Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592763 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »
The Wii U will never be a focal point for RPGs until Nintendo (especially NoA) changes their mind about them and welcomes the genre with open arms.  They are the ones who cut off the flow of RPGs to Nintendo consoles with their actions and rhetoric in the N64 era, and only with the correct actions and rhetoric now will that come to an end.

Dragon Quest will sell in Japan regardless of quality or console.  Let's see Nintendo make it a AAA franchise in North America, and then we'll talk about this being an RPG system.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2011, 03:54:49 AM »
The Wii U will never be a focal point for RPGs as long as everyone in Japan buys  and makes RPGs for their handheld.

Fixed.

Rhetoric, n64, etc doesn't matter.  Nintendo's DS was the biggest system for RPGs.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2011, 04:25:16 AM »
The Wii U will never be a focal point for RPGs until Nintendo (especially NoA) changes their mind about them and welcomes the genre with open arms.  They are the ones who cut off the flow of RPGs to Nintendo consoles with their actions and rhetoric in the N64 era, and only with the correct actions and rhetoric now will that come to an end.

Dragon Quest will sell in Japan regardless of quality or console.  Let's see Nintendo make it a AAA franchise in North America, and then we'll talk about this being an RPG system.

Nintendo has always been open to the genre regardless thier rhetoric in the previous generations.  This is evident through the huge list of rpgs that have seen release on all their previous handlelds.  The shift of the console jrpg was a combination of Nintendo's doing and moreso Squareenix's vision they had for the genre.  At the time, when Square jumped ship, they along with Enix were basically the japanese rpg market.  They were the driving force.  The N64 was hampered by its cartridges compared to the new focus of Squareenix.  The Cube had smaller discs which I'm sure pushed away some possible rpg developers.  The Wii was a built upon the runnaway success with the "casual"market which aren't the ones lining up for the newest rpgs.

Also, no system has ever launched with an rpg of this caliber at or near launch.  Sony became the home for console rpgs becuase Sqauresoft built the audience with FF7.  The same  could happen now with the WiiU and DQX. 

The market shifted becuase of one game at the time (FF7's move to PS) so I don't see how this is any different.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Nintendo has always been open to the genre regardless thier rhetoric in the previous generations.

Maybe you're too young to remember, but former Nintendo president Yamauchi was quoted in the N64 years as saying that "RPGs are for depressed gamers who like to sit in their dark rooms playing slow games" and RPGs were (to him) "silly and boring".  There were a lot of sour grapes between Nintendo and Squaresoft back in the day.  And I'm curious how you can say the company as a whole is open to the genre when we have NoA refusing to publish the Operation Rainfall games when they have nothing else releasing on their console before or after Zelda.

Also, no system has ever launched with an rpg of this caliber at or near launch.  Sony became the home for console rpgs becuase Sqauresoft built the audience with FF7.  The same  could happen now with the WiiU and DQX.

DQ X will never be what Final Fantasy was at its most popular.  I don't think any JRPG could be, honestly.  The genre's nowhere near as popular as it once was outside Japan, and FF7 was the perfect storm of new technologies that people had never before seen to that degree.  That will not be the case with DQ X.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 12:29:00 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 06, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
I do remember that quote but money speeks louder than words and the fact that all their handhelds have been home to countless jrpg games leads me not to put much weight onto that quote. 
As for DQX being the new FF7, I don't really see that happening but I'm looking at this moreso in Japans perspective.  FF7 was huge in that it was a massive success here in the states but in japan DQ is still king.  Having it release on WiiU can only bring do good in establishing a customer base for that particular genre.  Heck, I think its the best option for that task as no jrpg franchise is bigger than DQ.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
Heck, I think its the best option for that task as no jrpg franchise is bigger than DQ.

Final Fantasy would beg to differ.  Dragon Quest is only huge in Japan, whereas Final Fantasy has traditionally been a big deal worldwide.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:20 PM »
The last Dragon Quest game was a big success outside of Japan too, probably because Nintendo gave it a bigger marketing push that Square Enix had ever done with the previous games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »
Heck, I think its the best option for that task as no jrpg franchise is bigger than DQ.

Final Fantasy would beg to differ.  Dragon Quest is only huge in Japan, whereas Final Fantasy has traditionally been a big deal worldwide.

I was only speaking of Japan, not worldwide.  No Jrpg has worldwide impact anymore like FF7 did back in its time.  The western rpg has taken over most of the market outside of Japan.  At present time, the FF series has been ran through the ground and doesn't hold as much luster as it once did.  DQ releases are still a huge event in Japan though.  I'd even beg to argue that the Tales of series has surpassed FF in fan interest.  I know the Tales of series hasn't evolved much over the generations but I think that's what has helped it.  It is what it is and proud of it, a solid old school Jrpg. 

DQ will ensure WiiU success in Japan for Nintendo.  If Nintendo wants similar success in the west with the rpg crowd, it'll need to secure an exclusive Elder's Scroll as that is what I consider to be the western equivalent of DQ.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
If Nintendo wants similar success in the west with the rpg crowd, it'll need to secure an exclusive Elder's Scroll as that is what I consider to be the western equivalent of DQ.

That won't happen because each Elder Scroll's game takes years to make and they are primarily for PC anyway so being exclusive to a console just isn't going to happen. But in my opinion it would be good enough if the Wii U got a port of Skyrim, and really there isn't much reason why it shouldn't.
is your sanity...

Offline Mannypon

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 06, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
The WiiU controller alone begs for a port IMO.  Having a second screen to manage inventory, maps, quests, and assign interactive touch screen quick slots that you can scroll through and reach with your right thumb would totaly enhance Skyrim.

I'm really hoping a port is announced before the release of Skyrim so I can then hold off on my purchase.  I'd hate to get hours into it then to found out that a superior version will be released for the WiiU in another year give or take.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2011, 06:38:58 PM »
The Wii U needs exclusives to stand out.  I have no doubt it will get the third party support but getting multiplatform releases is not going to entice anyone who already owns a PS3 or Xbox 360 that can play the same games.  So the Wii U getting something like Dragon Quest as an exclusive (or more or less exclusives if we ignore the Wii version) is a feather in it's cap in Japan at least.

... unless the game is **** and this online nonsense doesn't fill me with confidence that it wont' be.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
Nintendo doesn't need exclusives. It needs every other game that is available on other consoles, available on its own. Nintendo already has exclusives; their called Nintendo IPs and they are awesome.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 06, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »
It needs exclusives, period.  Might as well get third party ones as well as first party.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »
3rd parties don't really make exclusives anymore. Nintendo will be fine as long as they get multiplatform games on the same day.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
it needs quality and quantity
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 06, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
If Wii U gets every multiplatform title, it'll get both quality and quantity by default. It just can't be viewed as inferior because it's not getting the same games as the competition.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
Not to mention Wii U will have the best version of multiplatform titles for at least a year, in terms of graphics. In terms of control, it could have the best version for years to come.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 06, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
Not to mention Wii U will have the best version of multiplatform titles for at least a year, in terms of graphics. In terms of control, it could have the best version for years to come.

Maybe.  I don't think we'll see a drastic difference in visual quality in the multiplatform titles.  3rd parties will want to keep the versions as similar as possible to keep costs down, just as they currently do when making PS3 and 360 titles.  If the Wii U gets any 3rd party exclusives, I think that's where we'll start seeing a major graphical upgrade.

As for Control, that's debatable.  Right now, I don't see the Wii U controller supplanting the Dualshock 3 or the Classic Controller Pro for me in terms of ease and comfort, which make all the difference when it comes to longer or more stressful games.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:34:15 PM by broodwars »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 07, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »
3rd parties don't really make exclusives anymore.

Two words:

Carnival. Games.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 07, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 08, 2011, 10:22:37 PM »
"The last Dragon Quest game was a big success outside of Japan too"

Falls down?  Where did you read that from?  It flopped like it always does outside Japan.  NoA spent millions in ads and had all kinds of promotions but the game didn't even break 1/4 million.  It's up to 1/2 million now thanks to a bunch of retailers dumping their stocks (IE DQIX was marked down to bargin bin prices like $10-15).

Some people blamed privacy for the low numbers in the West. 

The only RPG that sells well for Nintendo is it's own Mario RPG's and Pokemon.  At least stateside.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1196 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
"The last Dragon Quest game was a big success outside of Japan too"

Falls down?  Where did you read that from?  It flopped like it always does outside Japan.  NoA spent millions in ads and had all kinds of promotions but the game didn't even break 1/4 million.  It's up to 1/2 million now thanks to a bunch of retailers dumping their stocks (IE DQIX was marked down to bargin bin prices like $10-15).

Some people blamed privacy for the low numbers in the West. 

The only RPG that sells well for Nintendo is it's own Mario RPG's and Pokemon.  At least stateside.

LOL, not sure where you got your info from. As of March 3011, the game was at 1.02 million in North America and Europe (which is in no way a flop, and better than previous entries), and the game is still at full price BTW.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
And you think 1 million is alot for an AAA release when you combined two markets or take into fact the game's numbers are high due to people buying  the game on the cheap? 

Nintendo's not pleased with the numbers, like I said it was an loss for them considering the amount of ads the had for the game.

It did not break the Western market like Nintendo was hoping for. 

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1198 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
Most of the purchase (at least in North America) were NOT at any cheaper price. Nor have I seen any sign Nintendo was not happy with the numbers. The game has been pretty successful here. If anything, I think it did better hoped and a very good sign for them.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:09:10 PM by TJ Spyke »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 09, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
I'd also like to see some indication that Nintendo was not happy with Dragon Quest IX's sales. They went on to publish Dragon Quest VI, and will soon release Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, and have a Dragon Quest/Mario crossover in the works with Fortune Street. I don't think we'd see all of that if Nintendo were disappointed in DQIX sales.