Author Topic: Wii U supposedly hacked  (Read 8100 times)

Offline NIN_T

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U supposedly hacked
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 02:28:14 AM »
Congratulations on hacking it guys. We can now play all those great gam...oh...wait...

I suppose that's one way to tackle piracy. Well played Nintendo.

Hey, Hackers! While your rooting through it, could you find a way to speed up the OS? Ta.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
Watch out Pokepal, there's a new troll in town!

Offline NIN_T

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:04 AM »
Watch out Pokepal, there's a new troll in town!

Not really. I'll bash Nintendo, ms or Sony etc if they deserve it, and I'll give them credit when they earn it too.
Nintendo did not invest anywhere near enough to push this console.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »
What is it with Kirby and the haters? Oblivion?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »
You rang?

Offline NIN_T

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:18 AM »
I think he thinks I'm you. Last time I checked, I wasn't. Nor am I a troll.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
Nintendo Brushes Off Wii U Hacker Claims
Quote from: Nintendo
"Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security. However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products’ security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Not quite related, but an interesting enough read and a window into why having Wii U hacked might deter some (especially smaller) developers:

http://www.greenheartgames.com.nyud.net/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

It doesn't matter how many people would actually pirate games on Wii U - what matters is perception. If developers and publishers feel like it's not a healthy system to release games on, that's going to affect their willingness to spend money putting quality games onto the system. Why bother, if the small audience is made even smaller due to piracy?

Anyway, Game Dev Tycoon sounds interesting and the "anti-piracy measures" implemented made me laugh enough that I'm almost willing to buy the game without any further knowledge. Just reminded me of this discussion.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Oh no, the dozens and dozens of studios actively making Wii U games right now will have to rethink that whole thing.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
To be fair that type of anti-piracy measure is superficial. They released the 'hacked" version of the game themselves.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »
Oh no, the dozens and dozens of studios actively making Wii U games right now will have to rethink that whole thing.

If there were dozens of studios already making games, then it would matter less. The fact that more studios seem to be playing the "wait and see" game with Wii U instead of actively making games is exactly why appearance matters so much right now.

But hey, bonus points awarded for a sarcastic response. I would've laughed if I wasn't so tired.

To be fair that type of anti-piracy measure is superficial. They released the 'hacked" version of the game themselves.

Incredibly superficial. More a joke than anything... but I thought it was a funny story and a smart way to bring some media attention to his game.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:24:18 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »
Game Dev Tycoon sounds interesting and the "anti-piracy measures" implemented made me laugh enough that I'm almost willing to buy the game without any further knowledge. Just reminded me of this discussion.
From what i understand, they deliberately uploaded buggy version on torrent sites as a ruse. And then published the story on how they sure showed them pirates.

Good going, guys.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »

That reminded me of a article, I think on IGN, hightligng their 8 favorite anti-piracy measures (not involving DRM). One was Mirror's Edge slowing down your character right when they were about to make a jump, Serious Sam had a big red scorpion appear that was immortal and super-fast, Grand Theft Auto IV made the camera swivel around non-stop. My favorite was from Nintendo for EarthBound, the game would have random enemy encounters non-stop; if you did have the patience to get to the end of the game anyways, during the final battle the game would freeze and delete your gamesave.

As for Game Developer Tycoon, I love how some of the people who obviously pirated the game then went to the official forums and complained about how they couldn't make a profit in the game because people kept pirating the games. It's like they didn't see the irony.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20