Author Topic: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10  (Read 24268 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Newscast Game Club Discussion - Mega Man 10
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
If anyone's interested, I just found a great strategy for the castle mini-boss in Blade Man's stage.

Use Water Shield and jump up to the weak points--the shield will hit them in rapid succession and he'll go down really fast.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
I'm finding this game much more challenging than Mega Man 9.

I never played Mega Man 9 at length, so I  decided to start that as well for comparison.   So far, I'm having an easier time with some of the bosses in 9, but I've found that the stages I've played, Galaxy Man and Splash Woman, have a steeper learning curve than many of the stages in 10.  Mostly that's because of the spike placement in both stages.  The boss encounters in 10 seem a little harder, though.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
I played Mega Man 2 on VC pretty much immediately before Mega Man 9 came out in 2008, and found it to be INCREDIBLY easy compared to MM9.
Did you play Mega Man 2 on Normal or Difficult? The Normal mode is actually an easy mode of sorts that was created for the North American release, and the Difficult mode is the original Japanese difficulty. In either case though, I do think MM2 is the easiest game out of the ten. I believe the reason for this is because they were addressing complaints that the original was too hard, so at this point they were trying to find the sweet spot of difficulty.

If you find Mega Man 10 to be frustrating, then have you considered playing it on Easy first? I think it might be a good idea, so you could learn the stages for when you play on Normal. The reason I started on Easy is because I didn't want to be spending an hour just trying to beat a stage. That isn't fun for me, and if it isn't for you, you should consider switching. Also consider using Proto Man, as he is easier to use than Mega Man.

Well for instance, although Pump Man is technically weak to Sheep Man's weapon, it's extremely hard to hit him with it. You're better off just using the Mega Buster. Luckily, Pump Man has a pretty easy pattern to avoid
I think you're not using the weapon right. The weapon can penetrate Pump Man's Water Shield, so you just have to anticipate where he is going to jump and put a thunder cloud there. You can defeat him using just three shots if you're crafty. Like most things in Mega Man games, it's pretty easy once you figure out what to do.

The boss encounters in 10 seem a little harder, though.
I think you're right about that. It would seem that their patterns require a bit more precise movements in order to not get hit, so there is less room for error. When you first meet a robot, I'd recommend studying them to learn their pattern before you get too aggressive and start blasting them.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
So I finished it tonight on Normal, without the guide. Used about 20 continues and ended up having to loop Pump Man's stage for the free E-Tank and boatload of screws for more. Final time was 4h14m, which is actually shorter than I thought it would be.

The last three Wily stages range from frustrating to awesome.
Frustrating: If you're trying to get every item before the boss reunion, be careful - I had to continue BEFORE the reunion because I was trying to grab an extra E-Tank
Awesome: The whole leadup to the last stage - you go up, WAY up, run into the screws from MM2 to replenish everything, and get one of each Tank (E, W and another M) just in time for the final boss.

You unlock Hard Mode after beating the game, which if 20 continues on Normal is any indication I will be avoiding like the plague for the time being. I do want to try Easy and maybe do a Protoman run before I try Hard mode.

Ending spoiler: There's a hook for Mega Man 11 at the end. If I had to bet, they'll probably put it out next fall.

Phantom edit:
If anyone's interested, I just found a great strategy for the castle mini-boss in Blade Man's stage.

Use Water Shield and jump up to the weak points--the shield will hit them in rapid succession and he'll go down really fast.
This actually works well on all of the minibosses. I'm not sure what weapon is more broken, the shield or Blade Man's.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:47:52 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
Yeah, that's how I got past the castle miniboss and the soccer miniboss.

Got to Wily's castle last night. The stages are too long. The second one, with the conveyor belts, is just cruel sometimes.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:15 AM »
20 continues? Wow. Reminds me of when I played Mega Man 2 at five years old...
If you want to keep your sanity, do not play Hard Mode.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 01:46:12 AM »
Update: After getting a Game Over on Blade Man's stage (again), I decided to move on. I've beaten Sheep Man and Pump Man now; I will go for Solar Man next. It's helpful that four of the Robot Masters are elemental, so I can apply Pokémon knowledge to finding the weaknesses. I don't know how I'm going to work out how to effectively damage the others, though past experience says I'll guess it wrong before I guess it right.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 01:40:44 AM »
Mega Man bosses don't always follow logic when it comes to weaknesses. But if that strategy is working for you, go with it!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:50 AM »
Funnily enough, this element weakness theory did work. I beat Solar Man and Chill Man last night. 5 down, 3 to go.
Now I'll probably guess wrong because, as you said, there is no logical way to discern which of the remaining three would be hurt by Chill Spike.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 02:56:27 AM »
I had my "Mega Man 10" night with two of my old friends last night. We rocked through the entire game on Normal in something like five hours or so of controller-passing fun. I really enjoy the game, though I still think MM9 trumps it. The Wily stages are pretty damn good. I think I like those better than the ones in MM9.

I did check out Easy mode and Proto Man today, though. Some of Proto Man's dialog is freaking awesome. Easy mode makes me laugh, but I have to say it's nice to have a way for less experienced gamers or Mega Man players have a way to actually succeed in the game without suffering through a lot of trial and error.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »
Funnily enough, this element weakness theory did work. I beat Solar Man and Chill Man last night. 5 down, 3 to go.
Now I'll probably guess wrong because, as you said, there is no logical way to discern which of the remaining three would be hurt by Chill Spike.
If you use it correctly, the Chill Spike makes sense once you actually figure out who to use it against.  Interestingly enough, I noticed that it does far more damage when allowed to land on the ground and forms the spikes than it does if you just blast the enemy robot directly with it.  It's a nice touch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:34:08 PM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2010, 01:51:49 PM »
I beat it last night. SO happy they built a grinding stage in before the final Wily fight. I needed all those extra items because I'd used them all during the robot master marathon and first two Wily fights. The final Wily fight was pretty easy overall...I was happy they didn't stick me with the cheap saucer battle from MM9. Now I'm gonna try playing it on Easy just to see how easy it can be.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:11 PM »
Commando Man's stage is BRUTAL. I haven't even made it to the boss himself yet.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:28 AM »
Five of the eight robot weaknesses make a surprising amount of sense in this game. That has to be some kind of record.

I thought I'd drop a couple notes for those who haven't noticed. For one, I just realized that Proto Man receives double the damage as Mega Man does. He also gets knocked back a little farther. You'll have to concentrate more on not getting hit if you use him. Now that I've realized this, I've started Hard Mode again with Mega Man, though I don't know how far I'll try to get.

Here's something I noticed with Strike Man's weapon: The more it bounces, the more damage it causes. I think it might reach full power when it starts to flash. This thing is like a lame version of Gemini Laser... I don't know where they got it from that baseballs are pink.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
Odd, because I thought Commando Man's stage wasn't bad.  I think Strike Man's stage is the hardest out of the 8 robot masters.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
Odd, because I thought Commando Man's stage wasn't bad.  I think Strike Man's stage is the hardest out of the 8 robot masters.

I love Commando Man's stage. It's a bit tough, but it's just so cool.
Strike Man is tough if only because of the two mini-bosses. I hate those damn things! It's funny how nerfed they are in Easy mode, though.

FYI, we're recording Newscast tonight, so if you have any game-winning final thoughts, drop them in here today. I think I might try to do a quick run-through of the game before the podcast tonight, or at least replay the Wily stages. I beat them with my friends at about 4 am, so my memory is a little hazy.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »
I haven't even GOTTEN to the Wily Stages yet.  I'm about halfway through the robot masters.  It's not that I'm not enjoying the game, but it's not really grabbing me any more than Mega Man 9 did.   

Anyways, I'm hoping to get through the eight bosses and to the Wily Stage before recording Newscast tonight.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »
I finally beat Commando Man this morning. The key was (finally) learning the pattern to those jumping parachute bombs in the sandstorm areas. My first thought was to use the Water Shield, but that doesn't help much. The trick is to jump OVER the parachute bombs as they are coming DOWN. There is a small but safe timing window before the next one launches upward. Also, you have to be patient; trying to make any of the jumps with sand blowing on the screen is just suicide.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »
You can also shoot the bombs as they're coming up--it gives you a much larger window to cross the gap.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »
You can also shoot the bombs as they're coming up--it gives you a much larger window to cross the gap.

QFT

Or you could play on Easy where you can just jump over every pit without worry because they take so long to come up.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
Those bomb things were present in MM9 and older games as well, truth be told.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »

See, I think Strike Man's stage is quite easy (relative to the rest of the game, that is). As I hinted earlier, I'm finding Blade Man's level to be rock solid. It's the damn seesaw segment over the bottomless pits - the enemy placement on that bit is pure EVIL!
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »
If memory serves me correctly, the seesaw comes back in a Wily Stage and is even more devilish.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
It's underwater, and there are shrimp-bots attacking from both directions.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
It's underwater, and there are shrimp-bots attacking from both directions.

Oh yea. Eff that part...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"