Author Topic: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)  (Read 412397 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
4.6% of Indy Developers Working On Wii U
« Reply #800 on: February 28, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
-4.6% of North American Independant developers working on Wii U.

-13.2 for XBox 360

-13% for PS3

-11% moving to PS4/720

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/study-46-percent-of-developers-making-wii-u-games-6404615?

Interesting read, check it out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:20:34 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
« Reply #801 on: February 28, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
Only 2.8% of developers are working on the 3DS?  Are they all just stupid or SO anti-Nintendo that they'll leave money on the table just to spite them?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 28, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »
Only 2.8% of developers are working on the 3DS?  Are they all just stupid or SO anti-Nintendo that they'll leave money on the table just to spite them?

A little from column A, a little from column B. I'm not sure who is working on the Vita but its funny that western developers don't like handhelds much. They probably have the mindset that a lot of people have, they only want that big screen experience so the pick up and play, stop and go philosophy behind hand helds don't appeal to them. Especially if they have to make a "dumbed" down version of their console game.

Though that philosophy doesn't apply to the Indy scene as much because as far as I can tell most of those games are quick, pick up and plays too. So yeah, one would think many more would jump on the 3DS band wagon.

Or maybe they are all secretly waiting for Pokemon to reshape civilization again so their efforts are less risky.

RomanceDawn

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 28, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
Look at the eShop releases; there's tons of stuff coming to the 3DS from western developers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 28, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Look at the eShop releases; there's tons of stuff coming to the 3DS from western developers.

Your right! But how much more are we missing?!

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
Most of the best games I've played in the last 7-8 years have been on DS/3DS.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 28, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Most of the best games I've played in the last 7-8 years have been on DS/3DS.
How many of those aren't published by Nintendo?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Roughly half. Only 1 is developed by a Western team, but the publisher is Japanese. My previous post was in specifically in response to this:
They probably have the mindset that a lot of people have, they only want that big screen experience so the pick up and play, stop and go philosophy behind hand helds don't appeal to them. Especially if they have to make a "dumbed" down version of their console game.
It's a shame because handhelds are perfectly capable of providing great entertainment. They don't need to make a dumbed down version. Revelaitons is a perfect example of a handheld game done right. It's infinitely better than the flagship console installment. Take it seriously and you get my money.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:45:35 PM by Adrock »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:33 PM »
street fighter 4 3d is also a very good example gimped only by graphics and the mh3g demo seems to pull this off as well

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 28, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
The interesting thing is isn't that Mega Man clone selling the best on the 3DS according to the creator even though it's on iOS, Android, PC, etc.?   Seems like these creators have no idea what they are doing.  They think, well, everyone says these are the best systems.  So I guess I have to create my game for it.  Nintendo? Everyone hates them, so why would I put my game there?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
They probably have the mindset that a lot of people have, they only want that big screen experience so the pick up and play, stop and go philosophy behind handhelds don't appeal to them.

Then explain why all the big indie games are on mobile devices (iOS, Android, etc.) now...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 01, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »
They probably have the mindset that a lot of people have, they only want that big screen experience so the pick up and play, stop and go philosophy behind handhelds don't appeal to them.

Then explain why all the big indie games are on mobile devices (iOS, Android, etc.) now...

Man did you not continue reading past that sentence?

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:05 AM »

The big indie games are on mobile devices because it is easier and cheaper to develop for than bigger consoles.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »

Cheaper to develop for
Less of a barrier of entry for the userbase
a chance you can become a millionaire over night
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 03, 2013, 01:48:37 PM »

Cheaper to develop for
Less of a barrier of entry for the userbase
a chance you can become a millionaire over night
a jackshit chance honestly. angry birds came early enough in the iphone's life to make a big fuss and did so only because of luck.
on the eshop (or psn/xbla) if its good enough you will likely get a return on investment.

minecraft, angry birds, all of them were just lucky

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:03 PM »
Well yeah but people see the few success stories and attempt to go after that market space in hopes they can become an overnight success. The most recent success is that Puzzle and Dragons game that grossing 2 million a day.

Its short sighted when you have lucrative platforms like xbla/psn/eshop that can be exploited.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #816 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:31 AM »
Western developers tend to look at the user base and potential profit. Hundreds of Millions is a lot more tempting then a tens of millions any day. It doesn't help that sites like to spin mobile numbers to make the market more appealing than it really is. They see this gimped game that didn't take a lot of development time and money and it is raking in tens of millions of downloads. They forget to ask themselves the question what percentage of that are bought in sales and "freemium" setting, and the actual pay back is next to nothing.

And then look at the portables and see "overpriced" games selling thousands (even though it makes them their money back). It boils down to a lack of research and what look like a good get rich quick scheme.

Another thing to consider is market practices of developers like Square-Enix, and Capcom, who offer gimped games at premium prices and charge to unlock the game. (Or you can consider the utter lack of policing done by the market owners Apple and Google, which will end in a figurative legal cluster f***, from both consumer who are ripped off and IP owners who works are taken with impunity.) These practices don't fly very well in the "core" console market and it will be only a matter of before the mobile market "wises" up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:42:38 AM by BlkPaladin »
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 23, 2013, 03:42:30 AM »
Bayonetta (the 1st one) coming to Wii U?
...who knows, but Hideki Kamiya is a GAF reader
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/315357146277617664
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:45:48 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 23, 2013, 04:32:04 AM »
Bayonetta (the 1st one) coming to Wii U?
...who knows, but Hadeki Kamiya is a GAF reader
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/315357146277617664

The moment part 2 was announced I assumed we'd get the first one some way or another. Wouldn't be surprised if this we were true.

Now I wonder what this twitter guy thought about the gaf meltdowns when the Wii U announcement took place?

RomanceDawn

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 23, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »
...who knows, but Hadeki Kamiya is a GAF reader
Kamiya is too cool for GAF.

Also he didn't said anything.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
I find it funny that the Vita is getting Telltale's walking dead season one but not Wii U.

On that note anyone pick up the AMC walking dead game?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #821 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
As long as Telltale's continues to be a glitchy, bug ridden disaster, the FPS will be a better game. And that ain't saying a whole lot.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
Survival Instinct is developed by Terminal Reality...and it doesn't look good from what I've seen. 
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #823 on: March 24, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
It' currently sports a 36 on Metacritic.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Lazyking

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »
Hi I'm new here.. Wasn't sure where exactly to post this. I've been playing old NES roms on my pc and getting really attached to some of the characters. So much so that I'm looking into buying the Wii U. The last system I owned was the PS2. I like serious games but they've lost a little bit of the connection I had with them when I was younger... so Nintendo seems right up my alley, character driven, fun games.  The chance to download and play games on the Wii U is also a big draw as is the off tv gamepad..

I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to save up and buy a wii u  given my prefrences? I'm really getting into Mega man, Kirby, Metroid etc.. I'm not likely to buy another system so the only drawback I see potentially is missing out on some serious games like God of War.. I'm also unsure about the sports games on the Wii U..

Advice?