Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1592743 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wii U
« Reply #1025 on: July 27, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
I hope that whatever the final internal memory size it, Nintendo doesn't restrict the size of downloads (like Microsoft used to do because of the concern for people without HDD's).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Too many ideas for Wii U Mario!
« Reply #1026 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
>
As it turns out, I have too many ideas at the moment for Mario games on Wii U," said Koizumi. "I'm going to have to start narrowing them down and thinking about which ideas might work well together so that the whole system will be an enjoyable experience rather than a hodgepodge of ideas.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16012

You know I really liked what they did with the pointer for gravity pulling and tongue lashing with Yoshi. If there is a new draw I can see them doing away with Yoshi for a while like after sunshine, or give him his own awesome game in 3d! I'd like some multiplayer 3D mario where mario has the pad and Yoshi uses a wiimote for tongue action, that would be fun!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:16:10 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »
I hope that whatever the final internal memory size it, Nintendo doesn't restrict the size of downloads (like Microsoft used to do because of the concern for people without HDD's).

Even if Nintendo doesn't make a file size restriction mandatory, if there is only 8gb of internal storage I fear that many 3rd parties would restrict the size anyway, even if they aren't required to do so by Nintendo.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1028 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
Maybe, but it doesn't seem to stop third parties on Xbox 360 even though some people don't own a HDD (it's a small minority, but they still exist and some do download DLC).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 01, 2011, 08:01:37 PM »
Maybe, but it doesn't seem to stop third parties on Xbox 360 even though some people don't own a HDD (it's a small minority, but they still exist and some do download DLC).

True, but a cheap flash drive works just as well as a hard drive for the 360.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1030 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »
And Nintendo already said the Wii U will support external hard drives (and SD cards), so it shouldn't be an issue for it either.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 01, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
Maybe this is what the rumors of 'The Cloud' are for? Streaming your game content.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
3DS Price drop to affect WiiU Launch?
« Reply #1032 on: August 03, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
Iwata: News on WiiU Price & Release date next year
Rebuilding the consumer trust is a priority (3DS price drop related)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-03-will-you-wait-for-a-wii-u-price-cut
"With regard to the influence on the Wii U, what we have to take most seriously is that the price markdown could damage the trust of the consumers who bought the Nintendo 3DS just after the launch,"

"I feel greatly accountable for it. Our decision of the price markdown this time has a side effect that, at the launch of the Wii U, people may feel that the price might drop in the near future if they wait.

"Nevertheless, we have decided to cut down the price of the Nintendo 3DS as we consider it as a necessary decision now."

"What we will be able to do to recover the consumers' trust before the launch of the Wii U is very important to us,"

"Since the Wii U we showed you at the E3 show in June was still in the development phase without very specific proposals on the software titles, we are going to announce the release date and the price next year when we are able to explain the specific proposals. Anyway, the biggest influence is on our consumers' trust, I think."

3DS is probably the least enthusiastic Nintendo purchase I've ever made, but I am still very excited for WiiU.
If WiiU delivers on it's potential outside of gaming, and comes close to doing most of the things we heard it will do for gaming, then it will easily be a Day 1 purchase for me as long as it's under $350 (and seems worth it hardware wise).

A major bullet point for them to hit amongst gamers and non-gamers alike to get them to pick up their WiiU controller everyday, or atleast leave it out on the coffee table in the living room, would be to trump the Logitech Harmony Tablet Remotes and pack in some universal remote software, then also have TV guide/cable box controls displayed on the screen.

You prove value through the provided software, and that would be a BIG thing to advertise to everyone (IMO).
If Nintendo could have invested in Netflix and pushed for a 3D movie service to get started and have it exclusive to the 3DS for the first year, then that would have been a major reason to get a 3DS at the current price.

But I am very glad that Iwata is aware that he needs to show us what the WiiU can do when he announces the price so that we feel that the price is worth it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:41:05 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 03, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
I don't think people are going to be waiting for a 3DS-esque price cut on the Wii U unless Nintendo is stupid and arrogant enough to overcharge on it like they did the 3DS, and I don't think after the 3DS disaster that they will.  If they price the Wii U at a price that people will buy it at with a launch lineup of games people want, I don't think they'll see an epidemic of folks waiting for a lower price.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 03, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I really hope Nintendo launches at $250 with a free downloadable game. I know it's probably not going to happen, but if they did and still maybe a tiny profit, it would sell like the Wii all over again.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: August 03, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
I would expect WiiU to have games built in ala 3DS.  Probably the E3 tech demos or similar.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
I have never owned an HD system, so as far as games go I am still stuck in 2006. I have missed every single game released since that year for the Ps3 and 360. This is one reason why I want a Wii U because I can finally have a piece of the HD pie, so to speak. However, the chances of third parties rerealeasing their older HD titles onto the Wii U seems slim, so what would be good is if Nintendo partnered with Valve and other companies to allows the older pre-Wii U HD games to be released on Steam and ready for download onto the Wii U. Sony already does this with their PS Store, so why not Nintendo?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 03, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
Or you could just buy an Xbox 360. Don't use the excuse that it costs too much because there are tons of way to save up extra spending cash: Open a lemonade stand, go to a sperm bank, hook on a seedy street corner. That's 3 right there.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 03, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »

I think nintendo leaving the hard drive part for the consumer to decide if they want one fine if not fine too, i rather purchase a hard drive for my own, than having something like microsoft did with the xbox by charging like 60 dollars for a 20 gig HD, when for that amount you can get one in best buy with four times the memory size, plus not includind a HD lowers the manufacturing cost.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 03, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
Or you could just buy an Xbox 360. Don't use the excuse that it costs too much because there are tons of way to save up extra spending cash: Open a lemonade stand, go to a sperm bank, hook on a seedy street corner. That's 3 right there.

I would pay $19.99 for a downloadable version of Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space 2 for the Wii U.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 03, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
That's great and everything but since you most likely won't be able to download them on Wii U, you should just buy that Xbox 360.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
That's great and everything but since you most likely won't be able to download them on Wii U, you should just buy that Xbox 360.

Nintendo might have the idea of bring Steam to the Wii U in order to appease third parties in some manner.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:14 PM »
You gotta pay to play online on the xbox. Best just wait for the Wii U instead.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:40 AM »
He wants to download games that will most likely never come to Wii U in any form (download or retail) and you're telling him to wait for Wii U because it costs money to play online. Right. That makes sense.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 04, 2011, 12:49:30 AM »
He wants to download games that will most likely never come to Wii U in any form (download or retail) and you're telling him to wait for Wii U because it costs money to play online. Right. That makes sense.

I disagree about those games never coming to the Wii U. Mass Effect 2 was a 360 exclusive for over a year and it surprised many when EA brought it over to the PS3, but my point is that it happened so it can happen on the Wii U. Maybe its not soemthing you should count on happening as a certainty, but its certainly a possibility, and a very good one at that.

But I think more likely Mass Effect 3 which comes out at the end of this year is a more likely candidate for the Wii U. If Mass Effect 3 is out, you probably aren't going to care about ME2 anyway. Another thing they could do is bundle ME2 on the ME3 disc. Since the Wii U's discs are supposed to be able to hold 25gb there would certainly be enough room for both to be bundled, but knowing EA they would probably charge you for the unlock even though its already on the disc....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:51:35 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 04, 2011, 01:14:24 AM »
If you think someone would stop caring about Mass Effect 2 once Mass Effect 3 is coming out, you clearly don't know anything about the series. It's really meant to be played in order, transferring your character from the first to the second to the third. I'm not sure why they bothered to make 2 for PS3 without being able to do the first, but it would be even stupider to start with the third one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
If you think someone would stop caring about Mass Effect 2 once Mass Effect 3 is coming out, you clearly don't know anything about the series. It's really meant to be played in order, transferring your character from the first to the second to the third. I'm not sure why they bothered to make 2 for PS3 without being able to do the first, but it would be even stupider to start with the third one.

Indeed.  There really is no point whatsoever in bringing Mass Effect 3 to the Wii U, and you shouldn't want them to.  This is a series whose entire foundation is a continuing story arc where you create your own path through the choices you make from game to game, where are imported as you go along.  It'd be like going to see Return of the King without having seen Fellowship of the Ring or Two Towers, or seeing Return of the Jedi without having seen A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
unless you could transfer your data to the internet and from the internet to the wii u, oh yeah and in Shenmue 1 to 2 you could do that, but because i didnt know I started a whole new file like every other game and it didnt bother me one bit, ok maybe just a little bit, but i ended up in the same zone anyhow.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:25 AM »

That sounds a bit like not being able to watch Toy Story 3 because you haven't watched 1 and 2. I'm sure you can watch the 3rd without seeing the first two and still enjoy it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1049 on: August 04, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »
I think Nintendo needs to re-evaluate the touch screen and make it multi-touch. Sony is starting to dilute the effect of Nintendo's announcement with them throwing out bits about the Vita. They also need to incorporate the Vitality sensor into pads on the controller. But market it so it doesn't sound like something grandma uses to make sure she is still alive.