Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718138 times)

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #2225 on: August 18, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »

I've been playing a lot of Gyrostarr, this game is pretty damn cool. It really didn't get started for me till about level 22. Also I wish the motion controls worked better, they would be badass if it was a little less sensitive.

Don't you have to start at the beginning every time though?

Hell no, the game would be deathly boring otherwise.  You just start a game, then enter your initials and click once to the left on the level select and it'll give you the last unlocked level.

Speaking of which, how many levels are there? I'm on level like 32.

The game has 50 levels.

The game is going to start kicking your butt soon, like this enemy that moves around and takes more shots to kill, its more tedious than hard. Also some of the levels will have more invisible sections and it might be hard to see the energy orbs and lots of enemies near end that take down your life so you can come close to the end of the level and get owned and fail and feel cheated.
Fun game worthy my money but after i was done with the 50 levels I WAS DONE with the game.

Take note neo turf masters is on the SNK volume 1 disc. If your thinking of 3 games on VC that are neogeo games you might as well get the disc because 3 games are 2700 points and SNK volume 1 is 29.99 on Wii.

Same for Megaman.  Mine as well pick this one up.  I see it at Gamestop all the time used for around 5 bux.  Its has the same VC game plus a bunch of others.

Two problems with that package. 1) button controls switched 2) cube controller is not ideal for this type of game. Control pad to small and control stick isn't fun.

Also I haven't played mega man in years, so I don't remember if I enjoy it. I rather spend $5 and not like the game than buy a collection that I won't play because I don't like the series.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 18, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »
Glad to here it gets harder. Cause the first 20 levels were damn easy.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 18, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »
That's cool that you can start on any level.  I believe I heard Bozon from IGN mention you had to start at the beginning every time. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
I believe I heard Bozon from IGN mention you had to start at the beginning every time. 

I believe your points reset to zero every time you play, so if you're playing for a high score, you really need to start at the beginning and play through the entire game in a single sitting.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 18, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »
I wouldn't play it if you did.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: August 19, 2008, 02:58:27 AM »
I wouldn't play it if you did.

Exactly. The game is fun, but it can get very frustrating and tedious and the thrill sort of fades.

DAaaMan64 what do you think about the bonus missions, I really enjoy them more than regular levels. The sense of speed in those levels is amazing and the normal levels just start to get fast right before it ends so its a tease.

I should stop thinking about this game its giving me warm fuzzy feelings for F-zero GX and sadly I think that franchise is dead now :-(

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: August 19, 2008, 03:24:17 AM »
F-Zero GX fucking rules. But honestly I find those Bonus Missions disappointing and boring. Once you get up to those ridiculous speeds, it's luck if you get any energy at all.

F-Zero won't die. I expect one on Wii eventually.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2232 on: August 19, 2008, 04:15:09 AM »
I agree with what you said about F-Zero GX. It is one of my favorite GC games. I tend to like the Bonus stages in Gyrostarr even when it is out of control.I just like the feeling I get out of those stages.It's Awesome.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 19, 2008, 04:25:51 AM »
The bonus stages in Gyrostarr are my favorites too, they really give me incentive to play the regular ones well so I get to them.

The release of Midnight Pool now pushes the total space requirements of the stuff that I really want but don't have room for into quadruple digits, and it would probably be a lot higher if I went through the lists and saw everything that's there.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 19, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
F-Zero GX ****ing rules. But honestly I find those Bonus Missions disappointing and boring. Once you get up to those ridiculous speeds, it's luck if you get any energy at all.

F-Zero won't die. I expect one on Wii eventually.

I have no hope for this. I read somewhere that Miyamoto  hates F-zero GX and i don't think it sold to well, and Nintendo isn't doing hardcore games like that again.

I really wish they would release that F-Zero X level editor on Wiiware and just let us make our own levels and send them over to friends and use the F-zero GX disk to load stuff. Is that even possible ?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: August 19, 2008, 11:22:52 AM »
You didn't read that anywhere and Miyamoto wouldn't say that.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 19, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I love the speed in GX but damn, the game kicks my a##!! 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2237 on: August 19, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
Mega Man Anniversary Collection is weird.  The buttons are switched, which in and of itself would not be a big deal, but with the horrible Gamecube controller and button design it can be frustrating.

But, MMA really makes the Mega Man game experience too easy (except for the Wily levels) because you can save after beating every boss.  And I know there is password features for the NES games, but it is still password for some reason I found running through all the Mega Man's basic levels much easier in MMA than in the original NES games. 

The series is fun though, but you do realize that after Mega Man 6, the series goes downhill fast...and I do believe it is because of the more advanced and detailed art style.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »
Passwords are a fucking major pain in the ass. Did you check if the feeling of lower difficulty is still there or is it just because you got much better since then?

Dunno, I liked MM7 back when I played it. Didn't people complain about the games going downhill much earlier than 7?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 19, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »

Miyamoto might have been referring to the GBA games actually.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 19, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

Miyamoto might have been referring to the GBA games actually.

GBA games weren't actually anything I enjoyed much. GX is one of my favorites ever.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 19, 2008, 11:27:32 PM »

Found it the quote I remember about Miyamoto talking about F-zero GX

Clicky

You've had great success in your ability to predict what players will find fun to play. Have there been games that you thought would be fun but didn't turn out that way?

Yes, that has definitely happened. In the past we've worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver . And, well, to be honest with you, Zelda: Twilight Princess is not doing very well at all in Japan. It is very disappointing. But it is doing okay here in America.

I agree that Namco did a horrible job with Star Fox ASSault , but F-zero GX is an amazing game so the fact he disaproves seems like the kiss of death to that type of game, and he has allot of pull in Nintendo so my ASSUMPTION is a real sequel of F-Zero GX is unlikely and if it returns it will be different. Which is sad because F-zero GX engine is actually fantastic, so new levels, new missions, and online vs and create a track and that will be enough of an update to make me happy. Imagine 30 players online racing at 60FPS, that would be AWESOME. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:32:18 PM by Mr. Adolph Vega »

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 20, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
MAV thanks for the link. Thats a big jump from what you said in your original post. At least I think ti is.

I have no hope for this. I read somewhere that Miyamoto  hates F-zero GX and i don't think it sold to well, and Nintendo isn't doing hardcore games like that again.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 20, 2008, 01:49:41 AM »
MAV thanks for the link. Thats a big jump from what you said in your original post. At least I think ti is.

yeah that was my commentary sorry if it mixed up. I'm still bitter with Nintendo

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 20, 2008, 02:47:36 AM »
That quote gives me hope that the next Star Fox game will be developed in-house.

J.P. Corbran

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 20, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »
That quote gives me hope that the next Star Fox game will be developed in-house.

Was star fox DS developed in house, I don't remember. I thought that game was ok.

speaking of star fox I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SNES star fox on virtual console.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »
Star Fox Command was developed by Q Games, not Nintendo. I enjoyed the game but I didn't like the lack of traditional on-rails Star Fox levels and also how short the combat sequences were.

I'd also like to see the original Star Fox on the VC, I've never really played it, and, though I know it won't happen, I'd love to see Nintendo take the Star Fox 2 ROM that's been floating around the internet forever and fix it up and put it on the VC.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 20, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
StarFox 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Command.

Command is not good and never will be. Open your eyes and play StarFox 2.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 20, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
I have it on my Homebrew Channel, I'll get around to it at some point.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 21, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »
Star Fox needs the Superman Returns treatment where they pretend only the first two games exist (which storyline wise are identical anyway).  Anyone who puts Krystal in the game for example isn't the right dev for the job.  The right team would HATE Krystal because they would hate Star Fox Adventures and would never want anything resembling that game to be in their Star Fox game.  That's like trying to reboot Star Wars but with Jar Jar Binks in it.

And if Nintendo refuses to drop the crappy Star Fox games from continuity then just make it take place in between Star Fox 64 and Adventures.  Easy as pie.

I would love it if Star Fox 2 was released on the VC.  I'd love to try it out on a TV with a real controller and the whole bit.