• Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Lost
« Reply #600 on: May 28, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
See, this is what I'm talking about.

"Walt is special" is unacceptable to the viewer

"Walt is a superhero" is acceptable to the viewer

"Walt was born with psychic powers" is acceptable to the viewer

Not a criticism of Spak-Spang or anybody else, just an observation about people and fiction.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 29, 2010, 06:43:45 AM »
You know as time goes on I'm more and more pleased with how Lost ended. I think the creators gave adequate clues to come up with our own conclusions about most of the mysteries, and let's face it direct answers to something like "what is the island" isn't nearly as interesting as coming to our conclusions. To me the island was the gateway to the spiritual realm and has been around since the beginning. Throughout the years various protectors were chosen, with perhaps the first being put in place by a God like being. Really I could go on but my point is that we didn't really need an answer to it.

The same applies to the Egyptian influence on the island. Now whether they came before the MIB or not is up in the air, since the evil that made up the smoke monster from the corpse of the MIB could have came into existence prior (explaining the skeletons in the cave with the light source). Basically the struggle we seen between Jacob and the MIB may not have been the first, nor the last to occur on the island. Or the Egyptian references to the smoke monster may have been created after the events between Jacob and his brother. Who knows, but the speculation is much more fun then getting an answer that may or may not be satisfactory.

The clues are there, that to me is all that matters, it reminds me of Stephen King's Colorado Kid, a detective mystery novel, it has not "answer" to the death but there are enough clues to make our own conclusion. I have little doubt the creators of Lost have their own answers to the questions raised. I mean if they wrote into the show that the cave and the mystical cork containing the essence of the island was created by an original civilization living there, like oh, the city of Atlantis, would that have been better? Don't think so.

Now about Walt, his task may have been completed when he got Locke out of the pit after being shot by Ben in season 3, because that set into motion the events leading up to the end. Perhaps he had a psychic link to the island, consciously or subconsciously and accomplished what he needed to.

Anyways It is neat to think of the events of Lost being from the perspective of those on the island like Spak brought up. It opened up a unique way of telling the story when we knew the people were flawed and were not always correct in what they said. Ben being the perfect example of saying things that were not necessarily true.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #602 on: May 29, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »
GP:  Exactly.  Everyone that asks for answers to the mysteries I just want to say look at X-Files and Star Wars for your example what happens when you ask for too many answers.  As mysteries get revealed they can never be as cool as you like/want. 

I enjoyed Lost for what it was, and I knew it would never give me everything, and I was happy to get the answers we got.  So we can argue about the show and missteps all we want...everything has them, even the best classical literature can be improved.  Stories are never perfect...but sometimes the imperfects can make them better.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:43 PM »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 05, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
Lost in 5 Seconds.

My general impression of the ending: "What?  That's it?"  I'm fine with the ending being emotion/character-based, but I just didn't find it very satisfying and given the sheer number of unexplained BS it seems pretty obvious the writers didn't have any idea how they were going to explain anything.  Instead, they just piled on the "mysteries" to try to make the sheer number of them hide just how gimmicky this series is.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »
I heard that Lost ended with the reveal that everyone was dead the entire time

How does that make all of you feel?

Personally I've decided to not even bother watching the final season now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
No, it doesn't reveal that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 08, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
No, it doesn't reveal that.

So I was misinformed, not spoiled and should proceed to watch the entire last season at some point this summer?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 08, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
Absolutely

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
Is it possible that she is an idiot and misinterpreted what was going on or is it possible to take that conclusion from what happened?

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
The former.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »
She wouldn't be the first person who thought that, but I don't know how they could come to that conclusion when they flat out state the opposite.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 20, 2010, 06:23:48 PM »
I have been watching Lost like a crazy person the past month. I have now gotten to Season 5, this show is like a drug, it's so crazy you just have to watch more and more!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #614 on: June 20, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »
That's how I watched seasons 1-5. I don't know if I could have beared waiting a week or more between episodes that whole time.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: June 22, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
She wouldn't be the first person who thought that, but I don't know how they could come to that conclusion when they flat out state the opposite.

The ending part during the credits confused a lot of people.  They show plan Oceanic Flight 815 wreckage and no one around, supposedly added by ABC as a "decompressor," and just about half the people misread it as meaning the show never really happened.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 29, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »
I am at the end of Lost. Probably going to watch The End tomorrow since its a long one.

That was satisfying which is more than most shows can say. I still don't know exactly what happened but it makes you think.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:20:16 AM by kraken613 »
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf