Author Topic: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread  (Read 718132 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Official Virtual Console Mondays Thread
« Reply #1975 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:35 PM »
Yea Dig Dug never came to the states.The only time I can think of that Dig Dug came to the states is in compilations like Namco Museum for the GC and GBA oh and on the 64.BMBU came to the states although not legally as Mario Baby.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 09, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »
I think we should make it clear the Dig Dug was available in the States but just not on the NES.  There were home ports like the Atari 2600 version that were available here.

I think they should waive the import surcharge in this case because Dig Dug really doesn't feel like an import title.  It was a popular arcade game here, it was released on home consoles here, it is widely available on retro compilations in arcade perfect form (ie: superior to the NES).  The phrase "import title" is something we associate with a game that never left Japan.  That's what we're willing to pay extra for, not some technicality.

Though it makes you wonder why they never localized the Famicom version of Dig Dug.  The Donkey Kong games were a few years old by the time they came out on the NES and that didn't seem to bother people.  Hell Namco themselves didn't release Pac-Man on the NES until 1993, over TEN YEARS after it was released in arcades and years after the NES was no longer relevent.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1977 on: June 09, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
Thanks for the info Ian I didn't know that. Yea I remember in my old NP that they released it at at that time. I believe that fans  wanted Pac-man on the nes.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 09, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
Another Monday, another drop of turds.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 09, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »
Damn guys, thought it was released stateside on the NES. Still feels like we're getting boned on this one. I've always "dug" Dig Dug, however it's just not worth the 100 point "import" premium. It's barely worth 500 points considering you can play it on the Wii already, via numerous incarnations of "Namco Museum".
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: June 09, 2008, 03:15:36 PM »
They charge 600 for Ninja Gaiden here because it uses the US name instead of the PAL name... That would be like charging 600 for Contra because it's not called Probotector.

I have Dig Dug on the C64 so yeah, no buy for me.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 09, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »
They charge 600 for Ninja Gaiden here because it uses the US name instead of the PAL name... That would be like charging 600 for Contra because it's not called Probotector.

I have Dig Dug on the C64 so yeah, no buy for me.

I would gladly pay 600 points for Contra.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 09, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
An extra dollar to import it over the internet?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 10, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
An extra dollar to import it over the internet?

I believe the rationalization for the higher price tag is to cover any localization costs that might have been needed to make that title available outside of Japan.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 10, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
The Wii Shop is stupid. I was trying to download a game, Gradius, which I had (barely) enough blocks to fit on my Wii and then it tells me it requires 92 blocks, more than 4 times what it actually needs, and because I don't have that much space I can't download it. This resulted in about 45 minutes of deleting and redownloadinng VC games in order to make everything fit, made increasingly longer by my unknowingly deleting games (such as Ice Hockey, Super Mario Bros., A Link to the Past, and Sonic 2) that also require significantly more blocks to download than they actually take up on the Wii.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 11, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
The Wii Shop is stupid. I was trying to download a game, Gradius, which I had (barely) enough blocks to fit on my Wii and then it tells me it requires 92 blocks, more than 4 times what it actually needs, and because I don't have that much space I can't download it. This resulted in about 45 minutes of deleting and redownloadinng VC games in order to make everything fit, made increasingly longer by my unknowingly deleting games (such as Ice Hockey, Super Mario Bros., A Link to the Past, and Sonic 2) that also require significantly more blocks to download than they actually take up on the Wii.

It's much easier to copy every downloaded game channel over to an SD card. This way if you have to delete one from your Wii, you can easily restore it without having to fumble through the Wii Shop Channel and finding the game(s) to re-download later.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1986 on: June 11, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
Rhoq:  True until you have to load it back into the Wii to play the game...and then you wait FOREVER...also to copy it to the SD card and delete it in the first place.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 11, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »

It's much easier to copy every downloaded game channel over to an SD card. This way if you have to delete one from your Wii, you can easily restore it without having to fumble through the Wii Shop Channel and finding the game(s) to re-download later.

I don't have an SD card with the space to do that at the monent. What makes the story even more horrible (and funny if you look at it from the right perspective) is at the time I had a new 2 GB SD card ordered that I'm just waiting for it to arrive, so if this had happened a week later it wouldn't be a problem.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 11, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
but you should never have to delete them from the SD card, and it takes less than a minute to put a game back onto the Wii system memory if you don't have it clear full.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 11, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
 It'll take me a month to move 63 VC games and 6 Wii Wares to an SD card. A continuous month, not just over the course of the month.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 11, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
grow up. I moved everything I have on to the SD card and it took like an hour. Once you get it all moved to the SD card your life will be so much easier. it really is simple and fast. You just have to be willing to wait a minute to get your game instead of a half a second. Stop being lazy/impatient and do what it takes to make it work.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 11, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
I never said I wasn't going to do it, I just said that it was going to take a while. I just hope I'll have the space left on the card after I load on all my homebrew stuff.

J.P. Corbran

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »
ok then sorry. I just hear everyone bitch and moan how much time it takes, forgetting that this is the first time in history you had a console you could manage your games like this. I know the feeling, you wanna flip through all your VC games in the Wii Menu cuz it's easier and more fun, but no matter what method you use, it is a lot faster and simpler than switching consoles, carts, channels, etc.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1993 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »
You know I have stored almost every game on my SD card...I took the time.  I am not complaining...but I know it takes awhile to save on the SD card and such.

I also do not mind if Nintendo doesn't create a hard drive...I just wish they would do something.

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:27 PM »
I was thinking about the file size difference between what it actually takes and what the shop channel claims, what if it is figuring save state data also?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: June 12, 2008, 03:33:16 AM »
And the emulator, most likely, which apparently is downloaded every time but only stored once.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 12, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »
It'll take me a month to move 63 VC games and 6 Wii Wares to an SD card. A continuous month, not just over the course of the month.

Nah - It took me about 45 minutes to copy 40 VC games, 3 WiiWare games and crap like the EveryBody Votes Channel and the Check Mii Out Channel (and purged that garbage from my Wii) - also backed-up the Internet Channel.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 12, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
You know I have stored almost every game on my SD card...I took the time.  I am not complaining...but I know it takes awhile to save on the SD card and such.

True but even my largest VC game (Sin & Punishment) and channel (Internet Channel) took no more than a minute each to copy. It just feels like it takes longer because copying a file shouldn't take any longer than a a second or two considering the fact that these relatively small files in terms of MBs.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:54:37 AM by Rhoq »
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline animecyberrat

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: June 12, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
aren't they also encrypting them so we don't load them into emulators on our PC's?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
I was thinking about the file size difference between what it actually takes and what the shop channel claims, what if it is figuring save state data also?
And the emulator, most likely, which apparently is downloaded every time but only stored once.

Those things aren't going to turn a 20 block game into a 92 block game. My SD card just came in the mail so I should get to work.

J.P. Corbran