Author Topic: Best of the Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns  (Read 1617 times)

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Best of the Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

Donkey Kong returns to his Country roots and finds himself on our list of Top 10 Wii games. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/31627

Our list of Top 10 first party Wii games rolls on, landing today on Donkey Kong Country Returns. Andrew, Scott, and Zach talk about why the Retro Studios reboot of the beloved SNES series rightfully belongs among the best games on the Wii, even if rolling is inexplicably mapped to shaking the Wii Remote.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
Yeah! Now this is my favourite 2D platformer on Wii. I really think it goes above and beyond the original trilogy on the SNES. As you guys were saying, it is a game defined by momentum and the dynamic nature of the levels. More than any of its genre peers on the systems, I think Donkey Kong Country Returns has the most memorable stages. To name a few of my favourites:

Stormy Shore - the one with the octopus that pursues you and destroys parts of the stage
Tidal Terror - the tidal wave beach level which you all discussed
Muncher Marathon - the one with the spiders
Switcheroo - the factory level with the red-and-blue platform-switching mechanic
Music Madness - the stage that moves to the beat of the music

Also, pretty much any level in a Minecart or Rocketbarrel deserves mention because they are always the craziest and there's so much going on at once. Silhouette-styled stages are cool as well.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."