Author Topic: Kirby in 3D?  (Read 2655 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Kirby in 3D?
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »
So, Hal Labs is interested in making a Kirby game in full 3D.

Would this interest you?
Would the gameplay translate into 3D?

Do you not care because you hate that Kirby is adorable and you're not?

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby in 3D?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
I thought the was already a fully 3D Kirby? Guess I'm out the loop. I think it would work but it would need incredible level design to cater to his powers and  not come off as a pointless Mario 64 clone. Yeah, count me in.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
I'd definitely play it, but I'd be worried that some powers wouldn't work in 3D.  Cutter and sword would be fine.  But I'm not sure about Fighter.  Stone would be tricky.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »
Naw, Kirby is one of the few Nintendo franchises to not have a full 3D game yet. I'd be up for it. I'd be up for a 2D one as well. It doesn't matter as long as it's Kirby.

Still, I'd love to know what sort of ideas HAL has for a 3D Kirby and how it would work. I'd like to see a big connected DreamLand full of secrets like a Tallon IV or Donkey Kong 64. I see that more as Kirby's style as it is often about getting differrent powers and fighting enemies while using them to explore and find secrets and treasures. It's not really about platforming challenges like Mario. I just wonder how they'd handle flying or if it would be like Kirby 64 where they limit flight to a short time.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:34 PM »
Or it could be a Banjo-Kazooie deal where you can only start flying via special pads or something. I don't care for that idea, but that could be a means of doing it.

I liked the look of the 3D Kirby that was in development on the GameCube. I would just say that Kirby needs to move a little faster than he does in 2D.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »
Kirby could become the new Banjo-Kazooie property for Nintendo. Instead of pads there are specific enemies with the powers you need to access areas.

I'd really like to see something with the open-world platforming mechanics like we got in Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and other platformers of that era. Everything seems to have crunched back into linear play style.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
Yeah, Nintendo hasn't really made a 3D platformer in the vein of Mario 64 since Sunshine, 12 years ago. Now, I really love the more linear style EAD Tokyo's taken with Mario, but there's definitely a market for that style of games and I think Nintendo would be smart to serve both of them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
I think Kirby would actually be great in 3D.  I think Kirby's abilities naturally lend itself to a 3D world.  Floating allows for easy 3D platforming.  Power stealing means that Kirby can play very differently and you can design levels specially around different abilities like Mario does. 

Kirby should be made into a 3D game sooner than later, and it will be awesome.

I hated Banjo and Kazooie for limiting when you could use your abilities.  It was frustrating.  Instead I think they should limit the floating to like 3-4 puffs and perhaps make Kirby's jump not as high as Mario's.  The game can still be quite vertically based, but Kirby can't infinitely fly. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:50:41 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 08:19:48 PM »
Kirby cannot fly forever in Smash so I think it would not be hard for HAL to go down a path like that for a 3D Kirby title.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:24:07 PM »
Air Ride
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
I think limiting the flight is a good idea.  I also like how in Triple Deluxe the flying is just really slow and not worth doing for an entire level.  I'm always prone to not flying because you can easily miss secrets and end up not having fun.  I think a 3D game could be designed similarly.  Then, if you get powers like wing and jet, you can cruise through areas quickly.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
I've wanted to see a 3D Kirby game for a long time now, it's one of the few series left that hasn't had a 3D entry. It'd be interesting to see how that'd work. Though really, I just want more 3D platformers in general, we pretty much just have Mario and that isn't nearly enough.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
kirby in 3d is a game that would sell me on Wii U. Or just a really good Kirby game in 2D Kirby is one of those under appreciated games that gets mistreated.
Trying to be a better person, honest.