Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592828 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Crytek is Excited about Wii U!!
« Reply #1225 on: September 17, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »
Crytek is "happy with" & "excited about" Wii U
says "Specs are very good"
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-14-state-of-play-crytek-editorial
As for the latest round of tech that we do know about, Yerli may not be particularly taken with the PlayStation Vita (Jones is more diplomatic, and says Crytek will work with the machine when the timing is right and the interest from licensees is significant) but he's excited about the Nintedo Wii U.

The specs are very good," Yerli enthuses.

"It's a challenge for designers, but once thought through it can add value, and that's what ultimately important. Our guys in Nottingham they are very happy with their tests on the dev kits and they're excited about it."

remember that Crytek wanted 8GBs RAM in the next round of consoles. I'm not suggesting that Wii U has 8GBs of RAM, but you would figure that there is a fair amount if they are "happy" & "excited".
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:04:47 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1226 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:02 AM »
That's old news?  They already talked about it, back in June :0.  They said they were able to get a demo up an running quickly with cry engine 3.  They haven't talked about next generation yet.  Not sure if they are planning on bringing over Crysis 2 or Far Cry 3 to the WII U--they didn't mention what the demo was about.

Any WII U news at TGS?  I was hoping to see some of Nintendo's own offerings but so far it doesn't appear like they are going show any? 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 17, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
8GB for a console? Does it even need that?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »
Need... Probably not.
Could benefit from?
Probably.

Especially since its all shared.  Think about using 4GB to preload assets into memory.  Monster Hunter with bigger areas that have area only for gameplay reasons.  Being able to start preloading multiple choices.  Enough that you could get into the action and in the background things could finish.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 17, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Things that the Wii U needs to be successful:

Capacitive touchscreen for the Umote.
Steam integrated with Wii Shop Channel.
Robust online for multiplayer games and DLC.
Strong first and third party support.
A Umote that actually works. ;)

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: September 17, 2011, 01:40:29 PM »
No, it needs more. The RAM should match the disc size so that the game can be loaded into it and there will never be a load screen again!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 17, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
The Wii U is going to have more RAM than it has onboard storage.
is your sanity...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 17, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Not sure if they are planning on bringing over Crysis 2 or Far Cry 3 to the WII U--they didn't mention what the demo was about.

A quick correction: CryTek doesn't own the Far Cry name anymore. That belongs to Ubi Soft.

The Wii U is going to have more RAM than it has onboard storage.
Aw, man. I can see that happening. At least it has been confirmed for now that you can hook up USB storage space. I hope that doesn't change.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
It would be suicidal for Nintendo to not include a USB storage solution for the Wii U.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 17, 2011, 11:26:29 PM »
Here is why the Wii U needs a capacitive touchscreen on its controller: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TaUCZ3az0&feature=related

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 17, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
I'm sure we all agree that Wii U could use a multi-touch screen, but I don't know if I trust the accuracy of that video.

Also since WiiU and 3DS are aiming for some sort of feature parity at the moment.... if 3DS didn't get one, I wouldn't hold my breath for Wii U to have it either.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 17, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
I'm sure we all agree that Wii U could use a multi-touch screen, but I don't know if I trust the accuracy of that video.

Also since WiiU and 3DS are aiming for some sort of feature parity at the moment.... if 3DS didn't get one, I wouldn't hold my breath for Wii U to have it either.

What if the Wii U were to have a capcitive touchscreen and then Nintendo put one into the 3DS Lite? If Nintendo upgraded the technology then they could avoid the stigma of retreading old gimmicks such the resistive touchscreen found on the DS systems. If Nintendo added better screens then they could make better gameplay features.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 17, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
A multi-touch screen will be used in the 4DS, but not in the 3DS.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 17, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »

What if the Wii U were to have a capcitive touchscreen and then Nintendo put one into the 3DS Lite? If Nintendo upgraded the technology then they could avoid the stigma of retreading old gimmicks such the resistive touchscreen found on the DS systems. If Nintendo added better screens then they could make better gameplay features.

Split demographics maybe. Those with and those without.
If games started being made for 3DS2 that wouldn't work on 3DS1, then there would be quite a bit of unhappy campers. Any upgrade that alienated existing owners not even 1 year into the systems life would be a really bad move on Nintendo's part.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:54 AM »

Split demographics maybe. Those with and those without.
If games started being made for 3DS2 that wouldn't work on 3DS1, then there would be quite a bit of unhappy campers. Any upgrade that alienated existing owners not even 1 year into the systems life would be a really bad move on Nintendo's part.

They could always make a capacitive touchscreen that is BC with older 3DS games. This way newer titles can take advanatge of the newer technology and at the same people who replace their standard 3DS will have the ability to play their older titles.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 18, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »
Could NIntendo make a Capacitive touch screen 3DS?
sure, but it's not likely to happen till a successor system.

anything is possible though, because if you had asked any of us 6 weeks ago if Nintendo would release a controller shell for the 3DS that added a 2nd analog stick and 2 addition triggers that were also analog, we all might have called you crazy and told you to get lost.

SO you can hold onto your hope, but you don't need to bring it up too often. You can always play the "I told you so " game later if it actually happens.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 18, 2011, 01:01:32 AM »
I have read about there being a hybrid of the two screen types, so I assume that Nintendo could make a capacitive touchscreen for both consoles and still retain BC. The real obstacle is whether Nintendo wants to add that kind of technology to their devices. Is capacitive touch technology even old enough for to warrant using it? With all the Apple devices and tablets on the market being produced Nintendo should be able to get wholesale with minimal effort. Lastly, if Nintendo was going to charge $249.99 for the Wii U, I would not object to them raising the price to $299.99 if it meant that a capacitive touchscreen and other good features were included, such as an internal HDD bay.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 18, 2011, 01:26:43 AM »
That video is a massive load of Bull. Everybody here who owns a DS or 3DS know how responsive the touchscreen is. Don't ever show a rigged test again.

Whether the WiiU gets a resistive or a capacitive screen will depend on what Nintendo feels is more important. They both have their pros and cons. A capacitive is going to lose that pin point accuracy and increased cleaning from smudges. Resistive won't have the accuracy if you use a blunt object(finger) and misses multi touch. For the WiiU, both are valid choices.

A (3)DS on the other hand, a capacitive is a terrible idea. The small size means multi touch is a wasted and unnecessary feature. The size also means accuracy is a premium. What would have been a really good addition is a touch screen for the top as well, but I guess that is for next gen.

Given your hard on for capacitive touchscreens Kytim89, one would thing you had a vested interest in it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
A capacitive multitouch screen would make sense for the tablet controller for a variety of reasons. Not sure the touchscreen will ever be the main input for any Wii U titles so it doesn't necessarily need the accuracy of a stylus and Nintendo did show 2 people playing on one tablet controller so multitouch would be nice. However, I thought a stylus was shown at E3. Could be mistaken and I'm too lazy to double check. If it's already using a resistive screen, I doubt that will change.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:06 AM »
Check out this hybrid of the two screen systems: http://pocketnow.com/smartphone-news/hybrid-capacitive-and-resistive-touchscreen-brings-best-of-both

Yes. I do have a hard on for capacitive touch screens because I think that they are the future, but the only thing that I do not like about them is that they do not use a stylus.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: September 18, 2011, 02:01:59 AM »
I wish there was some way we could talk to Nintendo and convince them that the "Wii U" name is a serious mistake. Its not too late for them to change it, but as soon as they launch it that name will be etched in stone and then we have to suffer a whole nother generation of a Nintendo console with a crappy name. The Wii was bad enough and it should have ended there. The people who make these decisions like Iwata speak Japanese and not English so they don't understand why the name "Wii U" is stupid and how it will be ridiculed in the west.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: September 18, 2011, 02:56:15 AM »
I wish there was some way we could talk to Nintendo and convince them that the "Wii U" name is a serious mistake. Its not too late for them to change it, but as soon as they launch it that name will be etched in stone and then we have to suffer a whole nother generation of a Nintendo console with a crappy name. The Wii was bad enough and it should have ended there. The people who make these decisions like Iwata speak Japanese and not English so they don't understand why the name "Wii U" is stupid and how it will be ridiculed in the west.

I will simply photoshop the words "Super Wii" into a fancy modern day HD console logo and the print it out and paste it over the "Wii U" logo on the console. Problem solved.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 18, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
If the Wii U has a capacitive touchscreen, it could take mouse+qwerty gaming from being PC only.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 18, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »
According to rumours the Wii U is going to have kick ass specs and it would make sense to have a modern day touchscreen (ie capacitive) with that system than a touch screen that was top of the line in the 1990s, which is the resistive touch screen. It also makes the DS made into a home console argument a little less valid when a better screen is being used in the new controller. Iphone versus the DS, which is better for a suped up HD console? Which brings better gameply ideas to the table that are not stuck in 2005?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:07:13 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »
yes. once again we all agree that a capacitive screen on the uMote would be great, 6 point multi-touch too would also be beautiful, but we're just not sure what changes Nintendo is making right now if any at all.

It's possible that even though it appears they are aiming for some sort of parity on the WiiU->3DS connectivity, that the devs can just plan accordingly for a 3DS connected as an extra controller and not need to gimp uMote for a identical feature set.

....it's gonna be a long wait to till probably some time next year to hear more about Wii U.
CES, GDC, a special WiiU only event.... E3? Hopefully before E3.