Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 347334 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1250 on: December 12, 2006, 01:49:56 PM »
Nintendo says a lot of things. I don't buy the 2-3 more 3rd party characters. I actually expect more.

Offline bmmontfort

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1251 on: December 13, 2006, 04:53:29 AM »
There was the flash game that mirrored smash brothers but it also had Sonic and a few others. I'm hoping that with the time left there will be a few more bombshells!

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 13, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
Well i don't know about you guys, but i'll be waiting on Leon or an RE zombie.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1253 on: December 13, 2006, 11:15:55 AM »
No,  No Resident Evil or Zombies.  Those are not iconic characters.

Iconic Characters which are acceptable (though perhaps not desired)

Sold Snake
Bomberman
Rayman
Mega Man
Chun Li or Ryu
Bonk
Simon Belmont
Sonic the Hedgehog
Tails
Bubsy the Bobcat (joking)
crash Bandicoot (unfortunately not joking, but also not desired)

Truthfully, beyond those I am having a hard time thinking of timeless characters off the top of my head.  I guess PAC MAN but he doesn't really work.  

Offline Madcat221

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 13, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »
New fighters added via downloadable content?

« Reply #1255 on: December 13, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »
Simon Belmont would be awesome.
Life is good

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 13, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
It tickles me with delight, this whole notion of major game characters vs. major game characters.  Although there are those who would say Brawl should remain a Nintendo character driven fighter, I find the 3rd party characters the only real earth shattering addition Nintendo's making to Smash Bros.  The question of whether or not Nintendo should is basically moot at this point, they already crossed the line.  Now it's a question of how many, and which ones.

I must say however, there isn't another company out there that could be as good of a host as Nintendo to an all-star "Brawl", and no other fighter could be as receptive to throwing a mish-mash of completely different characters into the same arena together.  With Smash's not-so-serious combat and playful attitude, there's never any one character that appears overly menacing towards another (Although Bowser does seem to have a sweet tooth for JigglyPuff), and Smash really strikes a fine balance between "This character is cool", and "This character totally ROCKS!".

That said, Sam Fisher(SplinterCell) makes perfect sense as a Ubisoft character, and was most likely included as one of the four potential "representitive" characters Ubisoft sent Nintendo's way.   After all, if Solid Snake can make it into Smash Brothers, then dang it we'd better see Sam Fisher in the next crate on its way into Brawl!

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: December 13, 2006, 08:31:36 PM »
I hunted down the interview. The statement was he'd be adding MAYBE 1-2 3rd party characters after snake.

Also, not all melee characters will be returning, he emphasized that. I didn't know that, and that sucks, i was hoping they'd keep everyone.

Also he said he was leaning towards NOT including japanese game release only characters. For instance, if melee were to be brawl, then he would have removed marth and roy

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: December 13, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »

Edfishy wrote:
I find the 3rd party characters the only real earth shattering addition Nintendo's making to Smash Bros.

Online multiplayer > 3rd party characters.

Offline TEM

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 14, 2006, 03:08:30 AM »
Also, it's a tad early to be saying anything like that. There could be a lot of changes we don't know about yet.
"Big, terrifying spiders are proof that God doesn't exist." - Anonymous

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: December 14, 2006, 03:31:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Amodaus1
I hunted down the interview. The statement was he'd be adding MAYBE 1-2 3rd party characters after snake.

Also, not all melee characters will be returning, he emphasized that. I didn't know that, and that sucks, i was hoping they'd keep everyone.

Also he said he was leaning towards NOT including japanese game release only characters. For instance, if melee were to be brawl, then he would have removed marth and roy

A DQ Slime should show up somewhere in the game.  Now on to that quote I really think that the Japan only characters where part of the draw.  Especially with the trophies.

Edit:  Also the Snowman from Snowdriftland that NoE did should be in there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: December 14, 2006, 05:16:49 PM »

Online multiplayer > 3rd party characters.

Greater, yes, but far less shocking.  I won't be really jazzed about Brawl until I see Sonic step into the scene.

Also, it's a tad early to be saying anything like that. There could be a lot of changes we don't know about yet.

I truly hope so, but with Brawl being nearly halfway into its development and the core engine seeming to only be a modded version of Melee, I'm not expecting much in regards to evolutionary changes.  I must be among the very few who would have preferred that the team focus on getting Wiimote controls to work with Smash Bros.

Offline Amodaus1

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: December 16, 2006, 01:20:53 PM »
i thought of something amusing today regarding the addition of 1 or 2 more 3rd party characters to brawl

What if the other 3rd party character was really Riaden as a snake "clone?" I think that would be both halarious and sad, and yet make sense, since there are a lot of "clones" in smash

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1263 on: December 16, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Amodaus1
What if the other 3rd party character was really Riaden as a snake "clone?" I think that would be both halarious and sad, and yet make sense, since there are a lot of "clones" in smash

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=196

Anyway I assume the third party characters left will be announced at strategic times to drum up interest... not that they need much help, though, considering how well Melee sold.

Really, my local radio station that has a gaming segment on Thursdays tends to be plauged with 360 and PS3 (yep, still) phone in questions, yet about the only Wii game (beyond Sports) that ever gets brought up there is Brawl. To that point, I would be surprised if it doesn't go on to be one of the top selling titles for the system, especially given the half a decade gap since the last one.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: January 02, 2007, 12:32:52 PM »
I have decided that I would love for a Custom Robo character to be in SSBB. One of the robos, of course. It would likely be one of the Ray models. And it would be awesome.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 02, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »
The only robo I want is a certain Chibi Robo . . . . :P

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1266 on: January 02, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
The only robo I want is a certain Chibi Robo . . . . :P

AMEN!

And I STILL stand behind what I said about a DQ character being in SSB Brawl because of the recent DQ IX news...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UniversalJuan

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:50 AM »

Originally posted by: pap64
And I STILL stand behind what I said about a DQ character being in SSB Brawl because of the recent DQ IX news...

If that DQ char is Jessica (DQ8)? Sign me up
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1268 on: January 20, 2007, 10:26:55 AM »
Revived this thread to ask a question.

When do you think this game is releasing?

It was once believed this game would be the 2007 holiday title for Nintendo.  However, with Metroid Prime 3 possibly being delayed until then, and who knows when Mario Galaxy and such will be made available.  Could it come sooner?

Future Shop has it posted for an expected release of: March 30, 2007.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10075836&catid=24310&logon=&langid=EN

Now usually, I would leave this as a site getting information wrong.  But it made me recall Matt from IGN stating (I think in a Q&A) that he believes Brawl will be out in March.  

Finally, Reggie did state we would have an online Wii game relatively early in 2007.  Most of us believed that game would be Metroid Prime 3...but could he possibly be mentioning Brawl as that online game?

Brawl would also be the perfect game to re-surge sales of the Wii after initial demand has been satisfied.  

What do you guys think?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 20, 2007, 12:34:38 PM »
Matt in yesterday's N-Query:

"Nothing is confirmed, Nick. I can tell you with certainty that it's not going to hit in the first or second quarters of the year, so you've got at least a six-month wait. I'd wager that we'll see the game launch against Halo 3 or as a the must-have holiday item on Wii, which puts it somewhere in the November or December time frame."

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: January 20, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
I have been thinking for awhile now that Smash Bros could be coming out sooner then later.  By the looks of the trailer that played early November, the game looked like it has been coming along nicely.  

Plus the game does have a huge development team, it's supposed to be bigger then the Mario Galaxy team.  This would allow a game like Smash Bros to be worked on alot faster since you can have one group working on characters and another group working on stages.  With alot of people working in each group development will go very quickly.

Plus since it's using a modified Melee engine that should be helping speed things up as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 20, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »
I'm hoping June, but I'm expecting October/November.

Metroid Prime 3 will probably come out before new-E3, maybe April. I don't expect Super Mario Galaxy until November.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1272 on: January 20, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
I have been thinking for awhile now that Smash Bros could be coming out sooner then later.  By the looks of the trailer that played early November, the game looked like it has been coming along nicely.  

Plus the game does have a huge development team, it's supposed to be bigger then the Mario Galaxy team.  This would allow a game like Smash Bros to be worked on alot faster since you can have one group working on characters and another group working on stages.  With alot of people working in each group development will go very quickly.

Plus since it's using a modified Melee engine that should be helping speed things up as well.

Good points, but you also have to consider that this game is going online. If those early reports of there being trouble with getting four player games to work correctly (which I can imagine under some circumstances, like the bigger levels with Pokéballs set in large quantities) then I assume this game will take awhile to test the bugs and kinks out of. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the options compromised in online play too in the end.

Also, we really have no idea what they are doing for single player. For all we know, it could be something even grander then Adventure Mode, which could take quite a bit of time to develop.

In other words, I'd be surprised if we saw this game sooner then for the '07 Holiday period, which is also fine by me as the more time they are given to perfect it, the better the final product.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 20, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
Yeah, the online part is what's going to take awhile.  I'd imagine they're having a hard enough time trying to get the thing running right with just two players and trying to get it out by the end of this year, so I doubt they'll be four player online.  If they were to go for four players this game woundn't be out until summer 2008 at the EARLIEST.

But then again to me Smash Bros is the most fun with a bunch of friends going crazy and trash talking each other while in the same room so I dont really care how the online turns out.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

« Reply #1274 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
im typing from my wii. this is awesome: brawl will also be awesome.
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!