Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess  (Read 15635 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »
The Wiimote is light enough that it isn't an issue...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Klapaucius

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 07:12:17 PM »
8/10 for controls? Add 2 if you'll be playing the Gamecube version (like me).  :P

^_^

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 01:36:50 AM »
Aha, if you tried bow aiming on the Wii version, you'd never go back to analog controls ever again...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Klapaucius

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 02:05:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Aha, if you tried bow aiming on the Wii version, you'd never go back to analog controls ever again...

Maybe, as a novelty, but I don't think it can be as quick or as intuitive (maybe, after a lot of practice...) as playing Zelda with a normal GCN pad.

If and when I eventually get a Wii, I may pick up TP for the novelty of the Wii controls. But really, I'm sticking to what I know for the game I know. I don't want to be fumbling around aiming my wrist at little specks on a screen, when I know I can do it in a split second using an analogue stick.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 03:09:02 AM »
Aiming sounds appealing, but sword fighting still sounds a bit off.  And that fairy pointer is like the stupidest thing ever, seriously.  I'd still get the game if there were only the Wii version, but since there's still the option, I think I'll be getting the 'Cube version.  My dad's getting the Wii version for himself, so I'll still have a chance to play it if I really want to, anyway.
GOREGASM!

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 03:25:10 AM »

The Wiimote is light enough that it isn't an issue...

errr... I think you didn't understand my question, I just want to know how as a lefty you hold the remote+nunchuck and if it matters in Zelda and other games.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 03:36:40 AM »
Um yeah...barbaric analog sticks and buttons are beneath me now, at least for Zelda. Whereas you doubters will try Zelda wii for novelty? Us who have actually been playing Zelda on Wii will try the GameCube version for novelty sake (If I can even bring myself to care about the Cube version...holy crap was this worth a 2 year wait!) Seriously, I can play with my head resting on my left hand as I play. I didn't even know I wanted to play games like that, heh but that's just a silly point ;x!
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 05:58:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Klapaucius

Maybe, as a novelty, but I don't think it can be as quick or as intuitive (maybe, after a lot of practice...) as playing Zelda with a normal GCN pad.

If and when I eventually get a Wii, I may pick up TP for the novelty of the Wii controls. But really, I'm sticking to what I know for the game I know. I don't want to be fumbling around aiming my wrist at little specks on a screen, when I know I can do it in a split second using an analogue stick.

If you can do it in a split second with an analog stick, then you can do it in a split of a split second with the remote.  I can gun down two or three people in a second very easily with the remote.  People can do that with a stick too, but it takes practice and luck.  You don't need either with the remote.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Klapaucius

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 07:07:59 AM »
I'd never have reckoned the whole Wiimote / Analogue thing would cause a rift between Nintendo gamers... :/

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 09:29:43 AM »

errr... I think you didn't understand my question, I just want to know how as a lefty you hold the remote+nunchuck and if it matters in Zelda and other games.

I'm a righty, but I tried aiming with my left hand, and didn't find it that hard.

sword fighting still sounds a bit off.

I didn't really like the sword controls....until my first enemy came running towards me, and, adrenaline rushing, heart pounding, I swung, and hit him him, again and again. As I did so, found myself filling with rage, and swinging more and more furiously. And when he fell, I said to myself: 'ah, so that's what it feels like to kill someone on the battlefield.'
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 10:03:28 AM »

I'd never have reckoned the whole Wiimote / Analogue thing would cause a rift between Nintendo gamers... :/

AHAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA

This is fantastic.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 05:01:31 PM »
As someone who is so against the wii version there's no doubt in my mind aiming is a million times better with the remote, the only question would be if the game is just easier or if its difficulty was adjusted to meet this new more intuitive method. I guess it wasn't.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 02:49:05 AM »
I have to say that I haven't had any issues with controlling the sword either.  A little shake, and it comes right out when I need it.  In fact, it's sensitive enough where it comes out when I don't want it to sometimes, but that doesn't really effect anything.  If Jonny was having issues with that, I'd have to think that there might be some wireless interference in his play location, or possibly a defective accellerometer in the Wiimote.

Statements like this before someone has used the Wiimote in this game just crack me up.  It's normal to distrust something so new that you can't quite get your head around it.  That's fine.  But the fact is, until you actually pick it up and try it, you really have no idea how intuitive and comfortable it is.  And if you aren't convinced by the ridiculously high scores that Zelda's getting, or by all the people telling you how much better the Wiimote is than the old analog sticks, then all I can really tell you is to find a friend who has it and try it for yourself.  Give it half and hour, and I swear to you that you're going to wonder how you could have ever doubted us.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2006, 03:12:09 AM »
I think it's a lot more intuitive to use gestures than buttons but we are gamers so we're used to buttons and don't have the learning curve for them anymore.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 07:00:09 AM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
I have to say that I haven't had any issues with controlling the sword either.  A little shake, and it comes right out when I need it.  In fact, it's sensitive enough where it comes out when I don't want it to sometimes, but that doesn't really effect anything.  If Jonny was having issues with that, I'd have to think that there might be some wireless interference in his play location, or possibly a defective accellerometer in the Wiimote.

The batteries in my first remote died halfway through the game, so I switched to my other remote.  So I don't think it's any kind of defect.  I understand why Nintendo turned down the sensitivity; they didn't want Link to be brandishing his sword when you are simply trying to move the pointer around or changing hand positions.  But they overdid it for me.  I'm glad to hear that many people aren't having any problems with it, but I did on occasion, and that's why I think the sensitivity should be adjustable.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline chrisbg99

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2006, 11:54:39 AM »
I've had a different problem with Zelda's sword play. It is almost too sensitive.

Offline bubicus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »
There is an adjustment system in TP that allows you to modify the sensitivity. I found the default controls were too stiff for me when swordfighting, so I went to the options menu, calibrated the sensitivity to my preferences, and now the controls are pretty sensitive... sensitive enough to cause the sword to pop out sometimes with slight but sudden movements to the left and right, but not so sensitive that the sword would pop out when aiming or slowly moving the Wiimote.

(In the settings system, it's the adjustment thing with the circle and the crosshairs.)

-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...