Author Topic: Selling the DS :or: Is Conkers Bad Fur day just a pipe dream?  (Read 9811 times)

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Selling the DS :or: Is Conkers Bad Fur day just a pipe dream?
« on: October 27, 2004, 06:48:12 PM »
I was in Gamestop the other day, buying PM2 and chatting it up with the sales clerk.  I already have my DS preordered, and have loads of money down on the sucker.  

Anyhoo, he says (very cryptically, mind you), that he has it on from a reputable source (which he also didn't come out and name) that the likes of Starfox64, COnkers bad Fur Day, and even Goldeneye are all up for porting to the DS.

Just the thought of those three on the DS is enough to make all a twitter.  

Anyways...I know more than a few people who utterly hate the DS.  They see it as nothing more than a cheap gimmicky replacement for the GBA, no matter how much I argue.

If one were to assume that those three games, plus others from the 64, are actually going to be ported in the near future....would it be easier to call the DS a portable 64, as opposed to an entirely new system? I think I could sell more people on the idea, and not just drive them into a blind rage at the mere mention of the system.

Thoughts?  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
RE:Selling the DS :or: Is Conkers Bad Fur day just a pipe dream?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 07:38:11 PM »
Seems as though porting the N64 games to the DS is easy enough, I'd say go ahead and keep the ports coming!  As long as newer games actually utlizing the console's engine to its fullest are still being made, I'd love to see more of the N64's games given a second chance.

If it helps to sell the DS, go ahead and call it a "portable N64 on steroids".  You gotta work around the casual idiot's mind and find out what'll make them look beyond looks.

Offline foolish03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Selling the DS :or: Is Conkers Bad Fur day just a pipe dream?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:28:20 PM »
Iv'e heard about the goldeneye rumors. the others Im skeptical about.  I think calling it a portable n64 would spell doom from the start.  This is a very bad marketing strategy.  Seeing as how there trying to break away from the things the hampered the system, it would not be wise to call it the portable n64.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 08:52:41 PM »
IGN has I believe confirmed that the GoldenEye game being developed by EA would only be a Dual-Screen version of EA's, "GoldenEye:Rogue Agent" for the PS2, X-Box, and GameCube.  Which sucks.  I wan't the original GoldenEye with 60fps, eight-player support, and maybe just a few new levels.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:57:42 PM »
I would adore seeing all these games in the DS, but Im tired of Nintendos ports, its like mixed feelings y'know?  Maybe a compilation, couldnt several 64 games fit on a DS cart.  Or christ man maybe a sequel?  How hard would it be to get the starfox 64 engine, add some new levels, do a few neat things and churn out a new game?  Atleast how much more work would it be than porting it?  
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 12:35:06 AM »
For a game like Starfox I'd think touchscreen turret controls. Have one screen be your front view for flying and the touch screen your fire control screen where you aim your gun turret(s) at incoming enemies.

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 02:48:17 AM »
Although I would love to see CBFD appear on the DS, I can't see Microsoft allowing this since Conker: Live & Reloaded for the X-Box has virtually the same simgle-player game as the N64 title!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 04:46:06 AM »
KDR:

I love your idea for turrent control.  That could be very cool.

You could have the setup like such:

L Button:  fire bullets, or roll.

D-Pad for directions

Touchscreen turrent Control.  and special buttons for boosts, bombs, and rolls.

I would really enjoy a game like this.  Specially what you could design with the tank levels.

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 12:18:49 PM »
...I don't see why M$ would prevent that from happening.  Rare has released a few games for the GBA, and besides, I don't think M$ has control over games already released for Nintendo systems.  Sure, the Xbox version is basically the same thing with better graphics but....I just don't think Rare would willingly pass up an oppurtunity for more money.  KnowhatImean?

Anyhoo, it's all just conjecture as of now.  I would still love to see that ported though.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 02:36:10 PM »

Originally posted by: TMW
...I don't see why M$ would prevent that from happening.  Rare has released a few games for the GBA, and besides, I don't think M$ has control over games already released for Nintendo systems.  Sure, the Xbox version is basically the same thing with better graphics but....I just don't think Rare would willingly pass up an oppurtunity for more money.  KnowhatImean?

Anyhoo, it's all just conjecture as of now.  I would still love to see that ported though.

But Microsoft still has the final say as to what Rare does.  
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 04:38:04 AM »
The difference between what games are coming out for the GBA now, and new games coming out for the DS is simple.

Rare was already working on those games when Microsoft bought them.  MS decided it would be better to release those games and make a profit on them instead of just losing the money Rare invested in those products.  It was kinda a respect thing.  However, once those projects are done Microsoft could use the GBA team/s to start making Xbox games.

There is only one reason Microsoft would consider to keep their Rare GBA teams intact.  And that would be to sabatoge Sony with their fight against Nintendo in the handheld market.  If Microsoft was to release a portable Conker or Perfect Dark for DS it could sway alot of potential buyers to Nintendo DS and not PSP.  In turn, less profit and success of PSP means Sony is going into the next console battle with a portable failure, and more sour taste in the consumers mouth than the "god-like" status they have after the PS2 success.  

I don't think Microsoft will play this much hardball though.  I don't think they feel they will need to.

Offline foolish03

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 05:02:19 AM »
Yeah its not going to happen.  Microsoft will keep its AA titles on xbox.  Its that simple.
"If you can read these letters, Your waisting your time..."
---------------------------------------

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 12:59:42 AM »
Conker seems very very optimistic because its already being released for Xbox.  I wouldnt doubt MS had a portable system in the works so I guess maybe they believe they should just slowly back off from Nintendo support.  
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 01:44:48 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day on DS? No thanks. Not when there's a remake (eventually.. maybe.. blol Rare) going to appear on Xbox. Stafox 64/Lylat Wars would be pretty alright though. I'd rather a whole new version for DS, but stick Krystal in it and have voice command, I'll be happy.

"DO A BARREL ROLL"

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 03:02:54 PM »
live and reloaded is a remake of the 64 game with online features. I can see my post is a train wreck supporting the DS, simply because they really don't view nintendo as a threat.  If you ask an Xbox employee higher up they'll tell you that sony is their big competitor.  The only way I see my post is a train wreck telling rare to completly stop developing things for nintendo is if revolution cuts into their xenon sales.  I think that the big money is only concerned with sony for now.

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 03:14:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
The difference between what games are coming out for the GBA now, and new games coming out for the DS is simple.

Rare was already working on those games when Microsoft bought them.  MS decided it would be better to release those games and make a profit on them instead of just losing the money Rare invested in those products.  It was kinda a respect thing.  However, once those projects are done Microsoft could use the GBA team/s to start making Xbox games.

There is only one reason Microsoft would consider to keep their Rare GBA teams intact.  And that would be to sabatoge Sony with their fight against Nintendo in the handheld market.  If Microsoft was to release a portable Conker or Perfect Dark for DS it could sway alot of potential buyers to Nintendo DS and not PSP.  In turn, less profit and success of PSP means Sony is going into the next console battle with a portable failure, and more sour taste in the consumers mouth than the "god-like" status they have after the PS2 success.  

I don't think Microsoft will play this much hardball though.  I don't think they feel they will need to.

While your theory is well founded, you overlook the fact that Rare is developing Donkey Kong Country 2.  It wasnt part of the Rare's original GBA line up, so that shows that MS is letting Rare port the games to GBA.  Also, lets not forget that an Oddoworld game was made for the GBA, and Halo is allegedly in development for the GBA.  MS and Nintendo are closer than it seems...for handheld development at least.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Tunnelvision456

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 11:39:43 PM »
You can't forget "It's Mr. Pants" which was, as far as I'm aware, either not under development at the time of the buy out, or not far enough along to be worried about scraping it. Accualy, I'd rather see Perfect Dark. a sequal preferably, but I'd even take a port. It's still my favorite FPS.

Offline chain chomp

• Voted BEST by Pietriots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 06:19:32 AM »
i hope goldeneye  64 will be packed with rogue agent
starfox 64 i need
i never experienced conkers bsd fur day what is it
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 08:02:42 AM »
Goldeneye in Rouge Agent wont happen, too many hurdles (EA owns the Bond Licence, Rare made the game, Nintendo published it, Microsoft owns Rare now)

Star Fox 64 i would love to see on the DS

Conker's Bad Fur Day was one of the last great N64 games.  It was a platformer, that totally went against all Rare traditions (Read: no collecting stuff).  It spoofed many movies and was praised by all.  It was also very funny, though vulgar.  And last but not least, the Grim Reaper cannot help but bring a smile to your face.  The game is currently being "ported" to the XBox with Live support.  The game will be called Conker: Live and Reloaded
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 08:18:25 AM »
Ages:  I agree it won't happen, but there isn't that many hurdles.

1)Nintendo owns the rights to game and the code of the original Goldeneye game.  They just don't have the Bond license to release the game without some major name changes and tweaks.

2)EA owns the bonds license for right now.

All Nintendo would have to do is give EA the code for Goldeneye or work with EA to port it.  Or EA buys the code from Nintendo for this launch.

It won't happen.  Not in a million years.  So instead of worrying about it, lets just see what EA can cook up and the multiplayer features we will have with the system.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 09:38:21 AM »
Does Nintendo really own the code for GE?
They could port it and offer EA to throw in the N64 version for the DS and maybe the GC version.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »

Does Nintendo really own the code for GE?
Yep.

You can't forget "It's Mr. Pants" which was, as far as I'm aware, either not under development at the time of the buy out, or not far enough along to be worried about scraping it.
Actually it was in development.  I think it was supposed to be called Donkey Kong Crackers or something like that.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline Tunnelvision456

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 02:03:58 AM »
Are you sure? It's Mr. Pants looks more like Mario's Picross (Remember that game? Memories) . I don't remember Cocoanut Cackers having you form simple pictures. I thought it was more on the lines of "Make perfect squares out of these falling cocoanuts which are filled with paint for some reason.". besides, considering how little it costs to develop for the GBA, the idea that they are just finishing what they have doesn't realy seem likey. I'm sure Mother 3/Earthbound 64 costed more than all those GBA games combined and then some.  Also, I distinctly recall Microsoft themselves developing a couple GBA games, granted his was before the X-box was released but it was in development.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 02:12:35 AM »
Rare confirmed that Coconut Crackers had been transformed into It's Mr Pants a very long time ago...Not to say they are identical...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2004, 10:36:38 AM »
And there you have it.  Thanks, Bill.
-Kenny