Author Topic: The world of 3DS revisions.  (Read 10912 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
The world of 3DS revisions.
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:36 PM »
im planning to upgrade to an XL on black friday(unless a 3DS lite is announced) i'm curious, what would make you upgrade  to a 3DS revision, how much battery is enough

for me, some of the jaggies on the screen get annoying imo and 8-12 hours is plenty. a more efficient sleep mode maybe?

and i think we can lay the built in circle pad pro to rest here, it's not happening

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: the world of 3DS revisions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
lol jaggies

You need a higher resolution screen and/or a better processor for AA if that wish is gonna come true, and since history shows they won't do that, you might as well wait for the next gen handheld.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »
a more efficient sleep mode maybe

The only reason sleep mode is inefficient is it's constantly running the wireless. Turn that off and it'll go for days losing barely any battery life in sleep mode.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »
My 3DS is fine and I don't really feel the urge to upgrade. A built-in right circle pad and better battery (like 10-15 hours... I know) would make me strongly consider an upgrade sooner. The latter seems far more likely than the former (which is terribly unlikely, just mentioning it for discussion's sake). Still, I'm just waiting for all-black model and a price drop and I'll be getting an XL. The bigger screens were what I wanted; I just don't have the money right now.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »
I've played so many games on the 3DS that would have been improved had a dual circle pad scheme been implemented, that I probably would upgrade if they released a model which provided that. Is it likely? With Nintendo, who the hell knows? But I would certainly like to see it.

I might just have been really unlucky, but my original 3DS has so many issues. I don't like the shoulder buttons (which feel mushy), I'm not a fan of the face buttons (which could stand to be made a little bigger) and I really dislike the D-Pad which has always been squeaky. On top of that, the recess for the stylus does not hold it securely, the hinges for the top screen are very loose, and I think the tri-tone plastic looks dumb.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there's plenty of room for improvement.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:32:19 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
lol jaggies

You need a higher resolution screen and/or a better processor for AA if that wish is gonna come true, and since history shows they won't do that, you might as well wait for the next gen handheld.
History would side with you but it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to just go Apple on us and deliver two screens exactly double the resolution. Current games would look identical, new games would look amazing. A more powerful processor would be neccesary of course but the extreme scalability Apple have shown with iPods and the like proves it's possible to up the benchmark.
So personally, dual analogs, double resolution display, better battery and a smaller/lighter/thinner profile overall would be an instant purchase.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Hoojoe

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
Considering I just upgraded from a DS Lite to a 3DS XL I won't be buying a revision. Next gen hand held probably. This XL is pretty sweet though...

Offline terribledeli

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »
The screen scratches on my launch model made me upgrade to an XL model.

They threatened my wife and children and I was weak.

And the sale price at Target was a plus too.

Joking aside, this was the first time I went for an updated model within the same console family, not out of necessity. And it was largely due to the sale price.

There would have to major, major revisions before I'd even entertain the idea of updating again.
NNID: terribledeli
3DSFC: 0645-5771-9850

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:38 PM »
Yeah, since my 3DS still has its launch day defects, I really want to switch.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »
I'm going to be honest I think we will see a redesign of the original model with improved battery. and I think the XL will get the GBA SP/Micro treatment...

The only reason sleep mode is inefficient is it's constantly running the wireless. Turn that off and it'll go for days losing barely any battery life in sleep mode.
I have heard otherwise on the XL, in part because of the larger screens not being in use...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
Even with the wireless on my XL lasts a good while in sleep mode. I think close to three days. I pretty much keep it in sleep mode constantly in hopes of someone in the park or motel next-door triggering the StreetPass.

Since Nintendo now offers the Circle Pad XL in NA I don't think that serious of a redesign is necessary. Nicer screens would be nice since the pixilation does grate on occasion. It's not as bad as I feared it would be but I think I mostly notice it after playing on my nicer Galaxy S2 screen.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: The world of 3DS revisions.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »
Perhaps a bigger focus on multimedia to compete with the ipod (maybe partner with amazon for a music store)
What about a RAM increase, let you play music while gaming, streetpass while playing DS games...
Even with the wireless on my XL lasts a good while in sleep mode. I think close to three days. I pretty much keep it in sleep mode constantly in hopes of someone in the park or motel next-door triggering the StreetPass.
i know the XL uses more power for the screens (however the battery size has long since compensated for that) so it makes since that it would handle streetpass well...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
I think it would be foolish for Nintendo to put too much effort into media functionality that no one would use. It'd be nice in theory, but nobody's replacing their iPod with a 3DS.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:43 AM »
I want Nintendo to abandon the glossy finish for their future handhelds and always have a matte coating for them.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
3DS micro. I would totally buy that.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
I thought I post it here but,

An Outdoor oriented 3DS model.

One that has a screen that can been seen well in the Sun.  A little bit more rugged build on the machine itself.  Something that could survive a reasonable drop without ejecting the card.  It would be great if it was water proof.  Also I would love for Wireless Charging.  Though mostly a screen that does well out in the sun.  I'm tired of having a hard time on car trips.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
3DS has that charging cradle if that counts as wireless charging. It's inefficient and I sometimes like to play while charging so I never use it. I tried it once when I first bought my 3DS then just charged with the AC adapter plugged directly into the unit. I tried the Wii U charging cradle last week. Same story, same ending. I still use it as a stand because that's just convenient.

Every time I see a 3DS XL, I want one more. I still feel like Nintendo might release a true revision next year so part of me wants to hold off though if I keep waiting, I may never end up buying anything. First world problems.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »
They haven't included the cradle in the regular 3DS package for quite some time now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
They haven't included the cradle in the regular 3DS package for quite some time now.
Really... never heard that...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
I noticed the retail boxes were smaller some time ago so it's been a while. Not sure when exactly Nintendo stopped including it, maybe when Aqua Blue was discontinued. I think Nintendo still sells the charging cradle separately.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »
I noticed the retail boxes were smaller some time ago so it's been a while. Not sure when exactly Nintendo stopped including it, maybe when Aqua Blue was discontinued. I think Nintendo still sells the charging cradle separately.
It makes sense it just... you think a certain nintendo related news site would mention that.... ;)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
Oh duh! Why didn't I think of that? The boxes have been slimmed down for the last six months or so and I couldn't figure out why. Guess this makes sense.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
I think I used the cradle for a few months after launch, then never again. I still have it, but I just plug the 3DS into the AC adapter by itself.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
I love that cradle. If I ever buy an XL I'll buy the one that goes with it. It may be inefficient, but since I'm generally using it to charge overnight that's not really a problem.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »
I'm sad no one is talking about a better screen for outdoors.

Anyway, the cradle is not really wireless. There are just connection points that automatically attach.

What I'm talking about is something along the lines of the Qi Standard  Where there is truly no physical connection transferring the power.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.