Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 411361 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #775 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »
Based on what we have seen and know about  the PS$ thus far how well can the Wii U stand against it in the next five years or more?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2013, 12:00:52 AM »
Too early to tell.

Personally for me and based on what i saw, PS4 was underwhelming, it was the same Sony IPs i never cared about plus third party multiplats i will get PC or even (gasp! who would've thought!) on Wii U.

Let's see see if Microsoft will make me go "wow!" as they did with Gears of War back then.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2013, 12:56:10 AM »
In terms of specs, Durango is rumored to be less powerful than PS4. This probably won't matter anyway because Sony went with x86 and Microsoft apparently will be too. They're supposedly not too off from each other so games will be scaled appropriately. Ars Technica has a nice article on what using PC parts as opposed to custom chips means for Sony. This is specifically about PS4, but if Microsoft follows suit like rumors suggest, it still applies.

In terms of games, I wasn't impressed by the Sony event either. Sony's exclusives always interested me more than Microsoft's so I'm not expecting much from Microsoft's Xbox unveiling. Since I get the most out of my gaming dollars from Nintendo games, I was really hoping for better 3rd party support. Nintendo sticking with a custom PowerPC CPU might be more of a barrier for 3rd party in the future than its specs. I'll probably have to look into a PS4 in the future and just catch up on 3rd party titles that way.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
In terms of specs, Durango is rumored to be less powerful than PS4. This probably won't matter anyway because Sony went with x86 and Microsoft apparently will be too. They're supposedly not too off from each other so games will be scaled appropriately. Ars Technica has a nice article on what using PC parts as opposed to custom chips means for Sony. This is specifically about PS4, but if Microsoft follows suit like rumors suggest, it still applies.

In terms of games, I wasn't impressed by the Sony event either. Sony's exclusives always interested me more than Microsoft's so I'm not expecting much from Microsoft's Xbox unveiling. Since I get the most out of my gaming dollars from Nintendo games, I was really hoping for better 3rd party support. Nintendo sticking with a custom PowerPC CPU might be more of a barrier for 3rd party in the future than its specs. I'll probably have to look into a PS4 in the future and just catch up on 3rd party titles that way.

Nintendo really needs to start getting third party support for the Wii U moving. They can not afford to to keep stalling the way they are currently doing right now. They need to have a Nintendo exclusively for third party support on the Wii U. Even if old games (Tomb Raider) have to come out for it than that is okay. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2013, 01:25:16 AM »
Nintendo can't twist their arms to get support. Outside of money hats, how do you expect this to happen? Money hats are short term solutions anyway therefore not really solutions. I don't really know what you mean by "stalling." And worthwhile exclusives are going to be few and far between like they have been on consoles for some time. Again, besides deals like the one that's bringing Bayonetta 2 to Wii U (e.g. Nintendo picking up an essentially dead project), don't expect too many exclusives.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
Do you honestly think they are stalling on purpose? Like the rest of us they probably thought Rayman would be out roughly about now. Lego is coming soon and it looks genuinely fun to play and the comedy is great in the trailers. I'd much rather that than some melodramatic soap opera that silly gamers think should be made into a movie exactly as is.

There are some 3rd party games on the way, lets just hope the few unannounced ones are good ones and they are coming sooner rather than later. Still it's all on them, Nintendo can't force anyone to bring their games to Wii U.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 24, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
I hear that Aliens: Colonial Marines has been cancelled for Wii U.

I guess we'll never know how bad that version of the game was afterall.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 24, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Shamalan twist: it was the best version, true to the demo's being shown to us, but it was cancelled to troll nintendo/wii u owners.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
lol

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 24, 2013, 09:28:04 PM »

I saw a commercial for it yesterday on TV and it said "out now" and showed the Wii U box art.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

I saw a commercial for it yesterday on TV and it said "out now" and showed the Wii U box art.
sega doesn't have the money to update their commercials

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 25, 2013, 02:18:02 AM »
Nintendo needs to send a little cash SEGA's way and get Colonial Marines back on the Wii U and market it as the best version of the game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 25, 2013, 02:40:02 AM »
If it's that bad, let it go.

That money could be better spent somewhere else, on something else, with someone else.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 25, 2013, 02:46:06 AM »
Nintendo needs to send a little cash SEGA's way and get Colonial Marines back on the Wii U and market it as the best version of the game.

Kytim, no man, no. It would probably be better of no gamer got to play this game to preserve what's left of the Alien's lore. Can't imagine who ever runs the franchise wants this game to officially be cannon any more.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:09 AM »

Kytim, no man, no. It would probably be better of no gamer got to play this game to preserve what's left of the Alien's lore. Can't imagine who ever runs the franchise wants this game to officially be cannon any more. That game is really worth picking up and deserves a sequel of some kind.

It's that bad? And I thought Alien 3 was bad. Perhaps an HD remake of Aliens: Infestation for the DS ported to Wii U?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:27:33 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 25, 2013, 06:45:10 AM »
Lol. At this rate the only games that will ever see light of day on Wii U will all be first party.

I know it's still early days, but the Wii U is looking more and more like a bargain bin purchase for me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 25, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
Lol. At this rate the only games that will ever see light of day on Wii U will all be first party.
I'm disappointed, but ultimately, okay with this. I buy Nintendo hardware specifically for Nintendo games. I'm more than ready and willing to buy 3rd party games and have in the past, but if they won't accommodate me, I won't (and technically, can't) accommodate them. I'm unable to buy something that doesn't exist. I'm not even considering a PS4 until it's down to sub-$250 (sales will suffice) which I don't expect it to hit for like 3-4 years. So be it. If I must, I'll buy a PC and catch up on 3rd party titles that way when their games go on super-sale via Steam. If they didn't disappoint me so much as a consumer, they could have more of my money. Oh well. This is more their loss than mine.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
I'm disappointed, but ultimately, okay with this. I buy Nintendo hardware specifically for Nintendo games. I'm more than ready and willing to buy 3rd party games and have in the past, but if they won't accommodate me, I won't (and technically, can't) accommodate them. I'm unable to buy something that doesn't exist. I'm not even considering a PS4 until it's down to sub-$250 (sales will suffice) which I don't expect it to hit for like 3-4 years. So be it. If I must, I'll buy a PC and catch up on 3rd party titles that way when their games go on super-sale via Steam. If they didn't disappoint me so much as a consumer, they could have more of my money. Oh well. This is more their loss than mine.
I am in this camp too. I expect PS4 to be quite expensive and at the moment, I don't care about X-Box.
I also think things will settle down and WiiU will get the usual multi-platform releases eventually. I think there is some sort of development gap right now where the "big" multi-plat games coming out soon were well along into their development before WiiU dev kits showed up so a business decision was made just to devote all existing resources to finishing the current versions. I think this has basically happened for games like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. I am not sure what's going on with GTA 5.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 25, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
Does anyone know how long Galaxy was in development for and how long it took to complete Galaxy 2? (Paging TJ Spyke....TJ Spyke to the front desk)

I have a feeling they might try the same thing with Pikmin....

And I doubt GTA5 will ever make it to Wii U. Unless Rockstar wants to develop for the console, porting an engine over is just a waste of time (but maybe not money).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 25, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
If the Wii U is a 3rd party wasteland now, when it is the newest released and apparently the most powerful, I don't have much confidence for later when the other 2 (far more powerful) offerings are also on the field.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 25, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
Does anyone know how long Galaxy was in development for and how long it took to complete Galaxy 2? (Paging TJ Spyke....TJ Spyke to the front desk)

Galaxy - 3 years

Galaxy 2 - 2 years
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:06 AM »

I know it's still early days, but the Wii U is looking more and more like a bargain bin purchase for me.

We'll see. Rumor has it Beyond Good and Evil 2 and the new Splinter Cell are coming out for it.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »

We'll see. Rumor has it Beyond Good and Evil 2 and the new Splinter Cell are coming out for it.
Ubisoft does still seem to be giving it all its multiplatform love.  So here's hoping.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #798 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
I won't believe it until I see that both games were delayed so that they could be ported to Wii U.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
I won't believe it until I see that both games were delayed so that they could be ported to Wii U.
Congratulations, Black Bat!  Proper Usage.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.