Author Topic: SNK to Develop for Wii  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
SNK to Develop for Wii
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:56:25 PM »
SNK and Nintendo, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-wii.

According to IGN, SNK has hopped on-board the Wii train after a long absence from Nintendo consoles. The first title on the block will be Metal Slug Anthology, a collection of classic Metal Slug titles. Fortunately, they won't just be straight ports; they're being enhanced to play with the Wii's innovative controller. SNK Playmore USA Corporation president Ben Herman had this to say on the subject:    

"Fans worldwide have been looking forward to our return to Nintendo platforms and what better way then to bring our complete Metal Slug arcade collection to Wii. The Wii controller will be used in a new and unique way that enhances the gameplay. Our fans have demanded that we support Nintendo platforms. Let the celebration begin."    

More on the title is expected to be revealed at E3 where, IGN reports, the game is supposed to be playable. Until then, let's all take Ben Herman's advice and get this party afloat; SNK is back on a Nintendo console!

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: SNK to Develop for Wii
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 04:11:15 PM »
Cool.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:20 PM »
SUPPORT GET
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:18:10 PM »
This whole Wii situation is very odd. Companies who used to give Nintendo the royal screw-job (Konami, Tecmo, SNK) are on-board for their new console pretty much out of nowhere, but the old stand-by developers like Capcom and Namco have hardly commented. Very odd, indeed. I can only hope the latter are simply waiting to unveil their projects, but it's still very encouraging to see former turncoats revive their loyalties.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Michael8983

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:SNK to Develop for Wii
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »
Metal Slug is awesome but are these just regular ports with Wii-mote capabilities added or will they be remade with Wii-level graphics as well?

Anyway, the Wii and SNK could be a perfect match. Finally a console that lends itself to SNK's unconventional arcade-style titles.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »
K-i-s-s-i-n-wii..

hahah I'm still laughing Karl.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 04:35:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
Metal Slug is awesome but are these just regular ports with Wii-mote capabilities added or will they be remade with Wii-level graphics as well?

Does it matter? If it's just a regular port, then it's not impressive at all and doesn't count as support... if it's added graphics, then it's all about why companies can't leave classics well enough alone.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 05:24:11 PM »
Cool. XBOX exclusive (last gen) to Nintendo!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
SNK and Nintendo. Nice. Now if they can announce that they'll have their Neo-Geo titles for the virtual console, we'd be set.

I know somebody at SNK is thinking about an exclusive, Samurai Shodown game. C'mon now, its begging for it...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »
I'd cry tears of joy if any KoF/Fatal Fury/SamSho games came to Wii.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
King of the Monsters damnit.  "It's only a matter of time until they attack the radio station!"

All these developers jumping on the Revolution Express... They must see opportunity.
"wow."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 05:52:51 PM »
"SNK and Nintendo, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-wii."

That is why the Wii name rocks so much
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 06:08:41 PM »
sparkling innovation PORT GET
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 06:15:50 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
sparkling innovation PORT GET

Oh, quit yer bitchin.  SNK is -finally- showing some Nintendo lovin' and I won't let you do anything to bring me down.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 06:41:18 PM »
about time
I love SNK games and I've always been disappointed that they didn't support the GameCube. Glad to see they will be supporting the Revolution.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline silverwings07

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
Nice!  I hope this means that we'll see old SNK games on the Virtual Console. *crosses fingers for Crystalis*

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
This whole Wii situation is very odd. Companies who used to give Nintendo the royal screw-job (Konami, Tecmo, SNK) are on-board for their new console pretty much out of nowhere, but the old stand-by developers like Capcom and Namco have hardly commented. Very odd, indeed. I can only hope the latter are simply waiting to unveil their projects, but it's still very encouraging to see former turncoats revive their loyalties.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason Namco and Capcom haven't said anything about their support is because chances are that they are working closely with Nintendo, so they forced them to stay silent till E3 or after E3.

Considering how close Namco is to Nintendo it will be surprising if they have nothing for the Wii.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 07:13:19 PM »
Karl, that pun was so bad that I'm sure it killed a kitten.

As for the news, the more the merrier.

I wonder how devs feel about the new name...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
...but the old stand-by developers like Capcom and Namco have hardly commented.

Namco better damn be onboard, I'm hooked on their RPGs like no other...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 07:53:12 PM »

I wonder how devs feel about the new name...

I hear that, after hearing the name, most devs decided to cancel all Rev/Wii games that weren't far into development.

edit: anyway, always good to hear about old Nintendo non-supporters deciding to come around. Nintendo's new system seems to have everyone excited.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 08:22:46 PM »
Two words: Baseball Stars

GIMME SUM!!

Also, when they mentioned the entire Metal Slug arcade series, I was thinking more along the lines of Virtual Console.....if Ninty could sew up MVS/AVS roms for the VC, THAT would be MY killer app!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
Sounds cool except for one problem.

"these games have been enhanced to take full advantage of Wii's innovative free-hand style controller, which translates gestures made by players into on-screen movement."

Sounds lame as hell.  These games were made for digital input and using gestures is going to be g!mmicky and clunky.  Hopefully that's just an option and we can play them the way they were meant to be played as well.  Though I think it would probably be more worth SNK's while to have Neo-Geo games for the download service.  It seems kind of odd to go with ports instead.

Still it's good to see SNK supporting a Nintendo console.  The last time they did that to my recollection was on the Super Nintendo.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »
Who's to say that it isn't on the VC, and that it isn't going to be downloadable?

Offline Knoxxville

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 08:54:38 PM »
1st of all, smarty-pants, try this link for size:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/704/704020p1.html

2nd of all, if it's gonna have wiimote specific control configs, then it obviously isn't going to be VC, as it's not just an old rom waiting to be downloaded anymore.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
"SNK and Nintendo, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-wii."

That is why the Wii name rocks so much

argh, and thats why I hate it, I dont get the damn pun ¬_¬

So why should we be excited about Metal Slug? is it good? I heard its like contra which I liked but not that much.

The more the better I guess, but I want my Okami for the console please.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro