Author Topic: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.  (Read 44921 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
The Paper in the title Super Paper Mario is a metaphor for Mario's soul. When we play Paper Mario, we get a glimpse of Mario Mario's inner thoughts and dreams. The platforming in Super Paper Mario weakens the Paper, aka the Soul. Wherein Thousand Year Door was an affirmation of life due to its turn based battle system. The inclusion of action platforming in Super Paper Mario is unnatural and therefore falls into the Uncanny Valley. The Uncanny Valley of Soul.

In conclusion, too much Super, not enough Paper.

No, I haven't played the game, why do you ask?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
The Paper in the title Super Paper Mario is a metaphor for Mario's soul. When we play Paper Mario, we get a glimpse of Mario Mario's inner thoughts and dreams. The platforming in Super Paper Mario weakens the Paper, aka the Soul. Wherein Thousand Year Door was an affirmation of life due to its turn based battle system. The inclusion of action platforming in Super Paper Mario is unnatural and therefore falls into the Uncanny Valley. The Uncanny Valley of Soul.

In conclusion, too much Super, not enough Paper.

No, I haven't played the game, why do you ask?

Wow you must be psychic, you are dead on!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2007, 09:45:26 AM »
Just beat the game.  In the end i have to say the story in its way was good but some decisions really hinderred this game from being great.  Also did anyone else notice that their is a spot for "NOA Product Testing" but his has no on under it?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 22, 2007, 01:21:47 AM »
Super Paper Mario finally hits Europe and Australia in September 2007: link

I'm expecting NWR to pick this up at some point.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2007, 08:23:26 AM »
The game was so awesome nobody needed to test it?

I love the game and consider it to be at least in a tie with Zelda, if not my favourite on the Wii.  It's a little on the easy side, but then TTYD wasn't exactly hard either.

I think my one complaint would be how a few chapters have "twist" endings that feel kind of...sprung on the player.  You beat a boss, and a bunch of exposition shows that things weren't really as they seemed, complete with sudden, unexpected beahviour changes from the cast.

I think the game's big "problem" (which didn't actually bother me) is that it's not an amazing platformer.  I accept this because it's really meant to be an adventure game with platforming in it, but I can see where the so-so platforming design and repetitive combat disappoints others.  Personally I thought the mix worked out beautifully, the whole is more than the sum of the parts...or something like that.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
Seriously, NoE needs a punch in the face.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2007, 09:49:48 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
I think my one complaint would be how a few chapters have "twist" endings that feel kind of...sprung on the player.  You beat a boss, and a bunch of exposition shows that things weren't really as they seemed, complete with sudden, unexpected beahviour changes from the cast.
You're going to need to explain this, because even though I beat the game I have no clue what you're talking about.  Unless you're talking about O'Chucks and Mimi in chapters 8-1 and 8-2.  Then the answer is that they followed Count Bleck out of loyalty, even though they both knew that he was wrong for quite some time.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2007, 06:35:50 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Seriously, NoE needs a punch in the face.

Well, I consider it fair. You guys got Strikers, which I can't -wait- to get my hands on, and we got SPM.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »
That and America never got Doshin the Giant.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2007, 07:30:02 AM »
Okay it's official, I absolutely love this game. The mix of platformer and RPG elements, aswell as the dimensional shifting work absolutely flawlessly. Unbelievable.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2007, 01:47:01 PM »
ShineGet887 are you a plant?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
ShineGet887 are you a plant?

I don't follow?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2007, 04:09:47 PM »

Originally posted by: ShineGet887
Okay it's official, I absolutely love this game. The mix of platformer and RPG elements, aswell as the dimensional shifting work absolutely flawlessly. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry.  I guess you just really really like the game.  As I said I just feel that it was a good game that could have been great.  One of the big steps forward would have been a little less RPG to it and a way to teach the other characters to flip.

Offline ShineGet887

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric

Originally posted by: ShineGet887

I'm sorry.  I guess you just really really like the game.  As I said I just feel that it was a good game that could have been great.  One of the big steps forward would have been a little less RPG to it and a way to teach the other characters to flip.

SPM appears to breathe new life into a series I've had some major issues with in the past, hence why I was so excited. Another part of it could be that I'm just happy to be playing something new on my Wii since launch.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Super. Paper. Mario. April. 2007.
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
Is this the right thread?

Anyways, finally beat the game. I didn't like the art style as much as previous Paper Marios, and the game felt more tedious. It was good, but not great.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »
I absolutely loved Chapter 4, great game.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »
Damn this game to hell for not giving the flipping ability to Bowser.

Man, I can't believe I completely missed this back when this was posted...

Yeah, Bowser should have been given the ability to flip the bird at any time, especially since in the Japanese version of Mario RPG Bowser had a very rude but appropriate victory stance.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
This thread is a good reminder for me that I'm only halfway through this game. I absolutely love what I've played so far, but I promised a friend of mine he could borrow the game once he got his Wii back from Nintendo.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2008, 07:09:43 PM »
The later levels became less inspired as it went on.

I hated the entire space chapter.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2008, 07:29:22 PM »

Yeah, I found myself loving the early levels thanks to some creative level design and great bouts of humor. But afterwards, it started losing its charm. It got so bad that when I accidentally deleted my save file, I stopped playing and never went back. I never felt compelled to finish it. And if it wasn't for the fact that S_B was constantly pushing me towards finishing it I would have stopped after a while.

Its still a good game, though, and fans should play it at least once for some great Bowser, Peach and Luigi moments. Its just that for me it didn't meet expectations
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »

I think that's around the time I quit playing.  Although I was never particularly charmed even by the earlier levels.  As an RPG it felt like a crippled Paper Mario, but as a platformer it was extremely simplistic and dull.  Rather than a meaningful hybridization it felt like a combination of the worst of both worlds to me.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2008, 08:49:15 PM »
I have to say they should have just focussed on it being a platformer.  Later levels where dull and finding where the put the heart became extremely tedious.  As I said good idea marred with some really terrible implementation.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »
I hated the fact that only Mario could switch to 3D.  Since that was such a big portion of the game, I was forced to use Mario 99% of the time if I didn't want to miss any secrets.  It made the other characters pretty worthless.

Other than that, great game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »
needs more Geno.... CHU-CHU trainwreck a-comin!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:06 AM »
EVERY game needs more Geno
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.