Author Topic: Official new forums feature request/complaint thread  (Read 161717 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Official new forums feature request/complaint thread
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2011, 05:08:14 AM »
So the reason people were getting logged out is that there was a security bug in the forum software such that when people tried to log in as you and failed, you'd get logged out. If your username doesn't match your display name, chances are you didn't see the problem.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
So the reason people were getting logged out is that there was a security bug in the forum software such that when people tried to log in as you and failed, you'd get logged out. If your username doesn't match your display name, chances are you didn't see the problem.
Ah I see. As you can see. you fixed the quote problem. Thanks again Megabyte.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Hey, Links are finally underlined and a different color than regular text!  Neat-o!  Much obliged!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »
Links have always been a different color than regular text.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
Maybe on the Core theme, but not on the default theme.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
On the default theme, links were a different colour than regular text, but it was a very subtle difference and easy to overlook. Often I wouldn't notice links in posts until I logged in, since my account uses the Babylon theme which underlines the links.

Does that mean people are trying to log into our accounts?  ???

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
There was a bot attack on SMF-backed forums.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Re: NWR 2.0 bugs
« Reply #482 on: February 14, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
I've had that happen to me occasionally, sometimes I can fix it by refreshing the page and trying again.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »
E-mail notifications are a bit off for the last couple of days. Normally I would get the e-mail the minute a post is made. But they have not been sent at all more often than not. I have checked and they aren't landing in the spam folder.

Also the same logged off issue, but that hasn't happened for the last 72 hours.

Edit: Never mind I managed to fix it. For some reason the settings changed without my input.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:39:42 AM by oohhboy »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 16, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
This is less an issue with the forums as an issue with trying to get to the forums, but on Internet Explorer I'm seeing a large banner ad covering the site links at the top of the main site page.  You can still click on the Forums link by moving the cursor to the very right edge of the banner ad, but it's pretty annoying.  I haven't tried this on Firefox yet.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #485 on: February 16, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
Not getting that in Firefox, but maybe it's because I use Adblock Plus (so I never seen any ads or banners).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »
This is less an issue with the forums as an issue with trying to get to the forums, but on Internet Explorer I'm seeing a large banner ad covering the site links at the top of the main site page.  You can still click on the Forums link by moving the cursor to the very right edge of the banner ad, but it's pretty annoying.  I haven't tried this on Firefox yet.

I think I already found your problem :P

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:57 AM »

I think I already found your problem :P:

Indeed, but it's what's on the computers here and I can't change that.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MrM0n0p01y

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »
OK, Hello everyone, I love the Podcast RFN!! However, I cannot access the NWR sites. I can only access the main site, I cannot click on ANY links on the site. I was able to access the forums by chance by typing in the address by hand. Anytime I click on any links, it freezes my computer. I am running IE8, Windows Vista, and have no problems with any other websites. Please look into what options I can explore, so I can enjoy your site better. Thanks!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »
Upgrade to Windows 7 and/or use Chrome, Firefox or some other alternative browser and see if that fixes most of your problems.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #490 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
That is why I stopped using IE a few years ago, the damn browser kept crashing.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 24, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »

I think I already found your problem :P:

Indeed, but it's what's on the computers here and I can't change that.

Firefox Portable and a USB flash drive are your friend. ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 28, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »
I'm really sick of this whole applaud/smite system. It was fun for a while, but all the people who are taking it too seriously and whining about smites are getting really annoying.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I'm really sick of this whole applaud/smite system. It was fun for a while, but all the people who are taking it too seriously and whining about smites are getting really annoying.
It would be good if someone wrote the mod with a way to track who is smiting or applauding and for what post.
(I looked it up on the SMF site and there is nothing like that yet)
Maybe only a single vote per person per post so that it doesn't just become someone logging once an hour to continue a silly smite fest based on a single post they didn't like from someone.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
I have seen other messageboards that have it so you get a message when someone smites/applauds you and for what post they did it (even letting the person comment on why they did it).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
I would like to install something like that, and have actually tried, but none of the current mods work on our database, and I don't have time to fix them.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
I'm not sure that would be a good idea. There are really only two ways I could see that ending up: either people would stop using it altogether, or it would become personal to some people and devolve into conflicts between posters. I think it would be best to just scrap the system completely.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
Well, the ideal system would take into account more than just individual smites/applauds, it would have something akin to Google's PageRank to weigh such activity to reduce abuse. And if it worked well, we might add other incentives...
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »
I am in favor in keeping it. I produces much amusement for me and I am sure a lot of other people derive delight from it as well.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
What about getting rid of smite's? Another board I sometimes post on has a rep system. If you like a post, you rep the person. The more rep you have, the more influence your repping has (i.e. someone with 60 points would have more impact when repping than someone with 12 points). For every 100 points you got, your rep would go up by 1. So someone who has a rep of 124 would cause your score to go up by 1 point and already be 24% closer to going up another (sorry if I didn't explain that clearly, but maybe others know what I am talking about). That board used to have negative reps too, but it just became what insanolor talked about where people used the system to basically get into feuds and attack each other.