Author Topic: AIAS Winners from D.I.C.E.!  (Read 8609 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
AIAS Winners from D.I.C.E.!
« on: February 27, 2003, 07:03:06 PM »
Find out what games on Nintendo systems won awards tonight at the "Oscars" of gaming.

Billy just phoned in from Las Vegas with a live update on the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences award winners.  Following is a list of all winners that have appeared or will soon appear on GameCube or GBA.

Console Game of the Year - Splinter Cell
Handheld Game of the Year - Metroid Fusion
First-Person Action Game of the Year - Metroid Prime
Role-Playing Game of the Year - Animal Crossing
Sports Game of the Year - Madden NFL 2003
Racing Game of the Year - Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Family Title of the Year - Mario Party 4
Innovation in Console Gaming - Animal Crossing
Outstanding Achievement in Character and Story - Eternal Darkness
Outstanding Achievement in Game Design - Animal Crossing
Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - Splinter Cell
Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Medal of Honor: Frontline
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Medal of Honor: Frontline

The big winner from Nintendo is Animal Crossing, racking up three awards, including RPG of the Year over games like Final Fantasy X and Suikoden 3.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ArtVandelay

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 07:15:14 PM »
Aren't all of those available for Gamecube, or soon will be? We slaughtered, even if they aren't all exclusives. Ah, it's times like these that make me proud to be a Cube owner.
George is gettin upset!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 07:16:33 PM »
Aw bloody hell.  As if Metroid Prime didn't win console game of the year.  Ah well, Nintendo still cleaned house, and Splinter Cell is coming to GameCube anyway.

I am very pleased to see Eternal Darkness on the list though.  It definately belongs there.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 07:19:41 PM »
Hmmm.... it seems I can't edit my posts in this part of the forum?

Anyways, what I was trying to edit my post to say was: Art, you are absolutely right.  Every one of those games is available for GameCube, or is coming shortly.    Definately a plus for Nintendo any way you look at it.  We can now say that Nintendo has the best games, and have the proof to back it up.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 07:26:05 PM »
Sigh, while Nintendo did get a bunch of awards, im disapointed that MP didnt win Overall GOTY.  

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 07:26:37 PM »
Let me get this straight. Metroid Prime only got 1 out of 10 awards. I'm happy for Animal Crossing and Eternal Darkness, but I'm really disappointed Prime didn't have more.

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2003, 07:29:05 PM »
I would be interested to see which games won in other catagories, if someone knows and can be bothered typing the results up.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2003, 07:32:12 PM »
Battlefield 1942 was the overall game of the year for the PC, for those that are curious.

And I do believe I said that Mario Sunshine wouldn't win anything this year.  I was right.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline RahXephon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2003, 07:34:18 PM »
I cant believe prime didnt do better.  That hurts me deeply deeply.  I really would have like to see more prime.  I am gonna crawl into fetal position from sadness.
Fry's Grandma in the past-"Killed., In an atomic Blast.... No sir I don't take much comfort in the fact the trigger function worked perfectly."
Fry-"There there, if it makes you feel any better, his body was vaporized, so there's no chance of him coming back as a zombie."
Fry's Grandma-"I'm no

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2003, 07:40:33 PM »
This is not the complete list of winners.  We intentionally only posted the winners that have or will appear on GameCube.  I think the article states that quite clearly...
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2003, 07:48:52 PM »
It's great that Animal Crossing won such recognition, but it amazes me that one of the most seminal games of the year on the GameCube, the game I purchased my GameCube to play, has never been released in Pal format, even in the most generic of terms (eg, without localised holidays)

People say that localised holidays are what makes Animal Crossing incredible, and to an extent I would agree, however imaginary holidays would be better than playing the US version with free-loader or import Cube.

It's too bad that Metroid Prime didn't win more. Although I haven't had a chance to play it yet, it still isn't out where I live, it looks fantastic.

What did win platformer of the year? Ratchet and Clank?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2003, 07:51:33 PM »
I am just FLOORED that Animal Crossing got RPG of the year.  I suppose that when it comes right down to it, Animal Crossing is more of a real "role playing" game than what we might normally consider for the genre.  Still, quite a surprise.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2003, 07:54:29 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty shocked about that myself.  I am SO glad that nothing with Final Fantasy or Hearts in the title won that though.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2003, 07:56:37 PM »
i sensed that animal crossing would take rpg of the year, but i am pretty annoyed with splitter cell winning console game of the year. reviews from most major sites seemed to agree prime was better......who the fick votes for this stuff anyways?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2003, 07:59:11 PM »
I am pretty glad AC did well.

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 08:04:10 PM »
I'm quite in shock at some of the winners... and I'm quite confused how Splinter Cell would win Console Game of the Year but yet not get nominated for Overall Game of the Year

The Animal Crossing awards is definitely the biggest shocker for me though. Innovation I really expected, but RPG and Game Design is something I didn't expect Animal Crossing to win in.

I'm also quite curious how The Two Towers won on Visual Engineering as well... I really wouldn't call it a technical masterpiece when it comes to visuals... unless the clips from the movies helped to sway the decision

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2003, 08:16:41 PM »
What won overall game of the year?
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline theblindtree

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2003, 09:18:59 PM »
Ah, Metroid Prime...the Susan Lucci of videogames.

I'm not upset about the results, but they do seem quite shocking.  Seriously, is anybody else confused why MP won First Person Action Game of the Year, but BF1942 won Overall Game of the Year?  Just my opinion, but that seems...backwards.  That said, I think all of the developers should be very proud of their achievements, as we look forward to seeing more from them in the future.

PS.  Way to go Animal Crossing and Eternal Darkness!  Where can I find the complete list of winners?

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2003, 04:36:17 AM »
Hmmm, does this mean we'll be seeing those little stickers saying "Winner Of" on Animal Crossing and Metroid boxes, like Nintendo did in the N64 days for Ocarina and Goldeneye?

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2003, 05:15:09 AM »
Hm, I know this isn't the full list... but I pretty much agree with all the choices here, sounds like a reasonable list. Does anyone have a link to the full list of winners?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2003, 06:12:34 AM »
"I'm quite confused how Splinter Cell would win Console Game of the Year but yet not get nominated for Overall Game of the Year."

Same here.  Any sort of logic would dictate any console game that was nominated for overall game of the year is "better" than any console game that wasn't.  I guess Splinter Cell should have been nominated for overall game.  Personally I'm just happy that Vice City didn't win.  It still seems pretty odd for a game to be nominated for ten awards and only win one.  Of course ever since SSX won game of the year I've questioned the merit of the awards anyway.

Interesting coincedence: two years in a row the widely considered game of the year lost out to a hyped up Xbox title.  If Zelda loses to Halo 2 conspiracy theories are going to start coming up.

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2003, 08:52:30 AM »
I'm just confused it won over MP. I mean I have them both and they are both great games and all but SC was nothing compared to MP. How many tactical stealth games are there? Okay now how many games like MP? Hmm-mm
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2003, 02:25:10 PM »
For those wanting a Complete list of the AIAS winners, go to Gamespot.com in the News section. Interesting results is all I can say.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2003, 12:44:03 AM »
PS2 fanatics, who critisise the GameCube for not having any good RPG's, are amazed that Animal Crossing won best RPG....while Nintendo fans lose out in the best platformer to Ratchet and Clank, I fully realise that this doesn't mean must for for the big picture per se, but it's kind of interesting.

Offline reyontoyeny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2003, 10:36:12 AM »
I love the Medal of Honor Fronline scores. I'm glad it won. It deserved it.