Author Topic: Playstation Portable vs. GameBoy Advance: The War is On  (Read 24154 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Playstation Portable vs. GameBoy Advance: The War is On
« on: May 13, 2003, 10:16:05 AM »
Wow.

That's all I can say.  Finally Sony has announced its GameBoy killer, the Playstation Portable.  Check CNN.com's E3 page for the full scoop.

Hmm, it'll use a proprietary disc format, feature 3-D graphics, use Sony Memory Stick data technology, feature a backlit screen and a rechargeable battery.  In other words, it has all the strengths of the GBA SP and then some - essentially a portable PSOne.

Looks like Sony is trying to bury Nintendo once and for all.  I wonder how the Big N will counter this one?  They have the massive installed userbase of the GBA, but assuming the PSP can play all Playstation games that gives it a library just as massive (and one would argue a lot more up-to-date) than the GBA's library.

The thought of playing Final Fantasy VII on the road does indeed intrigue me...

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Playstation Portable vs. GameBoy Advance: The War is On
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 10:18:35 AM »
hrm moving parts... could cost them battery life, a big battery could cost them size..

inteed it is an intruiging developement..

how would it play the entire playstation library? it surely cant fit cd roms in it... that would make it enormous for a hand held.. heres the link by the way

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 10:24:56 AM »
Good point...I bet it plays mini-discs.  Battery life isn't that much of an issue since it's rechargeable.  As long as it lasts 10 hours non-stop I think that's reasonable.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 10:41:44 AM »
This is very different than when Sony moved in on the console market.  I am sure that Nintendo has this one in the bag.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 10:46:29 AM »

May 13, 2003: 3:04 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (CNN/Money) - Sony threw the gaming industry a curve Wednesday, announcing plans to launch a portable gaming system, which will compete directly with Nintendo's GameBoy Advance.

Today is only Tuesday, May 13, 2003.  ????WTF????
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 10:47:38 AM »
I'll hold my opinions until we actually see the unit and the pricing. Then we'll see if it's as laughable as the N-gage.

Offline Crono Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 10:49:40 AM »
Heh......this should be interesting.

Will sony pull it off like they did with the playstation......or will it flop like everything else thats challenged Gameboy?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 11:51:16 AM »
Dammit- the portable industry was one place I at least didn't HAVE to own multiple consoles just to enjoy all the good games, but now Sony's screwing that up. They would make a LOT more money just making games for the GBA, like Microsoft, instead of trying to take down Nintendo again.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 02:08:12 PM »
it says it is going to come out around 2004- i bet nintendo already has new ideas for a new gameboy
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 02:24:26 PM »
I think Nintendo has to make sure not to underestimate the potential of the PSP.  When Nintendo is number one they tend to relax a bit and assume that because they're number one they can do whatever they want.  This is a 3D handheld which means that it has a huge advantage over the GBA right off the bat.  Nintendo has to make sure they are agressive in competing with this new product because if they lose their dominance over the portable market they're pretty much screwed and will have TWO consoles in last place.  Nintendo can't continue their lazy port-happy support of the GBA if they want to stay ahead.

Overall though I'm happy about this because it should light a fire under Nintendo's @ss.  I'm very sick of having nothing but SNES ports and maybe now Nintendo will give us something we really want like a new GBA Mario game.

Offline atrossity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 02:30:48 PM »
heres a better link:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/news/news_6027470.html

woo woo cant wait

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 02:39:49 PM »
Everyone already knows that there is a new gameboy in development.
One thing that I think is really going to determine this thing is price.  Reading the specs on that thing, everything just sounds really expensive.  If I have to pick between a $200+ PSP, and a $100-150 GB-X I am going with Nintendo.  

Also I think it is important for Nintendo to be sure to keep up the backwards compatability with the gameboy.  Use some of the really choice GBA titles to sell the system.  It would help a lot at launch.  Just as with the PS2 playing PS1 games.  One of the biggest things that hurt the N64 was a huge lack of launch titles.  I think there were like four games out for the first month of that system.

The GB/GBC were like portable a NES.
The GBA is like a portable SNES (but a little better)
If Nintendo can make a system that is as powerful as the N64, without some of that systems faults, I think they would be near unbeatable.  With such a small screen you aren't going to be able to display much more complex graphics than that anyway.  

In the past they have tried to keep the $100 launch price.  I think they could moved it up to $150, but used that 50 to really flesh out the system and remove anything people could nitpick about.  Keep is about the same size as the GBA SP (folding is an awsome idea, i say stick to it).  Make sure it has a lit screen, headphone jack(no adapters), rechargable battery (the same or better life than the GBA-SP, or even an option to use one of those fancy micro fuel cells that are being developed for laptops! *drool*), a wireless link as well as wired one (gotta keep that for the old games/GC links).

I am sure Nintendo has already thought of all of these things, and probably some better ones.  I just hope they make the right decision and go for the gusto instead of the bottom line.  The gameboy has a history that cannot be undone, I just hope Nintendo doesn't think they are cemented at the top of the portable hill.  If they aren't careful that great history might be all that is left of the Game Boy in a few years.  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 04:02:22 PM »
Im worries as a Nintendo fan, while a GBA sp will cost a whole lot less than this, the Playstation brand name alone will sell this. Third parties will produce games for it, and Nintendo will loose money. Nintendo needs to step it up cause they will end up getting the shaft soon and it wont be pretty

Offline kaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 04:10:38 PM »
The PSP truly is the Walkman of the 21st century.   The system will have more power than the PS1, disks will have 1.8 GB capacity,  a 4.5" widescreen backlit display, memory stick and USB enabled.  Developers will no doubt flock to this system and easily rehash their PS1 games to get them on the PSP.

And games is only the beginning for this system.  Utilizing the Universal Media Device (UMD) you can bet Sony will be releasing music albums and movies for the system.  Since the PSP uses memory sticks for the storage medium you'll be able to pop your card out of your digital camera and view your images and movies on the PSP (assuming you have a Sony digital camera).  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony release UMDs with PDA type software.  I've already heard speculation that some GPS functionality will be built in.  You would then purchase regional UMDs to get detailed street and/or typography maps.  The PSP could be that long fabled all-in-one system that combines your multiple portables.  This may work to Nintendo's advantage if they continue to market themselves as the "games-only" console/portable.

The USB connection is very intriguing as well.  I'm assuming this or some other proprietary connection is how the PSP will talk to other PSPs, and PS2s (and in the next 2-3 years the PS3).   I can see it already...  Mod your PSP, upload your MP3s and MPGs to your Memory Sticks, then use a pirated UMD loaded with software to play them on the road.

If Sony is smart they'll slap on some RCA plugs so you can connect it directly to an external source.

Nintendo definitely has their work cut out for them if they want to stay on top of this market.  Sony's price-point will be a major obstacle for them.  With all this technology I can't believe this system will make it out the door for less than 200.  Which probably won't include a memory stick.   I also have to speculate how much software will be for the PSP.  Sony will no doubt want to compete with GBA prices, but due to the system's power games will be more robust and could cost more to make.  49.99 for games could scare off some parents doing some comparitive shopping, but the way game prices have been dropping lately this shouldn't matter in the long run.  Sony could even try to spark sales by releasing some PS1 "Greatest Hits" for the PSP at 19.99.

A lot of what I mentioned was speculative, and meant to spur thought and discussion.  I hope Nintendo has something planned to stay on top...  Skip the Portable N64.  Now how about a portable GC?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 04:11:03 PM »
Jollus: I'd especially pick up a GB-X over a PSP since the GB-X will obviously be backwards compatible, while the PSP will have to work up it's own library of games. So the GB-X will not only have a huge installed user base but a huge installed game selection as well. The same marketing approach worked great for the PS2 (and it IS really nice getting to play PSX games since I never had one).

Interesting note- Iwata has stated that considering several factors about the PSP, Nintendo doesn't think it'll pose much of a threat. While I agree with him to a degree, I definitely think Nintendo should TREAT the PSP as a threat. Even if their little market analysts don't think the PSP has much of a chance in the handheld sector, ACT like it has a very good chance. Erradicate Sony now or they'll be nipping at the GB's heals for years. Nintendo needs to let Sony know that handhelds are IT'S market, NOT Sony's, and they need puncuate that by insuring the PSP sells no better than the WonderSwan.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2003, 05:20:28 PM »
I completely agree with Mouse_clicker here.  Even if PSP doesn't pose much of a threat, Nintendo needs to shut them down from the start.  They need to not only show Sony what it is like to be starting late but put out a marketing ploy so big that Sony will back out.  Now, is this extremely likely? No, probably not.  One thing is for sure, it will sell, simply because it has that Playstation nametag placed on it.  But Nintendo can and needs to overcome that.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2003, 05:29:53 PM »
Good comments all. Sony has a tough battle, but Nintendo can't sleep on this like the N64. They have the experince, but Sony has an extremely strong brand name in the console sector that could easily translate to buyers if Nintendo plays its cards wrong. They need to play the game like Sony and instead of being ultra secreative of their intentions, they need start getting the specs out to the public with as much fanfare or even boasting as possible. Hype is a very powerful tool these days.

I was hoping that handhelds wouldn't go 3d so soon, however. Sprite based games have almost completely vanished on consoles, but the GBA has been keeping 2d alive with a vengenace. I have loved playing SNES/GENSIS ports along with games like Advance Wars and Golden Sun that really take advantage of the GBA's power. I don't see that little bastion of 2d gaming lasting long when PSX ports of Tony Hawk or FF starting showing up. I can't blame Sony for wanting to take some of the handheld pie, but they are ever so methodically killing one the things I miss from this generation.  

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2003, 06:24:06 PM »
I wonder why Sony announced it now?  The release date isn't until Q4 2004 so its 2 years away.  There's no hardware shown, just specs.  Now that Nintendo knows what Sony has in store, they have more than enough time to counter the PSP.  But by the release of the PSP, the userbase of the the Gameboy Advance will just grow and grow.

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2003, 06:48:35 PM »
True, Nindendo does have plrenty of time to counter, no question on that point. And they should have no trouble matching the grpahical capabilties, the screen, and sound system. That should all be easy for them.

Where Nintendo is going to have serious trouble is where the media is concerned. Sony has announced that there system will use a media that has a higher capcity that a gamecube disc, but it even smaller. Nintendo will have the tough decision of to use a new media that can match the advantaged that sony will have, or to once again use rom carts and maintain backward compatabilty.

Hopefully they will choose the first option, or I will be going with the Sony handheld, and I suspect a lot of developers will too.

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2003, 07:14:45 PM »
I fear that portable gaming market will become a stream of lame games full of CG FMV.  I mean what else is going to take up almost 2gigs of space?  Textures?  Not with that resolution.  It would enable developers to make ever level of a game totally diferant than the ones before it, not rehashing elements to keep the space down.  But that does take time and money to do.  What other game related reason is there for MPEG-4 playback?  

As far as why Sony is talking about this now, one word, hype.   They want to hype up the PSP so people will wait and NOT buy gameboys.  It is a bit of a catch 22, because if Nintendo lets loose with the plans for the next uber-gameboy it will have the same effect, lower GBA sales.  Sony may not even have any hardware yet.  But we all know about it don't we?  We are all talking about Sony's next system, and on a Nintendo board no less!  Sony had to release this info in order to take the wind out of the GBA+GC link up wirlwind that Nintendo is trying to stir up.  I hope that by this time next year, at E3 (or maybe Spaceworld(if there even is a spaceworld anymore)), Nintendo will unleash some hand heald whoopass.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2003, 08:26:07 PM »
The type of media is of no concern because handheld games are meant to be short and easy to pick up and play.  It isn't much of a concern on the console so shouldn't be for a handheld.  Unless the game is nothing but FMV.  Plus, no developer will want to spend all their resource and time creating a handheld game.  That should be left to the console.  

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2003, 09:04:24 PM »
developers will spend resourcs an time to make games that will sell. Game on this system will sell. Not only that, but the system is powerful enough that seeing simultenous releases on the big consoles and this unit is not out of the question. all the money has already been spent on the home version, so it only takes a little more effort to modifty the game for the PSP. Very possible.

Offline ActorJ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 09:06:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Nintega
The type of media is of no concern because handheld games are meant to be short and easy to pick up and play.  It isn't much of a concern on the console so shouldn't be for a handheld.  Unless the game is nothing but FMV.  Plus, no developer will want to spend all their resource and time creating a handheld game.  That should be left to the console.

That's the kind of foolish, shortsighted thinking that has gotten Nintendo into trouble.

Offline muzein

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2003, 10:06:28 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks 4.5 inches is not very portable?  Hell..the GBA was a lil to big for me, I find the SP is the first handheld that is truely portable.  With its folding design and small size I can play games anywhere.  4.5 inches..then buttons..man this thing is gonna be UGLY.

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2003, 10:11:10 PM »
That was back in the N64 days, not with the Gamecube.  You don't need all that space unless it's all FMV.  And with a screen that small, you don't need DVD quality because you couldn't tell the difference.  Just because the media on the PSP has more space doesn't mean the game will sell nor does it mean they will use all of it.  Yeah, it's great that it has that much space but it isn't necessary for handheld games.  Take a look at some of the GBA games.  They look great and play great but the media it uses is cartridge.  And as I've stated, handheld games are meant to be short.  If you want to play a 50+ hour RPG/Adventure, stick to a console.