Author Topic: Killer7 No Longer GameCube Exclusive  (Read 8935 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Killer7 No Longer GameCube Exclusive
« on: January 29, 2004, 07:33:47 PM »
That's basically all there is to it.

Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/killer7/main/e_news.html

When Capcom basically stunned the gaming media and announced Viewtiful Joe, Dead Phoenix, PN03, Killer7 and Resident Evil 4 exclusively for the GameCube a while back, questions began to rise about just how exclusive these titles would be.  Well, after the (supposed) cancellation of Dead Phoenix, Vanessa Z. Schneider's not-so-hot game, and the successful but low-flying Viewtiful Joe, a lot more questions about Capcom's decision arose.

The next game in the Production Studio 4 line, Killer7, won't be open to the same questions, as Capcom has posted a notice on their Japanese site simply stating that, while the GameCube version of the game is still going on as planned, the game will also be released for the PlayStation 2.

However, no release timeframe for the PS2 version was mentioned, meaning the GC version of Killer7 still might be exclusive to Nintendo for a little while.  Either way, it's one less game Nintendo has in its lineup that gamers would require a GameCube to play.

Despite the exclusivity loss of Killer7, Capcom continues to insist that Resident Evil 4 is and will stay exclusive to the GameCube, which should be released before the end of the year is up.

Thanks to Berto2K for the heads-up!
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Killer7 No Longer GameCube Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 08:08:05 PM »
I've never been terribly interested of Killer 7 before, so this really couldn't mean much less to me.  It hasn't really been hyped up all that much, really, so I dobut that it wouldn't have done as well as a Gamecube exclusive.  It makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint - a new franchise should obiviously be on the console with the largest fanbase, which would increase the number of early adopters, more sales, and then, increase the chances of seeing a sequel to the game.

However, this hopefully doesn't apply to Resident Evil 4.  It's the game that people are really interested in right now, it seems, and considering that Nintendo has a deal going with Capcom to keep the Resident Evil titles exclusive (most likely by forking over a large sum of cash) and because it already has a large fanbase from the previous two Resident Evil games on the 'Cube, it makes much more sense to keep it exclusive for now.  Another problem would be the graphics - we all know how amazing this thing looks, and the PS2 simply could not handle such a thing without being toned down - and that would hurt the game, seeing as how one of the major appealing factors in the first place is the graphics of the game.

I'm glad that they're keeping it on Nintendo, though, even if it's not exclusive.  After all, we're assuming that it was originally planned for it, so it makes sense to not scrap all of the work done in favour of the PS2 version; big waste of money there.  I don't think that it was really going to be a system-selling title in the first place - more of a game to hold off the Resident Evil fans while they await eagerly for the new installation in the series.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
RE:Killer7 No Longer GameCube Exclusive
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 08:37:55 PM »

When Capcom basically stunned the gaming media and announced Viewtiful Joe, Dead Phoenix, PN03, Killer7 and Resident Evil 4 exclusively for the GameCube a while back, questions began to rise about just how exclusive these titles would be.

And those questions were answered. Shinji Mikami said that RE4 was exclusive, but none of the others were. Because Capcom broke the "spirit" of the RE contract he signed, and found a loophole allowing them to make RE games exclusively for Sony, despite Mikami's opposition, so Mikami apparently doesn't trust Capcom to honor anything he signs anymore.

However, Mikami said that these games were not going to appear on the PS2, ever, if he had anything at all to say about it. I believe he said they would have to cut his head off first.

I'm waiting to see what Mikami's reaction to this announcement is.

When we last heard from him, I believe he was saying publicly that he wanted to be put to work on a game licence that was 100% controlled by Nintendo, not Capcom, like Sega and Namco are doing with F-Zero and Starfox. This helped fuel some of those rumors that Dead Phoenix was being converted into a Kid Icarus series rebirth title.

I'm expecting that his next step is to quit Capcom in protest. And quite likely, go to work for Nintendo.

Sony can have a cheap port of Killer 7. Seriously. Nobody minds. We want Shinji Mikami now though. That's a fair trade, right?
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Armed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 08:46:50 PM »
yup sounds fair to me
If you like to read comics click below
**My cousin made it, pretty cool**
"Bilaran Wars"-Click Me

Offline Pod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 10:12:37 PM »
Well well, I'm certainly looking forward to Killer7, it looks really spectacular. Tying this announcement to Mikami san leaving Capcom and joining Nintendo, I'd say, is a rather speculative assumption though. Not that I wouldn't like to see it happen, but Shinji Mikami should be whereever he feels able to make the best games.

He's probably going to join HAL in place of Kirby creator Masahiro Sakurai, and give us the dark, mature Kirby's Killfest we've been waiting for! Or Super Smash Bros. with blood.
Nintendo games are like a well made cheese in a lot of ways.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 10:59:45 PM »
I have no idea whether Killer 7 will be actually worth my money or not, so far it doesn't look very appealing to me, but meh, i haven't played it and don't know how it plays, but it certainly is not getting much hype, i don't know where some people get that from. This announcement means very little, the game will most likely be out on GCN first, and by the time it's out on PS2 nobody will care.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 11:26:13 PM »
The only two out of those 5 games that will do well so far are Viewtiful Joe, and most likely Resident Evil 4.
I don't know how well Killer 7 will do, since what mario said about it is basically true - we don't know what it's about, we haven't played it, and really, I've not heard any hype for it at all besides here at PGC (or lack thereof).
I am looking forward to it, but if the fact that it's coming to PS2 means that the PS2 version gets the better deal (as most PS2 to GC, and in some cases GC to PS2 games), then I won't be buying it.
I AM intruiged by the game however.

GC SHOULD get the better end of the stick with this game, however, or else we'll only 'really' have 3 of the Capcom 5.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 02:50:10 AM »
killer 7 has a lot of potential for me. my purchase will depend of reviews though.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 03:30:16 AM »
What I said about VFQ holds true here as well: As long as they don't cripple the GC version's graphics in favour of the PS2 I don't care.
It would be REALLY funny if they announced it for PS2 to spark interest and pull support in the last minute. That'd get PS2 owners REALLY angry.

Searanox: Except for RE4 none of the 5 make sense in marketing. They are low-cost games that aren't even expected to sell well (evident by the size of VJ's initial shipment). Mikami probably just wanted to have some fun, try out ideas, etc. It's more a testing of waters than anything else.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 04:01:18 AM »
I would love to hear that Shinji Mikami left capcom for Nintendo, think about it a game by both Mikami and Miyamato:D

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 04:12:23 AM »
Ive read Mikami wants to fix the Devil may Cry franchise, i sincerely doubt he leaves for Nintendo.

This Killer 7 news is troubling, because it was the most hyped game of the new series that Capcom created. It was a cool mature game, that could have pused Gamecubes. Now PS2 owners have one less reason to buy a Gamecube. Nintendos Third Party Support is extremely weak and needs a serious shot in the arm, if it wants to change things by N5

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 05:45:03 AM »
I may just spite Capcom and not buy the game.  I hate it when a company says a game is exclusive and then either cancells the GCN version or puts it on another console as well.  I was going to get Driver 3, D&D Heroes, but after the GCN versionw as cancelled I refused to buy the PS2 or Xbox versions just out of spite.  Killer 7 may be coming out still for GCN, but the idea that we are getting something different and special is gone.  RE4 is under contract from what I understand so that is GCN only, so the other games can go whereever.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Olpus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 05:46:24 AM »
So, the Gamecube are going to fail?
Nintendo: the best videogame and playing cards company in the world.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 05:59:30 AM »
This kind of sucks.  I mean we still get Killer 7 so that's good but the loss of exclusivity is a bummer.  It's not really our fault either.  While I don't know what VJ's sales are any low sales of PN 03 for example are Capcom's fault.  THEY made the game suck so thus THEY killed its sales.  That's how it works with the Cube userbase.

I figure we don't have to worry about scaled back graphics.  They designed Killer 7 for the Cube first and I figure they'll continue in that direction.  The PS2 version will be a port.  Odds are it will even come out later.  If the PS2 version is released later then the Cube will still benefit if the game is really popular.  Limited exclusives (ie: nearly every major Xbox game) can be just as good as full exclusives provided the game is an immediate hit.

As for Shinji Mikami it sounds to me like he doesn't like the corporate BS at Capcom.  That makes perfect sense since Capcom is the king of milking franchises for all they're worth which would naturally piss off creative developers.  Nintendo would be a pretty good fit for Mikami since he would be allowed much more creative freedom, he wouldn't have to worry about ports, and he wouldn't have to see his creations be farmed off to someone else for endless sequel making.  Nintendo could also use him since his mature style is a stark contrast to Miyamoto's family-friendly style and having two completely different developers working at Nintendo would cover more genres and demographics.  However he might not leave because if he does he completely loses control of Resident Evil and all his other creations owned by Capcom.

Offline jaz013

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 07:03:47 AM »
Exclusive or not, I'm still interested in this game. The "exclusivity" doesn't really means nothing to me, except perhaps that i'm the only one in my block playing that game.
“Stultorum infinitus est numerus” (El número de tontos es infinito. The number of fools is infinitum)-Eclesiastés, I, 15.

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »
F*#K!! Killer 7 looked nuts and a reason for ps2 and xbox owners to pick up the cube. This sucks. this just freaking sucks.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 09:40:04 AM »
I don't know what the hell's wrong with Capcom anymore. 2 years ago, if asked what my favorite game company was, I'd have answered Capcom without hesitation. Then they pretty much gave up on some of my favorite series (Where's Street Fighter IV's amazing 2-D glory, Capcom? I want another incredible fighting game from you guys), or cancelled what could have been awsome games (Dead Phoenix, Red Dead Revolver, which Rockstar has picked up at least), or releasing dissapointing new games or sequels (Megaman X 7 and P.N. 03 spring immediately to mind, and even Resident Evil 0 wasn't nearly as good as the remake of RE1).
I'm actually finding myself playing more games from American game companies than from Japanese companies lately (and up until a year and a half ago, I'd never owned more than 1 game from an American company, and that was Rogue Leader).
As for Killer 7, I'm really interested in it. It has a very striking visual style and the trailers have piqued my curiosity. If it plays well, I'll be very happy...if it turns into another P.N. 03, I'll probably abandon all non-Street Fighter and RE games from Capcom (unless they do another Viewtiful Joe...that game was awsome).
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »
I had a feeling Capcom would weasel out of this deal.  First it was the make RE Outbreak (not a true sequel but still Resident Evil) and now this.  Capcom is disappointing me.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 10:48:13 AM »
I will simply file this under the who gives a crap catagory. I have never cared who made the game, or what system it is on, if I like it I will buy it.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »
Some people do give a crap (i.e. me) because it is never good news when a company makes a huge deal about pledging support, then backs out of it.  To me, it is forshadowing Capcom dropping most of the little support they've given Nintendo thus far (and since I only own a Cube, that's bad news).
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Inkwell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 12:35:06 PM »
....I kinda expecting this. Well to me it makes sense.
Nintendo = Old News  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 01:55:20 PM »
I agree with cubedcanuck.  Who cares?  I may not get this game, depending on how it turns out, but for now it has my interest, and it not being exclusive could matter less to me.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 03:18:42 PM »
Capcom's been keeping this title out of the public eye, similiar to RE 4. While the RE series has its legacy to fall back on,  keeping mum on its sequels works to salivate even more. The few blips we do get, we eat it up.

For Killer 7, no such luck. Capcom did state that there was a chance that its lineup wasn't %100  exclusive, but I think we shook that off, going "Nah, they won't port it..."

I'm dissapointed though; if we demanded a port of Devil May Cry or Maximo, Capcom would laugh it up. This lack of confidence from Capcom  makes me shake my head.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 04:35:04 PM »
Well atleast Cube and PS2 are Capcom's top developing platforms.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »
I'm not surprised about this at all.  Capcom is like every other company, they want to maximise profits.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have Killer 7 exclusive, but look on the bright side, we are still getting it, and developed for the GC from the ground up.