Author Topic: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is the perfect game for hardcore FF fans  (Read 3125 times)

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I just finished powering through the game for about six hours and I just have to say... for even the most casual Final Fantasy fan, FF:CC is the perfect nostalgia trip. Every other song was something I remember from my childhood playing the older games and it almost made it teary eyed (ruining my score completely D:). And for some reason, even though I never played through the original FFXIV, "Answers" just gets me every time and I end getting a far lower score than I should. Such a beautiful song.

Does anyone else own this amazing game? Do you have a couple songs you love you'd like to share?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is the perfect game for hardcore FF fans
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Yeah I'm digging this a lot so far.  It has a "one more song" quality to it.  Sadly since I bought it on Tuesday I've only had about three hours to play it.

Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the series.  I have a general idea about the characters and such but feel like there is a mountain of references going over my head.  Plus because of my Nintendo oriented history I'm not very familiar with the music in the PlayStation games.  Still it passes the greatest test for when I buy a new game: I spend the day at work anxiously waiting to get home to play it some more.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
The game's alright. It's a more complete installment than the original game in any case, though I feel like they've more sidestepped the original game's issues, rather than actually corrected them. It's certainly led me to hate the X-2 soundtrack more than I already did.  ;)

One of my biggest issues with the game, though, is that there is way too big a jump between the Expert and Ultimate difficulties, which becomes a major issue in the Quest mode when the songs flip between the two settings. Also, is it just me or are some of the songs barely audible, particularly the 10, 12, and 13 songs? Finally, I despise the X-2 soundtrack, but "Thousand Words" is one of my favorite vocal songs in the entire series. So naturally, Square-Enix decided to use the original Japanese version of it in Curtain Call, rather than the excellent English version they just used earlier this year in X-2 HD. I can kind of understand the sheer laziness that lead to them using Japanese footage for some of the video: if they were going to use English footage, they'd have to capture new footage and re-edit it. I get that. But they couldn't be bothered to swap out a goddamn mp3 for Thousand Words? C'mon!

Also, WTF is with Square-Enix continually leaving Liberi Fatalli out of the Final Fantasy 8 lineup? It's the game's frickin' opening theme song. It was inexplicable that it was left out of the original Theatrhythm, and it's downright INEXCUSABLE that it's still not in the game now. I've heard it's a DLC song, so maybe we'll see it before too long, but it's really frustrating. For that matter, where's Eyes on Me, too?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:11:15 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:33:09 AM »
Both of those FF8 songs are not DLC. There might be licensing issues that we don't know about. And yeah, not using the English version of 1000 words for the English release was really stupid.

Not sure what issues you are having with the sound level of the songs, though. I found that turning my sound from "Surround" to "Stereo" in the system settings made the sound much louder and easier to hear. See if that helps.

My only problem is that we should be able to remix to sound levels of the music vs. the sound effects of the game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:19:22 AM »
Both of those FF8 songs are not DLC. There might be licensing issues that we don't know about.

Urge to kill someone at Square-Enix...RISING!!! Seriously, WHAT THE ****, Square-Enix?! Those are probably THE TWO MOST POPULAR FF8 songs!

Not sure what issues you are having with the sound level of the songs, though. I found that turning my sound from "Surround" to "Stereo" in the system settings made the sound much louder and easier to hear. See if that helps.

I'll give it a try. My 3DS was set to "Surround" by Default, so I just set it back to "Stereo". Hopefully that makes a big difference.

EDIT: Yep, that made a pretty big difference.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:13:20 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »
The speakers in general of the 3DS hardware isn't great. Works really terrifically with headphones, though. Helps to play the game with them, too.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:39 PM »
One of my biggest issues with the game, though, is that there is way too big a jump between the Expert and Ultimate difficulties, which becomes a major issue in the Quest mode when the songs flip between the two settings.

I definitely notice this.  I have yet to fail any song on Beginner or Expert but have only successfully completed an Ultimate song once.  I really would benefit from a level in between Expert and Ultimate.