Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718106 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #3175 on: January 12, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »
I have a Game Boy Player and I don't think it makes games look bad, so it's good to know that it looks the same as that. It isn't as sharp as it could be I'm sure, but it isn't something that bothers me so I'd be fine with it.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3176 on: January 18, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »
http://Http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=21900

First on Wiiware we have Muscle March for 500 points.The Amazing Brain Train for 600 points.

On Dsiware we have Starship Defence for 500 points.Dark Void Zero for 500 points. Chronos Twins for 500 points.Me and my Dogs:Friends forever for 800 points.

On the VC we have Shadow Dancer:The Secret of Shinobi for 800 points.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3177 on: January 18, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
Starship Defense (I know you spell it with a defense as "defence" in Europe, but that is the name of the games is NOT "Starship Defence") was released in Europe last month as Starship Patrol. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi and Me And My Dog: Friends Forever are also out in PAL regions already. [/i]Muscle March[/i] is out in Japan. The Amazing Brain Train!, Dark Void Zero, and Chronos Twin are getting released here first.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3178 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
MUSCLE MARCH

START THE YEAR OFF RIGHT
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 18, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Muscle March is really tempting at only $5, but while it looks like a really insane game I'm not sure it looks funny enough to actually buy.  It's kind of like how the RFN crew treated Cho Aniki for a while, but then people actually bought the game and then their enthusiasm really dropped.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Games that Should be on the Virtual Console
« Reply #3180 on: January 18, 2010, 10:58:55 PM »
Here is a list of games that should be on the Virtual Console:

Coker's Bad Fur Day
Earthbound
Golden Eye 007
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Romancing Saga 1-3
Final Fantasy Mystiq Quest
Live A Live
Secret of Evermore
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure of Rudras
Treasure Hunter G
Illusion of Gaia
Soul Blazer
Star Ocean
Mega Man 4-7

SEGA Saturn games:

Dragon Force
Guardian Heroes
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Burning Rangers
Radiant Silvergun
Hyper Duel
Albert Odyssey

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: January 19, 2010, 02:15:46 PM »
Kytim89, yes they should, but most will certainly not. You have pretty big wish lists, i'd love those things to happen, but all the rare and sega stuff is super duper unlikely. Don't torcher your self like I torcher myself over the new sonic.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day - Not happening, owned by Rare.
Earthbound - Not happening, copyright issues are not worth solving.
Golden Eye 007 - Not happening, licencing issues.
Banjo-Kazooie - Not happening, owned by Rare
Banjo-Tooie - Not happening, owned by Rare
Donkey Kong 64 - Possible
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Possible
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Very unlikely, but possible
Secret of Evermore - Unlikely but possible
Illusion of Gaia - Unlikely but possible
Mega Man 4-7 - All possible

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3183 on: January 19, 2010, 03:20:33 PM »
Technically Rare doesn't own anything, it's Microsoft that owns those IPs (Microsoft could shut down Rare or let Rare become independent, but MS would still own the IPs).

Donkey Kong 64 is unlikely since it would require too much alteration. Part of the game requires you to play IP's owned by Microsoft (like Jetpac). So Nintendo would have to go in and take those games out and maybe replace them with new games. It would require so much effort that Nintendo would probably have to charge at least 1500 Wii Points to justify the cost.

As for EarthBound, the copyright issues are just rumors. Even if the rumors are true, all they would have to do is take out those songs if they didn't want to pay the royalty rates. That would take them 1 or 2 days with like 2 people to take care of. I think they may eventually do it.

Saturn games will probably never happen. I won't say it's guaranteed not to happen since we have seen some TurboGrafx-CD games, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: January 19, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
I think there is no legal issue because aren't remixes and satire protected under copyright laws? They aren't carbon copies of the original songs. If the legal debacle is true then its probably just an over paranoid legal team (which sounds right for NoA).

Saturn and PS1 games are possible on WiiWare I would think. Not all of them, but aren't even some Dreamcast games small enough to work on their service size restrictions? Though I would more expect games from those systems to actually come as retooled WiiWare titles. We already have a few PS2 ports on WiiWare.

I still want old DOS games to come to VC like Day of the Tentacle and Kings Quest.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 20, 2010, 03:23:05 AM »
Remixes are legal but require licensing fees AFAIK.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: January 25, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
As I understand it, Saturn games are notoriously hard to emulate. 
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 25, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Saturn and PS1 games are possible on WiiWare I would think.
The limit is 40MB which is pretty small in the big scheme of things. Considering that a PlayStation or Saturn disc is 650MB, are there really any games that were small enough to fit onto Nintendo's download service? Would there be any licencing issues from re-releasing a PlayStation game?

We already have a few PS2 ports on WiiWare.
I wasn't aware of that. I'm just curious, what are they?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I wasn't aware of that. I'm just curious, what are they?
I know both the Cocoto games are PS2 ports.  Not sure if there are any others.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: January 25, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
The chariot racing game is also a PS2 port.

I'm also willing to bet that Chu Chu Rocket has a pretty small file size.

Remember some of Nintendo's bigger games are really tiny like Animal Crossing City Folk. So I'm sure some previous gen titles (especially 2D ones) could potentially fit. As far as licensing goes, just remove the Playstation and Sony splash screens and old copyright info if there are any. You think Rare and Microsoft kept the N64 and Nintendo logos on Banjo and Perfect Dark?
My Game Collection

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: January 26, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »
Seriously, the fact that Chu Chu Rocket has not come to the DS in any form, especially now with the possibility of DSiWare, is inexcusable. It's like Pac-Man Vs. on WiiWare: there's no goddamn reason it shouldn't have happened yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3191 on: January 26, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Would there be any licencing issues from re-releasing a PlayStation game?

No. Unless Sony owns some of the rights to the game, being a PlayStation game has no effect on licensing or rights to any game. Obviously they won't be released on the VC though, so they would have to be re-made specifically for WiiWare.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: January 27, 2010, 04:56:02 AM »
I recall hearing somewhere that a WiiWare Pac-Man VS was int he works. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a rumor that got spread around.
My Game Collection

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: February 08, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »
Can't wait to download Blaster Master: Overdrive when I get home.  I was hoping against hope that Rondo of Blood would come out today as well.  No dice.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: February 08, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
I downloaded the new Blaster Master, and so far I'm really not liking it all that much.  There are some nice improvements over the original game, such as actually having a Metroid-style map and save points, but there are also some just boneheaded mistakes.  For instance, when I first started the game it resized itself about 3 times and still didn't get it right.  I had to change the aspect ratio of my TV from 16:9 to 4:3 and back again for the aspect ratio to sink in right.  There doesn't seem to be any support for the Nunchuck or Classic Controller, and the default controls have issues (such as holding the B trigger to strafe).  They actually managed to come up with a story even dumber than the original game (OMG!  A strain of virus has mutated all the animals in the world and brought about the end of the world!  And you're piloting a rebuilt SOPHIA tank in memory of your dead family!  Yar!).  The level design feels more segmented now, and the enemies are very generic.  The game is also kind of hard, as I've played up to the first boss and have died twice already (once against the boss, once in the tank) because you start off with tiny health bars you need to find upgrades for.  Oh, and you have only one life, so if you die against a boss be prepared to trudge all the way back to it from your last save point.  And getting hit still decreases your weapon gauge, though you have 3 different weapon types now (blaster, curvy blue fireball, and targeted missile).

The sense of discovery is quite nice, though, and the music is a lot better than that horrible remix during the teaser trailer indicated.  I don't know, maybe this game gets a lot better but so far it's falling into the same "It's Blaster Master, but EXTREEEEEEEEEME!" hole that every other attempt to revive Blaster Master seems to fall into.

EDIT: Well, Jonny will be happy.  The very first upgrade you get is a grappling hook.   :P:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:26:43 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3195 on: February 09, 2010, 05:03:52 AM »
They actually managed to come up with a story even dumber than the original game

I think that was the original game's story in Japan.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: February 09, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
Seriously, the fact that Chu Chu Rocket has not come to the DS in any form, especially now with the possibility of DSiWare, is inexcusable. It's like Pac-Man Vs. on WiiWare: there's no goddamn reason it shouldn't have happened yet.

Well, the Pac-Man NES port on the VC is probably why; I believe that's selling pretty well.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3197 on: February 15, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »
Today's games
For Wiiware we have Phoenix Wright Ace Attourney:Justice for all for 1000 Wii points.
Art of Balance for 800 points.
Warmen tactics for 800 points.
On DSiware we have Spotto! for 200 DSiware points.
Spaceball Revolution for 500 points.
Scrabble Classic for 800 points.
Real Soccer 2010 for 800 points.
Prehistorik Man for 800 points.

Finally on the VC is Sonic&Knuckles for 800 points. Yes this game features Lock on Technology.You just had to have one of the previous 3 Sonic games already purchased.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:10:53 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »

Well, the Pac-Man NES port on the VC is probably why; I believe that's selling pretty well.

But they serve different interest groups and a WiiWare version would cost minimal development resources and they could charge more for it.

Yay for the next Phoenix Wright, I'm just about done with the first one. But why can't I D/L the 5th chapter?

Nice to see that the VC game has lock-on technology. This means I'm buying the VC version over the DS compilation since I already own some of the Sonics on VC.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: February 15, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
Yay for the next Phoenix Wright, I'm just about done with the first one. But why can't I D/L the 5th chapter?
The 5th chapter isn't going to be made available until after the third game comes out.  It's not a big deal--storewise it has nothing to do with the rest of the 3-game series.  If anything, it's more of a transition chapter between T&T and Apollo Justice.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!