Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 347569 times)

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2006, 07:48:38 PM »
Trailer comments.... Best part is when they're updating the characters from SSB:M in the beginning and Kirby has a slightly look on his face after he doesn't change (what's to change )... I love it!  lot of hints given, SSB item for massive combos (or if your a sony rep... MASSIVE DAMAGE!! :p) ... Nintendogs item that obstructs the screen - brilliant!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
OH GOD

THE VIDEO!

THE MUSIC, is with choirs and all...

Im going to cry T_T
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2006, 07:51:30 PM »
Link's Triforce combo special looks wickedly awesome!
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2006, 07:55:12 PM »
This is definitely one game I don't want to live without.  From reading the bit about the music, I think Nobuo Uematsu is only doing the theme to the game.  Still awesome though.

That story on how Masahiro Sakurai came to be director of the game, it seems he made a lot of sacrifices to do this game.  The fact that Eiji Aonuma's words to him are what convinced him is pretty amazing.  I'm glad he decided to do it because I agree that it would have lost some part of its soul if he was not a part of it.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2006, 07:59:42 PM »

Ok, so for my senior year, I'm having 2 study halls and PEIII just so I have time to play my Wii (after the football season). I'll also have to put my social life off for another year. . .

meh, social life, who needs that, my friends are going to think I died (unless they get a Wii too, so I can kick their @sses)  
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2006, 07:59:47 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6150506&pid=928518

"The next questioner raised a major issue, asking if Super Smash Bros. Brawl would support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Sakurai said his team will try to take the game online, but he thinks it would be a hard to make four-player online work."

they'd better.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
My nephews were raised on Super Smash Bros. Melee...and they were here to watch the trailer with me...they jumped up and down and threw high-fives all over the room.  It's hard putting them to bed when they're this excited.  I'd have to say that Nintendo definitely came through.  Although, this trailer would've been best served to end their press conference.  Nintendo has definitely kicked some ass and taken some names this year.  

Two words:  KILLER APP!!!  

NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2006, 08:01:30 PM »

Originally posted by: cubist
Two words:  KILLER APP!!!

Oh hell yeah, say it again! I have never been this excited about a game before, as I am for SSBB.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »
If they'd put it at the end of the presentation no one would have cared for the other games today.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2006, 08:05:57 PM »
Oh wow.  Wow wow.
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow.

I friggin said it.  So many times.
This is. . . I didn't think E3 could get any better, even if they did reveal Smash Bros.  This exceeds expectations.  As usual, they thought of everything.

I was originally opposed to 3rd party characters, but I love the way they incorporated Snake.  Classic Nintendo humor, while still maintaining his character.  He fit surprisingly well.  It's actually reassuring, to see these characters seem to work so well together.  I like the idea of game characters (especially Nintendo and others) and gamers getting along together (even if they are technically fighting in the game, it's good-humored, friend-like fighting ).

Best news.  I loved the trailer, it was awesome.
Nintendo is king.  That's all there is to it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline cubist

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2006, 08:07:24 PM »
That's true.  Just about ready to load that trailer on to my iPod so I can watch it on the showfloor tomorrow morning.  I didn't get to go today as planned...like some of us here...work beckons...but I'll be there bright and early tomorrow.  Doors open at 9am.  
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »
The best part is when you see Samus come down and start charging up and then BOOM she pwns the n00bs.  Ownage to the max.

Those combos look exceedling sick, Kirby boiling Mario, that Tri Force combo guarantees me playing as Link in this game and Marios fire balls look like a combination of Ho Ohs attack and Raikous from SSBM.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2006, 08:30:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
"Under the direction of series creator Masahiro Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will feature two control modes: motion-controlled and classic, GameCube-style combat. That means players who prefer to play the game with the traditional control setup can do so using the GameCube controller they're already accustomed to while the new motion control adds a new dimension previously not available in fighting games."

Where did that quote come from, most sites still say it is GC controller only.

James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
You know, I think they would have an easier time getting two players at one site and two at another.  Three at one one at another.
The less sites the less badwidth.  

I kind of hope for that.  If I wanted to play with one friend online and the 2 others that live in town at once, I wouldn't want to have to have 4 Wiis.
It is more of a lag issue, getting everything to work in an intricately balanced game that has a lot of focus on timing.

I love the Nintendog blocking the screen.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:07 PM »
Oh my god, that trailer is insane. Wow. Why did they hold this back?
"wow."

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2006, 08:34:14 PM »
The only problem I can see is that, since you can use the GCN controller also, the motion control won't be used to its full potential. I wanted a completely redesigned scheme which advanced the game further, but as it stands, the motion controls may seem tacked on. And if they are truly different than the traditional controls, which control scheme will have the advantage during fights?

However, the rest is unbelievable..

Jim: You said "wow"
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2006, 08:42:45 PM »

Originally posted by: BigJim
Oh my god, that trailer is insane. Wow. Why did they hold this back?

They might have been afraid that if they showed SSBB at the press conference, people would assum it was playable, and then burn down the convention center the next day when there was no SSBB station.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2006, 08:44:32 PM »
That's what I was thinking, I don't know if they would tack on the motion controls.  If that is the case I would think the Wii controller would have an advantage.  You may be able to dodge or run faster.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2006, 08:53:18 PM »
im thinking smash attacks and special attacks will be mapped to the motion controller. moving would be done with the analog and maybe dodging with the nanchuku(tilt left or right maybe.  I cant wait.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »
I'm thinking they could push new characters/content to you, while you sleep...

This game is set up to be modular like that... new levels, new characters, new trophies... hmmmmm  

Edit: Avatar change for a week, b/c of this announcement.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »
I think they didn't show this at the conference because that was more of a mainstream thing, they invited lots of mainstream media who likely wouldn't have cared about Smash Bros.

Man, this is so freaking sweet. I'm watching the trailer over and over again.

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »
I have to admit, most of Melee, as of late, has been 2 player.  The fact that they have that up and going now, is awesome news.  If they can get 4, it's butter, but not deal breaker.

The new video though absolutely kicks, can't wait.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2006, 09:07:03 PM »

Originally posted by: MattVDB
I have to admit, most of Melee, as of late, has been 2 player.  The fact that they have that up and going now, is awesome news.  If they can get 4, it's butter, but not deal breaker.

If they can't get 4 people playing over Wifi to work, hopefully they can at least get 2 people on Wifi with the rest as bots if people want, so at least the field is full for those who like it that way.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2006, 10:21:24 PM »
GOOD GOD MAN! HOLY SMOKES AND GADZOOKS! This truely tops off E3 like nothing else could, well maybe if Nights ever shows up. But I mean sheash, the graphics look wonderfull, the new characters and special attacks looks soooo  amazing I just... It amazes me how games get me so emotionaly driven, and I thought for sure we would all be dissapointed by no appearance of Smash at all. 3rd Party characters will no doubt drawn in a new crowd, Solid Snake?! There is no way that Sonic won't appear on this, especialy with Nintendo of Japan taking in suggestions from the public as to who they would like to see in the game.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2006, 10:25:28 PM »
How awesome!! Please let Wind Waker Link and Tetra be in this also!!