Author Topic: How's Okami on Wii?  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
How's Okami on Wii?
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
I'm trying to choose between this and the PS2 original. The con of getting the PS2 version is that I don't know if I have a working system to play it.

How good was the Wii version of Okami? Any big annoyances?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: How's Okami on Wii?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
I prefer the graphics on PS2. There were some filters there that didn't look the same way on Wii.

I prefer the drawing controls on Wii, although lots of people didn't. The dual analog controls might have been more consistent in some ways, but the pointer controls were (for me) easier and more natural feeling.

(Many people who complained about brush controls on Wii didn't know how to use the controls. One major review site - I think it was Giant Bomb - mentioned in the review that they couldn't draw a straight line and lowered the score because of that, but if you either pay attention to the tutorial OR look at the manual you'll find it's super easy to draw straight lines just by holding a button. Many complaints were similarly without reasonable justification, making it hard not to be skeptical when people are negative; however, controls on Wii do have a hard time interpreting a few drawings and many people are simply more comfortable with dual analogs anyway... so I don't feel there is a clear "winner" here.)

The dodge action was clearly better on PS2, where it was mapped to button instead of on Wii where it was mapped to spotty motion control via the nunchuck.

Wii offered widescreen support.

So kind of a mixed bag overall.  I am very happy with the Wii version and consider that the best version... but others disagree and have reasonable supporting arguments for preferring the PS2 version.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »
I suffer from a slight tremor in my hands. Would that affect my enjoyment of drawing with the Wii Remote?

And thanks for your post, ejamer. I also read the comments in the Wii review on NWR, so that was helpful as well.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »
While i never played the game (plan to), i know that Wii version had credits sequence taken out to avoid mentioning Clover employees that by the time of Wii port were closed down and all relocated to Platinum.

That credits sequence wasn't just a list of scrolling names too, as per tradition for Clover/Platinum it was fully playable credits.

Capcom basically cut down part of the gameplay simply to spite their former employees and to avoid crediting people who you know, worked on the game.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »
It's a pretty bad version of what was already not a terribly great Zelda clone to begin with. I did have issues with the drawing mechanics in the Wii version, but my biggest issue was just having to shake the Wiimote to attack. It's a recipe for carpal tunnel. If you must play Okami, there's Okami HD on the PS3. You do lose some of the useful functionality of the Wii version's more rapid drawing capability, but IMO the traditional combat controls far outweigh what you lose.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:14 PM »
I'm a sucker for physical, though. Gotta have something on the shelf!  :D

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:24 AM »
Put the Wii disc on the shelf and download the PS3 one to play. Win-Win for everybody.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:40:20 AM »
Put the Wii disc on the shelf and download the PS3 one to play. Win-Win for everybody.
Depends if you want cover with IGN watermark plastered on it.

I'm a sucker for physical, though. Gotta have something on the shelf!  :D
Pretty sure there is a physical PS3 disc for either Asian or Japan market,

Not sure about it's available languages situations, though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:59:19 AM »
It's all fun and dandy until you reach the digging minigame. *shudders*

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:55 AM »
If you do play the Wii version, though, equip the beads as soon as possible because the bead attack uses the nunchuk IIRC and doesn't require anywhere near as much waggle as the regular attacks do.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »
Follow Azeke's advice and buy the Japanese physical copy of the HD version. It's the superior version of the game and has english text, if I remember correctly. Gotta love that region free gaming

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
Or do what I did and get all three, then proceed to not play any of them.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
Or do what I did and get all three, then proceed to not play any of them.

Can't enable my buying habits like that. haha

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
I LOVED Okami. I need to go replay that game some time. I have Okamiden but I hate the d-pad controls. I would re-buy a 3DS version that has added control stick functionality.

Maybe we could see a N3DS version of both games?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
I've only played the Wii version so I can't compare, but it seems playable to me and didn't seem like anything was missing. I think the only thing they took out was the "minigame" on the loading screen where you can press the button at the right moment to score a demon fang or something.

I didn't feel the brush controls worked that well, probably because they were designed for an analogue stick and I don't think they altered them for the Wii pointer. The shapes you have to draw aren't very intuitive, but they can work consistently after you figure out what kind of things you have to draw that the game will recognise. You can also hold down a button to draw in a straight line, if you're too jittery to do so otherwise.

I didn't have a problem with the waggle control for attacking, but the combat does get real repetitive and tedious real fast, and so the waggle can pile on top of that. I'm not a fan of the game myself for that reason, just way too much repetitive and redundant combat. The art style is the best thing about it.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »
I only played the Wii version SO I can't compare but I can say that this game is amazing in my opinion.  The story, the art style, the music, the gameplay, the game's sense of humor, everything fit together incredibly well.  The motion controls are definitely not perfect but most of the time they worked well enough.  Since the beginning of the Wii generation there's been very few games that I've put as much time into and enjoyed as much as Okami.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
I, too, have only played the Wii version. At the time I couldn't really fathom how the game would be playable with a stick, regardless of the finicky input recognition. Having played W101 since, and mostly reverting to the stick to draw, I can see it being more feasible. With Okami, however, there are a number of "QTE" type scenes that require a series of extremely specific and quick inputs that almost broke the game on Wii. I seriously have never been as angry at a game as I was when redoing one of these scenes for the 20th time. I have no clue how that got past testing. As conjectured above, they probably didn't do enough work adapting the drawing system to motion input.

This version or that, though, I thought the game sucked on the fundamentals. Repetitive, boring level design, too long, lame combat. I recall the old Nintendo IGN team being flabbergasted that Okami won GOTY over Twilight Princess, when Twilight Princess was a much better Zelda-clone than the Zelda-clone that won.