Author Topic: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive  (Read 162577 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Epic Mickey - Wii Exclusive
« Reply #525 on: September 15, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
Hmm but isn't that Oswald in the video and not Mickey. I wonder why they have Oswald there?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
Hmm but isn't that Oswald in the video and not Mickey. I wonder why they have Oswald there?

Considering the stained-glass window in the intro cinematic showing Oswald crowned King, it's probably meant to be Oswald's Kingdom of Forgotten Disney Stuff.  Earlier Game Informer interviews also mention Oswald shaping his kingdom to look similar to the real Disneyland, though he only gets glimpses so he gets stuff wrong (this was their explanation for the Robot Donald and Goofy).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2010, 01:19:09 AM »
Pause it at 30 seconds.I think that is a statue of Walt Disney.

Yeah, it's the famous statue of Disney and Mickey holding hands that's in the middle of the central Hub at every Disneyland/Magic Kingdom Park.

As for the game, the gameplay impressions I've been seeing lately haven't been encouraging, the story doesn't seem to resemble its original (interesting) incarnation, and the visuals aren't coming off well in the videos I've seen.  I'll probably be waiting for reviews or Christmas for this one.

Personally, I think the art direction and concept are great, but the storyline and gameplay I've seen don't follow through with those concepts well enough.  That's just me. The statue in the video is at the center of some of the game's promotional/marketing art we snapped close-ups at E3, it's definitely going to be given some game-time spot-light, in the least.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
If what gets released is anything like what we saw at E3, I agree.  Great concepts, not so great execution.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
That's too bad, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be the case.  Just based on the style alone, I think I'd like to purchase this, but, if the execution isn't so great, then I'll probably wait until the price drops significantly.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
The Spoony One had his say on this game in his PAX coverage. Wasn't blow away from the sounds of it. Game looks good, i'll give it that, but Goldeneye, Epic Yarn and DKC Returns are looking to be more deserving of my spending dollars.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »
Gametrailers has posted some new videos, one of the Haunted Mansion location and one of "Mean Street" (yes, Specter, we see what you did there!).  Wow, it's amazing looking back over previous pages in this thread about how excited we all were for this game, because the more videos I see of this game the less interested I am in it.  With these two latest videos, it's pretty clear that this is Banjo-Kazooie with a slice of Super Mario Sunshine and a dash of Infamous' goofy moral choice system.  At this point, I wish they had never released that awesome concept art and early story details, because this game looks nothing like it.  Why couldn't they have released artwork and trailers emphasizing the Mary Blair art style early on, which is clearly the dominant look for this game?  I could have gotten behind that back then, but now my expectations are set for a game that probably never existed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:01:31 AM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
I'm still pretty excited for Epic Mickey. The lack of voice acting is the only thing I'm disappointed in. Warren Specter is a great designer and he's very passionate about the source material. I don't expect EM to be super-fantastic-wow, but it should be a good game and isn't that what Wii owners have been clamoring for? I'm getting the impression that a lot of Wii owners are going to pass on this, but will be all pissed off if a PS3 version is made. Yes, even the people who don't buy the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:30 AM »
I'm still excited for it because I'm holding out hope that the end package will be awesome. Though I wonder if Disney execs had a heavier hand in altering/censoring the title than has been let on? Though in the end it feels like we're having our own version of 'Fable Letdown'. Lots was promised but little of those lofty goals could actually be achieved with the current tech. It'll still sell though. It is a Disney-Mickey titles after all.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
I don't have much experience with Disney, so I'm wondering how much this game will have to offer someone like me. If the gameplay is fun then it should still be worthwhile, plus the concept sounds a bit similar to an idea I once had so that could make it interesting too.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #536 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »
This guy says the game is "pretty damn fun." I'm thinking about picking up this game when it comes out, but I'll be sure to read the reviews. If it's supposely "ok" but not "great," then I'll wait a while, like I did with Elebits.

http://gamerant.com/epic-mickey-preview-demo-riley-46405/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:32:02 PM by ThomasO »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 22, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Wii Epic Mickey Paintbrush Nunchuk
« Reply #538 on: October 23, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
I was browsing on Amazon and I came across this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Epic-Mickey-Paintbrush-Nunchuk-Nintendo/dp/B0040XZJJK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287808615&sr=8-3

It has the same price as the regular Nunchuk and works the same, so if you were looking for an extra nunchuk and think it would be cool to have a novelty paintbrush looking one then this might be worth checking out I guess.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Epic Mickey Paintbrush Nunchuk
« Reply #539 on: October 23, 2010, 01:57:49 AM »
Disney makes a special Epic Mickey Controller for Wii
http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/19/pdp-and-disney-team-for-tron-and-epic-mickey-controllers.aspx

(also some pretty bad-ass TRON controllers for all 3 systems)

Freaking awesome! I want the Charge stand and the Tron controller. I'll give the brush nunchuck to my little sister.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Wii Epic Mickey Paintbrush Nunchuk
« Reply #540 on: October 23, 2010, 06:11:51 AM »
Actually, that Tron remote is pretty cool looking. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »
I have no interest in the Tron game, but I would love to have that Wii Remote, it's just so sci-fi looking.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »
Warren Spector was the guest slot on the 11/05/10 edition of In This Thread podcast.  I just thought it was notable that he stated that Oswald was, in fact, the villain of the game in it's original concept (~20 minutes in).  Apparently, John Lasseter (of Pixar) was the person who talked him out of it, seemingly because the game was sort of a homecoming for a character that hadn't been owned by Disney in 80+ years.

I think I won't be able to resist getting this game, just for the presentation.  Apparently the composer of the game was the guy who did the music for Pushing Daisies, which is another series I love. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:34:41 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 12, 2010, 04:21:20 AM »
John Lasseter is a wise man. He is the Eisner of this era's Disney. Hopefully he doesn't go mad down the road and start scrapping complete departments. Lasseter pretty much runs Disney at this point.

I had always envisioned Oswald like Darth Vader. Under the influence of Palpatine but then comes around to the good side.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 12, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
Stratos, you'll be happy to know that, during the interview, Spector teased his desire to do a DuckTales game yet again.  Please, Disney, let this happen.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »
Call me crazy, but I feel like I would much rather Warren Spector work on something original than another Disney project after Epic Mickey.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 12, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
Apparently the composer of the game was the guy who did the music for Pushing Daisies, which is another series I love. 
Goodness, win! I believe I will applaud your comment. Have a nice day.

I was hoping Donkey Kong Country Returns was going to be my last full priced game (I just can't resist the allure of Super Mario All-Stars), but I'll probably get Epic Mickey.... and post-pone getting NBA Jam again.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
As a major Disney fan, I have to say Epic Mickey is still my most anticipated game this year. I'd love to get DKC: R as well but I'll have to see how my finances are. I just bought Goldeneye and that was painful to do in itself! But Epic Mickey is a must buy for me, sounds like it is the perfect game for a Disney fangurl.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 12, 2010, 06:02:07 PM »
Warren Spector was the guest slot on the 11/05/10 edition of In This Thread podcast.  I just thought it was notable that he stated that Oswald was, in fact, the villain of the game in it's original concept (~20 minutes in).  Apparently, John Lasseter (of Pixar) was the person who talked him out of it, seemingly because the game was sort of a homecoming for a character that hadn't been owned by Disney in 80+ years.

I have the greatest respect for John Lasseter and what he's done with Pixar and Disney animation, but that was the wrong call.  They could have still had the "misunderstanding" style of villainy with Oswald and had him end the game as a hero with Mickey, and the story would have still been strong.  The whole draw of using the real story of what happened with Oswald the Lucky Rabitt as the basis for the game's backstory was cool, and it's gone now.  I'll probably ask for this game for Christmas, but this game really has suffered a Peter Molineux-style of disappointment for me (and not just with the story).

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 12, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
As a major Disney fan, I have to say Epic Mickey is still my most anticipated game this year. I'd love to get DKC: R as well but I'll have to see how my finances are. I just bought Goldeneye and that was painful to do in itself! But Epic Mickey is a must buy for me, sounds like it is the perfect game for a Disney fangurl.
Totally with you, there!

Well, if it helps a little, Amazon has a "$10 credit on a future purchase" deal running on Epic Mickey.  I'm probably going to preorder that and purchase DKCR shortly afterward. 

I have the greatest respect for John Lasseter and what he's done with Pixar and Disney animation, but that was the wrong call.  They could have still had the "misunderstanding" style of villainy with Oswald and had him end the game as a hero with Mickey, and the story would have still been strong.  The whole draw of using the real story of what happened with Oswald the Lucky Rabitt as the basis for the game's backstory was cool, and it's gone now.  I'll probably ask for this game for Christmas, but this game really has suffered a Peter Molineux-style of disappointment for me (and not just with the story).

Agreed on the John Lasseter, thing.  I love Pixar...I used to dream about working there, but I'm sure a lot of people do.  Honestly, for me, the jury is still out on the whole Oswald thing.  The dystopic visions of Disney in the early concepts were cool, but I can't see that I'm totally uninterested in the backstory now.   As I mentioned in the talkback thread for TYP's impressions of the game, I'm far more concerned about the longevity of the platforming.  It seems as if Mickey doesn't really acquire new abilities in the game...how will they stop it from feeling stale by the end?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:16:34 PM by Sundoulos »