Author Topic: Frozen Synapse: Tactical Chess Violence Ballet  (Read 1349 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Frozen Synapse: Tactical Chess Violence Ballet
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:03:22 AM »

It can be found Here or on Steam for PC and Mac(Both Intel and PPC!) and has rock bottom system requirements 1+GHz, 512Megs RAM and some sort of graphics capability. They are currently both the same price right now at $20 and they both come with Steam keys and a free copy for a friend. I currently still got my copy and looking to trade it for another game on Steam although if nothing comes of it, I might consider offering it up as a Mafia prize with a matching theme...

What is Frozen Synapse?

I ask you a question in return. Have you heard of or played the original Rainbow 6? You seen Tron? This game is the planning phase of that game broken up into 5 second turns painted in Tron. It has to be seen to be understood so here is a bunch of Youtube results. Basically you and your opponent plan out 5 seconds chunks which your team execute simultaneously once each side has submitted it's plan. Each piece has a single weapon that can be a shotgun, machine gun, sniper, rocket or nade launcher. They each have their own weakness and strengths based on the weapon type and for anybody who has played a game with guns, it's pretty self explanatory.

There are no health bars as any one hit will kill and all units of the same type are made equal. The only thing saving your team is how well you can manoeuvre your pieces ducking through cover, position, range, facing/aiming, "Stillness" and posture. The units will follow your orders precisely, so if you send a unit into a wall without blowing it up with a rocket first, it will continue walking into that wall. The only free will the units have is who to fire upon (I believe it's closest/closest to firing upon first) and even that can be subsumed should it be required. It's possible to have opposing units cross each other point blank and not fire if both are told not to.

The single player campaign is fairly hard. The computer gets more units and better postions. The only advantage you have is that you're sentient. While the AI can come up with some very good plans, you can always come up with better, more innovative plans although the AI has a nasty habit of sniping you through the tinniest openings. When a plan goes as planned, it's a ballet of violence.

I have only played a couple of games of multi and it's crazy when you both counter guess each other and you dance around each other and no one dies. Early kills are quite important as it allows you to leverage the extra units you have, but until till the last unit is down, there is a chance of a come back or forcing a draw or a weak victory on your opponent.

Games can last anywhere from minutes to days depending how active the players are and you can have as many games going at the same time as you can handle. Matching are made according to your level, so you won't gets paired with some one who has played dozens of games to your zero. I highly suggest that you play single player before jumping into multi unless you enjoy losing. It has Youtube and social network integration. You can view your old games to see where you went wrong and others to see where they went right. There are a number of modes like deathmatch, hostage, secure and charge.

There is currently no demo and the word has it co-op is planned to be added. If a forum member wants a game, user name is oohhboy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Frozen Synapse: Tactical Chess Violence Ballet
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:02:21 AM »
Will trade for stuff here, if interested.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report