Author Topic: Advance Wars  (Read 7433 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Advance Wars
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
The upcoming release of Fire Emblem Awakening has me excited for what Intelligence System is maybe (hopefully) working on next, a 3DS iteration of Advance Wars. I was wondering what people would like to see in such a game. Graphical style? New units? CO powers? Online functionality?

Also, and this is my main selfish reason for starting this thread, I've decided to go back and play one of the older Advance Wars games to scratch this itch, and I'm not sure which one to go with. I have all four games released in the US so far, and there are reasons for and against all of them, so I'd like to hear the thoughts of people here.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Advance Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
As I said in my own topic, I would like to see a Wii U version of Advanced Wars that uses a more realistic  gritty art style and one for the 3DS that uses the more anime artstyle that the series is known for in the past.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
The main thing I'd like to see from a 3DS Advance Wars game is asynchronous multiplayer. After a whole bunch of experiences on iOS that work this way, I'd like to play my turn, send it in, leave the game, and receive a SpotPass notification when my opponent has done theirs and I can go again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
I have not played the entire series, but here is a list of things that I would like to see:
  • Space based weapons.
  • Spot passed based arms dealing and guerrilla warfare.
  • Occupy other nations after winning a level.
  • Some kind of morality based system: Humanitarian or Violator.
  • A casual mode similar to the new Fire Emblem.
  • Resource points (oil fields) that boost military prowess.
Edit:

The Wii U version could potentially take a que from Monster Hunter and allow two to four people multi-player. Any where between two and four people could join together to fight against a computer controlled enemy nation and army. The difficulty could be based upon how many people are playing at the time. Also, those group of people playing against each other online could divide into two teams  and face off against one another, or have all four duke it for total control.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:09:02 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »
I just want great online support, especially ranked matchmaking and leaderboards

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
Co-op missions.
An extra open ended randomly generated world war mode along side the linear campaign.

I am not sure how most of your suggestions would fit into an Advanced Wars game Kytim89. Doing all that would literally result in a completely different game. Maybe you are thinking of Battalion Wars.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »
Oh god, a co-op campaign would be crazy fun

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »
Co-op missions.
An extra open ended randomly generated world war mode along side the linear campaign.

I am not sure how most of your suggestions would fit into an Advanced Wars game Kytim89. Doing all that would literally result in a completely different game. Maybe you are thinking of Battalion Wars.

Yeah.  I agree.    I mean, especially with your suggestion of casual mode, Advance Wars has always just BEEN that way.  You can save anytime, on most maps you can always just make more guys if you lose some.....

Also, did anyone try multiplayer on either of the DS games?   I never bothered, because turn based multiplayer doesn't sound like a great idea to me.   Especially with an Advance Wars type game, where your average map has, what, 20 turns, with who knows how many unit movements within each turn?   It would be like playing a game of Axis and Allies or Diplomacy with your friends.   Man, I remember having game sessions lasting 5 or 6 hours with those games.   In one sitting!
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
That's why I want to see asynchronous multiplayer, like Hero Academy or Words with Friends on iOS. Do your turn, send it off, and get a SpotPass notification when it's your turn again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Just various environmental events in the battle field

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
Snow, rain and fog not enough?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
Here is a great example for a new Advanced Wars for the Wii U:

After so many online victories you can create your own nation or empire and then name it (it must abide by Miiverse rules) and then people can try and take over said empire/territory after beating you in battle.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:30 AM »
After so many online victories you can create your own nation or empire and then name it (it must abide by Miiverse rules) and then people can try and take over said empire/territory after beating you in battle.
Speaking of giving names to your countries in videogames. There was a game, kind of economy simulation of something... Ah, yes, General. You allocated your resources, built armies and developed your country in different ways (like you can give your scientists to develop military strength or agriculture or something else). Game had a map with 20 randomly generated countries with random names of real countries attached to it. Then you could direct your armies to countries you bordering with and then battle would be calculated based on your army and your general experience and age.

It was quite hilarious seeing battle logs like: "pakistan conquers australia" or "argentina conquers japan":

I installed it again and man it's still just as fun as it was ten years ago:
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 06:35:52 AM »
No, that is literally an entirely different game that isn't Advanced Wars. I am starting to think that niether of you or pokepal have played an Advanced Wars in your life. It's not Advanced Wars if you rip out the very core mechanic that drives the game. That is why the spin off games on the Gamecube and the Wii are called Battlion Wars.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:22 AM »
The main thing I'd like to see from a 3DS Advance Wars game is asynchronous multiplayer. After a whole bunch of experiences on iOS that work this way, I'd like to play my turn, send it in, leave the game, and receive a SpotPass notification when my opponent has done theirs and I can go again.

This.  More than anything else, it is the main thing that the next 3DS advance wars needs.  Imagine being able to play multiple games with your friends via SpotPass. I hope they have thought of this.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline szotaku_sensei

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
I still play Advanced Wars 2 on my SP and love it. I rarely get along with tactics type games but AW and FE are two titles I adore!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
perhaps a r&d type deal that range from just generic stealth bombers to something like this
http://youtu.be/q1zYSGmZ8gA?t=1m5s

now i don't know about as a small scale but perhaps a red vs. blue world conquest thing online