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Metroid is by and larg Nintendo's answer to CoD, Killzone, Halo, GoW, etc, and the series really does not have a Japanese fanbase, so the only way to truelly to appeal western game fans is to have a game company that they are familiar with to make the new game.

Metroid is so not an answer to your modern First Person Shooters.  It's in an entirely different genre than something like Killzone or Resistance.  The only thing it has in common with them is that the Japanese don't like it, and that's not uncommon.  I'd give a good example of an IP Nintendo has that does meet that criteria, but Nintendo doesn't have one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 20, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »
Jesus Christ on a crutch, kytim...

1. Have you actually played a recent Gearbox Software game? Or are you basing this on reviews? To my understanding, you don't own another console besides the Wii. Just curious.

2. Did you really say Metroid is Nintendo's answer to a bunch of franchises that were at best created 15 years after it? Have you actually played a Metroid game before? If you have, you'd know that they're nothing like those games. At all. That's like calling Mario Kart an answer to Tetris.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 20, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
Metroid is by and larg Nintendo's answer to CoD, Killzone, Halo, GoW, etc, and the series really does not have a Japanese fanbase, so the only way to truelly to appeal western game fans is to have a game company that they are familiar with to make the new game.

This is one reason why Retro should avoid another Metroid title and go straight to making Nintendo's version of those FPS titles. They certainly have the creative pedigree to pull something off like Nintendo's version of Halo or Killzone.

Metroid is so not an answer to your modern First Person Shooters.  It's in an entirely different genre than something like Killzone or Resistance.  The only thing it has in common with them is that the Japanese don't like it, and that's not uncommon.  I'd give a good example of an IP Nintendo has that does meet that criteria, but Nintendo doesn't have one.

I have never owned an HD system. I am still stuck in 2006 in that regard.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:46:13 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 20, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »

I'd say Nintendo needs one.  Not to compete with Killzone or whatever, but to free Metroid from the expectation.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

I'd say Nintendo needs one.  Not to compete with Killzone or whatever, but to free Metroid from the expectation.

Retro Studios should be the one to take care of this issue.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Metroid is so not an answer to your modern First Person Shooters.  It's in an entirely different genre than something like Killzone or Resistance.

The Metroid Prime series are in first person and you shoot things.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Chozo is right. Think of it this way. Metroid and Gradius are both 2D and you shoot things. Same thing.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 20, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »
To clear up my previous post, I said that Nintendo should put Retro Studio in charge of creating a new FPS IP that is their answer to Halo and Call of Duty.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 20, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »
Here's some food for thought: Maybe doesn't need an answer to Halo or Killzone. Sony and Microsoft don't really have an answer to Mario and Zelda and they do just fine.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: September 20, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need an answer to Call of Duty, because it is a multi-platform series which generally makes it to Nintendo systems.

That said, an exclusive Nintendo FPS would be nice, and it would fill a void in Nintendo's 1st and 2nd party software offerings. But I can't see that happening as long as Nintendo's decision making is all done in Japan and NOA lacks the balls to stand up to them or give its region what it wants.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:48:48 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 20, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
Metroid is so not an answer to your modern First Person Shooters.  It's in an entirely different genre than something like Killzone or Resistance.

The Metroid Prime series are in first person and you shoot things.

Are you seriously saying the exploration; puzzle; and platforming-oriented Metroid Prime games are comparable to run-and-gun corridor shooters like Call of Duty?  Probably the closest Nintendo's ever come to a true modern FPS was Geist (and even that is stretching things a bit), and that didn't work out so well.  In fact, the straight-forward combat was the worst part of that game.

Here's some food for thought: Maybe doesn't need an answer to Halo or Killzone. Sony and Microsoft don't really have an answer to Mario and Zelda and they do just fine.

Sony does have answers to Mario and Zelda.  There are the Team Ico projects (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian), as well as the Ratchet & Clank; Sly Cooper; and Jak & Daxter games.  They attack the platforming and adventure genres in different ways, though.

As for Microsoft, their efforts in those categories are significantly weaker, but they do still have Banjo-Kazooie and Conker for the platforming genre (even if their previous appearances weren't well received).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:56:26 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 20, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »
Sony does have answers to Mario and Zelda.  There are the Team Ico projects (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian), as well as the Ratchet & Clank; Sly Cooper; and Jak & Daxter games.  They attack the platforming and adventure genres in different ways, though.
I figured someone would bring those games up, but you pretty much offered a retort to your own point. They're not really for the same audience. Sony pretty much decided that they're not going to try to go head to head with Nintendo because you can't out-Mario Mario or out-Zelda Zelda. The brands are too strong. All those games may be in the same genre but they're going after a different kind of gamer. Alternatively, Sony is going right after Microsoft and Halo with offerings like Resistance and Killzone.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
The main producer of the Team Ico projects has stated in the past that the main inspiration for his titles is Zelda. Secondly, all of Nintendo's competitors try to copy their IPs in the same manner as their gimmicks. All of Sony's platforming games are trying to appeal to Mario fans. As for not wanting to compete with Nintendo's IPs, they all ready do it, but on a more subtle manner.

Nintendo has stated they wish to appeal to core gamers with the Wii U ans what better way then capture better third party support? We all know that the only sure fire way to capture their support is for Nintendo to show them how serious they are out having their partnership. The best way to do this is for Nintendo to have a core title of thier own. The market has shifted to the point that the best core titles are made by western deveopers. The last time I checked Retro was a western developer, so why not let them make a core FPS title for the Wii U?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »
I would actually love to see Nintendo take on the FPS genre, only because the genre is stagnant.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »
I would actually love to see Nintendo take on the FPS genre, only because the genre is stagnant.

I don't think the genre's as stagnant as many seem to think.  We do get games in the genre that try to be more than standard military shooters, such as the Resistance series' love of crazy weapons and Bulletstorm's focus on a killing foes in creative ways with high score-based gameplay.  3rd person shooters like Vanquish try to up the crazy factor.  The problem is that people don't seem to buy games in the shooter genre that try something new or put a new spin on it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 20, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
Meh...you maybe right. But it's hard to argue that the most polished shooters seem to be those that deal with real weapons.

I feel like if Nintendo made a FPS it would end up like Portal or something.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 20, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
Are you seriously saying the exploration; puzzle; and platforming-oriented Metroid Prime games are comparable to run-and-gun corridor shooters like Call of Duty?  Probably the closest Nintendo's ever come to a true modern FPS was Geist (and even that is stretching things a bit), and that didn't work out so well.  In fact, the straight-forward combat was the worst part of that game.

Combat wise the Metroid Prime games are FPS. In what way are they not? You are fighting from a first person perspective and shooting and there is a HUD. In what way is that not like an FPS? But that's just the combat aspect of it. There's also the puzzles, exploration, and platforming elements as well and I'm not arguing there isn't. So Metroid Prime is a blend of several genres, but one of those genres is FPS. The Metroid Prime series is a thinking man's FPS.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Here is why Nintendo needs to capture more third party support: http://www.develop-online.net/news/38231/Western-games-shine-in-Japanese-charts

Also, count how many game on Nintendo's system are on that top ten list.

With Nintendo having DQX and potentially a ginourmous HD version of Monster Hunter coupled with third party support in Japan then Nintendo might just win this thing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »
The main producer of the Team Ico projects has stated in the past that the main inspiration for his titles is Zelda. Secondly, all of Nintendo's competitors try to copy their IPs in the same manner as their gimmicks. All of Sony's platforming games are trying to appeal to Mario fans. As for not wanting to compete with Nintendo's IPs, they all ready do it, but on a more subtle manner.
Have you actually played Team Ico titles? They're nothing like Zelda. They have a high emphasis on puzzles, more than any Zelda game. I can't really compare Team Ico games to anything else on the market. They make niche games. They're not going after Zelda fans.

The rest are very different platformers than Mario. I wouldn't say they're so much as trying to appeal to Mario fans as they are trying to make a very different kind of game than Mario. Sony can't just make Mario games with a different character running around. I suppose, in a way, one could say that Sony's answer to Mario is to make something that is decidedly not Mario by adding stealth or third person shooting. If that's the case, they aren't trying to swoop in and capture the hearts of Mario fans because that's just never going to happen. They're trying to carve out they're own audience that can co-exist with Mario and they're doing it by not making the same kind of games.
Nintendo has stated they wish to appeal to core gamers with the Wii U ans what better way then capture better third party support? We all know that the only sure fire way to capture their support is for Nintendo to show them how serious they are out having their partnership. The best way to do this is for Nintendo to have a core title of thier own. The market has shifted to the point that the best core titles are made by western deveopers. The last time I checked Retro was a western developer, so why not let them make a core FPS title for the Wii U?
Wait, so you mean to tell me that your idea for Nintendo to cultivate partnerships and show 3rd parties how serious they are about having that support is by using one of their best development teams to create a FPS that directly competes with some of those companies biggest IPs? 3rd parties having been bitching for years that Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games and you want Nintendo to make it even harder for 3rd parties to succeed on Wii U. Right.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:05:37 PM by Adrock »