Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718132 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #3425 on: August 28, 2010, 12:53:53 PM »
Do you think that the virtual console will be carried over to the wii 2?

I want to see more TMNT games for the virtual console.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:12:48 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: August 28, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
Yes. Nintendo has no reason to start from scratch. They may change the shop itself, but it will have the same catalogue.

My only question is whether they will allow people to copy their download games from the Wii to the next system. Considering that the Shop Channel account is stored on the system rather than Nintendo's servers, and each and every system uses slightly different encryption to prevent copying download games to another system, it may not be technically possible.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: August 28, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
Here are some Neo-Geo games that have never been released on the VC:

Last Resort
Pulstar
King of Fighter 1998
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Fatal Fury 1999

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: August 28, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
Yes. Nintendo has no reason to start from scratch. They may change the shop itself, but it will have the same catalogue.

My only question is whether they will allow people to copy their download games from the Wii to the next system. Considering that the Shop Channel account is stored on the system rather than Nintendo's servers, and each and every system uses slightly different encryption to prevent copying download games to another system, it may not be technically possible.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be technically possible, considering if you have your Club Nintendo account tied to your Wii Shop account it keeps track of everything you've purchased.  Just allow the next-generation Wii to link itself to that account as well and re-download everything in your Club Nintendo list.  Of course, I doubt Nintendo will allow that because that's throwing away an opportunity to extort more cash from us by making us repurchase everything.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: August 28, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be technically possible, considering if you have your Club Nintendo account tied to your Wii Shop account it keeps track of everything you've purchased.  Just allow the next-generation Wii to link itself to that account as well and re-download everything in your Club Nintendo list.  Of course, I doubt Nintendo will allow that because that's throwing away an opportunity to extort more cash from us by making us repurchase everything.

If Saturn and Dreamcast are going to be on the wii 2 virtual console then I want to focus my money on those games and what ever straglers that are left over from the current virtual console that I have yet to pick up.

P.S. I know that the Saturn is difficult to emulate, but SEGA themselves have admitted that they could work around the problem.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: August 28, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
There are Saturn games on other systems so there is no reason they couldn't do it on Wii 2.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: August 28, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be technically possible, considering if you have your Club Nintendo account tied to your Wii Shop account it keeps track of everything you've purchased.
Does it keep track of everything, or only games eligible for coins which you purchased after you linked your account? If it's the latter, it would not be a viable option.

The reason I don't know this is because I was not able to successfully link my account. There's another issue wit the proposal.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: August 28, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
All VC/WW games are eligible for coins and all on mine have shown up.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: August 28, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
Incorrect. Most games released before December 2008 are not eligible for coins. Do they still show up?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: August 28, 2010, 05:19:37 PM »
There are Saturn games on other systems so there is no reason they couldn't do it on Wii 2.

Which ones?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
Incorrect. Most games released before December 2008 are not eligible for coins. Do they still show up?

Yes, they still show up.  I'm not sure if games you purchased before linking your accounts show up, though.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3436 on: August 28, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
All VC and WiiWare games bought will be registered to your account, you just may not get coins for all of them. It's the same way that you can still register GBA games, you just won't get any coins for them. Same for games bought before you linked your accounts.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: August 28, 2010, 10:43:24 PM »
Hopefully I'll soon find out if older downloads show up. I never got around to contacting Nintendo about the linking issue since I don't care so much, but now I'm curious.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3438 on: August 28, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
I purchased Bonk's Adventure and Bomberman '93 back in November 2006, I just checked and they are listed in my registered games list (with November 28, 2006 as the date). I will admit that before I bought the games I had synced my Club Nintendo account with the Wii system (since it asks you if you want to do it), so I can't comment on that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: August 29, 2010, 06:13:57 AM »
It works retroactively. I linked my sisters Wii to my Club account when she got her Wii online finally and all of her older purchases on VC and WW showed up on the Club list.
My Game Collection

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: August 29, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
How do you synch your wii to club Nintendo? I have never done this and would be very interested in doing so.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:59:14 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3441 on: August 29, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/channelsShop.jsp

The first time you log onto the Wii Shop Channel, it asks you if you want to link a Club Nintendo account with your Wii Shop Channel account. If you didn't do that, here is how you can do it later:

1. Access the Wii Shop Channel through the Wii console.
   2. Select "Settings" from the list of options.
   3. Select "Link Your Club Nintendo Membership."
   4. Enter your Club Nintendo account's Username and Password.
   5. Click "Link" to complete the process.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: August 29, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/channelsShop.jsp

The first time you log onto the Wii Shop Channel, it asks you if you want to link a Club Nintendo account with your Wii Shop Channel account. If you didn't do that, here is how you can do it later:

1. Access the Wii Shop Channel through the Wii console.
   2. Select "Settings" from the list of options.
   3. Select "Link Your Club Nintendo Membership."
   4. Enter your Club Nintendo account's Username and Password.
   5. Click "Link" to complete the process.

Thank you. I just registered all of my games onto club Nintendo and I achieved gold status with about 350 points.  :cool;

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: August 29, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
*cue UncleBob calling Kytim89 a wimp for not achieving Platinum status in one day*

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: August 29, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
It would probably also be possible, perhaps with a software update, for the wii to write an encrypted file to an SD card that can be read exactly once by a Wii 2, and copies the game list over.  It would need to be verified online, though, to make sure it isn't used multiple times.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »
Could Nintendo revonvate the wii shop channel and make it faster via a firm ware upgrade? Basically it easier to manage and better to accomdate the user.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
Could Nintendo revonvate the wii shop channel and make it faster via a firm ware upgrade? Basically it easier to manage and better to accomdate the user.

Sure (they've already done it once before), but somehow I doubt they care enough to fix it considering stuff is (apparently?) selling on the service anyway and rebuilding the Wii Shop service would cost money.  I think the kind of update we're looking for will have to wait until Wii 2 releases, which would give Nintendo a chance to completely rebuild the Shop from scratch with better coding.  At least, that's what I would hope for considering Iwata apparently cares about online now, if interviews with him are to be believed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:49:54 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: August 29, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »
I think WiiWare sales and Mario Kart WiFi woke them up to the realities of online business. They know they blew it in a number of areas and realize all of the untapped potential with online.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: August 29, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »
Besides that, where else can Nintendo go from here? Nintendo needed a powerful marketing campaign in order to win over the casual/mainstream/non-gamer/whatever-you-want-to-call-them audience, and now that they have established their brand amongst them, they no longer need to focus so much attention on them. The 3DS shows Nintendo is trying their best to strike a balance between "casual" and "hardcore," and by the looks of it, it has already succeeded. And they will do the same for their next system. One obvious thing they could include for the "hardcore" crowd is a good online interface, which may actually not be so foreign to the "casual" crowd if done right, seeing all the online card games people play on Yahoo.

Plus, considering all the success and profit Nintendo just made, they can sink plenty of money into their next system because it's practically guaranteed to sell.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:35 PM »
I don't think Nintendo is going to go into it assuming they'll be successful because they were successful this generation. That attitude is a big part of what happened with the N64, and I expect them to be very careful because of that history.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent